Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focus on Imaging - 2013 was the last  (Read 1568 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Focus on Imaging - 2013 was the last
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:10:38 am »

Just saw an announcement that Focus on Imaging is no more - see here. Sad, it was such a good excuse to go to Birmingham.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Focus on Imaging - 2013 was the last
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:03:43 pm »

"Do you remember where you were when you heard Focus on Imaging was no more?"

Well perhaps not that important, but I've been going almost every year since 1997 so it seems a sad loss.  I did miss one year because we were on our honeymoon, but it has always been an important few days in my diary.

Jim

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »

Yes, a bit of a shame.
It was nice to see everything under one roof, although the crowds made it all a bit mad. It's the only place I've held a camera that was physically at blood heat because it had been in people's hands all day (Fuji X100).
I also got my LRPS there.

But overall if you've been once you've seen it. Most years were pretty much identical.

Rhossydd

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:05 pm »

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/539745/axed-focus-on-imaging-europe-s-largest-annual-photo-show-reaction-update

"It is possible organisers became frustrated with last-minute bookings by exhibitors, which had become a trend in recent times.
This may have taken its toll on organisers who were under pressure to fill the large exhibition space at the NEC"

8% decrease in attendance and didn't Canon pull out this year too ?

Sounds like the industry killed it off, rather than anything else.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:23:26 pm »

"Do you remember where you were when you heard Focus on Imaging was no more?"

Well perhaps not that important, but I've been going almost every year since 1997 so it seems a sad loss.  I did miss one year because we were on our honeymoon, but it has always been an important few days in my diary.Jim

I'm not surprised, Jim, and I'm sure your bride felt the same.

;-)

Rob C

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 02:08:31 am »

8% decrease in attendance and didn't Canon pull out this year too ?

Sounds like the industry killed it off, rather than anything else.

Not quite. Canon were there this year, but withdrew at the last minute last year because of the Canon-using chimp depicted on the posters.

Rhossydd

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 02:13:54 am »

When the big players become unreliable and everyone else won't confirm bookings, it's no surprise the organisers think it's become too big a financial risk.

Not sure who really looses.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 03:02:33 am »

I'm sure that is a good part of it. There has been talk of Canon particularly wanting to do their own show, and others like Adobe have - how should I put this? - watered down their presence in the last year or two. Having one foot on the inside, I didn't see signs that it was on its last legs.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 04:28:32 am »

Perhaps it's yet another sign that photography is not the vibrant beast that it used to be,

From the pro's point of view, maybe it takes too much time to travel there (or to any exhibition), time better spent chasing clients. Anyway, I'd imagine that the reps would already be doing all that they can to reach those pros still in the buying market and inform them about everything that they can sell to them...

For amateurs, if you want to combine it with a holiday, maybe you go to Germany now and then instead.

Looking at what I could discern about the demise of my island wholesaler, the head office in Barcelona closed them down because the huge fall in film and paper stocks, as well as of colour processing chemicals, made their presence pointless.

As for the Internet... it kills off pretty much everything once associated with bricks and mortar. Count your local cameras shops today.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up