Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom linked to backup copy of photoshop  (Read 3630 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Lightroom linked to backup copy of photoshop
« on: June 01, 2013, 03:44:09 am »

Somehow, Lightroom is linked to the copy of Photoshop that's on my backup drive.  If I have Photoshop open, Lightroom will open a second instance of Photoshop from the backup drive.  I have this drive live because carbon copy cloner clones my startup/application SSD to a hard drive each night automatically.  I can't seem to figure out how to force lightroom to use the copy in the standard application folder.  Because of this I'm always getting an "application moved" when Photoshop starts from Lightroom as well.

OS X 10.8.3, Lightroom and Photoshop are most recent versions. (not LR beta 5)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Lightroom linked to backup copy of photoshop
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:48:06 pm »

Try zipping the main PS app on the backup drive and relaunch LR and edit in Photoshop.

I had this happen to me a couple of times when I booted from the BU drive so I could do a hard reset of the Printing system to do screenshots...I had run LR & PS from the BU drive...but when I went back to the main boot drive, LR was still trying to launch the BU version.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:54:06 pm »

While I can't figure out how your LR got to using your backup copy of Photoshop, you can do a quick workaround by Preferences>External Editor tab> and make the secondary Edit In the Photoshop folder and file that you want.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:47:34 pm »

Try this (from here):

Solution 1: Rebuild the Photoshop plist file.

Close Photoshop Lightroom.

Navigate to the //Users/[user name]/LIbrary/Preferences/ folder.
    Drag the com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file in the Trash.
    Start Photoshop. Photoshop re-creates the plist file.

Important: Apple made the user library folder hidden by default with the release of Mac OS X 10.7 and later. If you need access to files in the hidden library folder to perform Adobe-related troubleshooting, see How to access hidden user library files.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:07 pm »

So sort of followed Jeff's suggestion, quit LR and unmounted the backup drive, relaunched LR and then opened a file in PS from LR.  Greeted with "the application has moved" and asked for a password to update the location, then the correct photoshop Launched.  Quit everything and rebooted the computer and it seems the correct copy of PS now launches.

Odd, I also have no clue how it linked to the backup drive.  Hopefully this sticks.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »

Thanks for asking the question, Wayne. I've had the same problem for the last couple of months when trying to open PSDs from Lightroom and I figured I'd just messed something up and resigned myself to opening them by dragging the picture to the PS app icon. Now back to normal (until LR5 arrives...)

So sort of followed Jeff's suggestion, quit LR and unmounted the backup drive, relaunched LR and then opened a file in PS from LR.  Greeted with "the application has moved" and asked for a password to update the location, then the correct photoshop Launched.  Quit everything and rebooted the computer and it seems the correct copy of PS now launches.

Odd, I also have no clue how it linked to the backup drive.  Hopefully this sticks.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:40:54 am »

well, now it's decided to use the backup of my backup copy of Photoshop.  Why in the world doesn't it default to the copy that's in the exact same application folder as it is?  Trying the plist thing now.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »

Wayne, would it work to rename photoshop exe in your backup drive? You could rename it back if you should need it. Just wondering.

Sharon
I'm on a mac.  yes I can do things to force LR to use the correct copy of Photoshop.  I can unmount the drives, delete the other copy of PS, probably zip them as Jeff suggested.  However, my system is set up so my boot drive contains OS and applications and is a high speed PCI based SSD drive.  I use carbon copy cloner as my main backup program, and every night this entire volume is cloned to an internal raid (raid 0).  This raid is actually cloned once a week to an external raid 5.  These are automatic, run quickly because only changes are updated and not much changes on those volumes.

Nothing I do can gets LR to use the correct copy of Photoshop as it's default.  I can unmount the volume, delete the preference file, relaunch Lightroom and it works.  however, if I quit Lightroom, remount the backup volume (which happens automatically each night) it will go back to the wrong copy.

I'm pretty baffled.  I may have to uninstall all Adobe apps, run the backups so they are uninstalled, reinstall the apps, launch LR while the only copy that exists of Photoshop is the correct one, then see what happens after Photoshop and LR are backed up to the other two drives.

Very odd, it just seems logical that it would always look in the same directory for Photoshop, not on some other drive in some other folder somewhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up