Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ouray, CO  (Read 3692 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Ouray, CO
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:46:38 pm »

I'm planning a trip to Colorado in July. Does anyone here have any comments or suggestions about this area. It has been suggested as a good location that is not as heavily visited as some more well known places. This trip will be with my daughter's family and about 7 grandchildren so photography is not the sole object but an important one. Thanks for any help.

slothead

Re: Ouray, CO
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:52:59 am »

Hello rgs,
I had to Google Ouray to see exactly where it is because I had never heard of it before so my input may be limited.  But there are lots of great views in Colorado, especially in the mountains (IMHO) and it looks like you will be right in the middle of it.  Of course having a young family in tow does not always bode well for finding great landscapes in the wee hours (my idea of the best time for interesting images).  What we may like in landscapes may be very boring to non photographers.

I have photographed in Durango, Pagosa Springs, Telluride, RMNP, Steamboat Springs and around Denver with lots of success in lots of ultrawide, macro, HDR and IR compositions.  So much to photograph - so little time!

Good luck,
Tom
Nikon D800, D750, N1 J5, Sony A7R, a6000, a5100, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:15:49 am »

If you go there is no sunrise and no sunset, so to speak. Ouray is boxed in on east and west by mountains. Almost as if the town is a canyon. I haven't been in over twenty years but I would imagine it hasn't changed much. Quite picturesque, however and worth a look. Good over-view shots from the south as you approach the town from that direction.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:18:00 am by JohnBrew »

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Re: Ouray, CO--and 'True Grit'
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:27:16 pm »

Ouray calls itself the Four-wheel-drive Capital of the World.  I've HQ'd there several times for fall-color trips, but if I weren't 4-wheeling or chasing fallcolors, I have no idea what I'd do there, but I'm no hiker or sightseer either.  Ridgeway, maybe an hour north on US550, has turned itself into a small John Wayne memorabilia center for his and its role in 'True Grit', filmed there, in Ouray, and parts surrounding.  The 'Ross-family ranch' is on Last Dollar Road SW of Ridgeway.  A friend and I stumbled into it on a FC trip years ago and spent hours fotografing it, not knowing what it was.  A couple years ago I was watching TG and recognized it after reading about where TG was filmed.  That property is fenced and closed now; if you're really curious about seeing it, I'll find it on Google Earth and post its coordinates.

Here are a few quickies from Dallas Divide and CO62...

...and along Last Dollar Rd.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:50:12 pm by jeffreybehr »

mhecker*

• Contributor
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:33 pm »

Yankee Boy Basin has great wildflowers in July, but you'll need a 4WD to get there.
You can rent a Jeep in Ouray for the day.

Fall color can be super in the Ouray area.

To find out more see http://wyofoto.com/Photo_maps/Colorado_Color/Colorado_Color_Photoguide_PDF.html
The cover photo is taken 3 miles outside Ouray.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 10:30:38 am »

It is far more than simply a good location. I have a page that covers the region here. If you're going to be traveling with family the whole time, then just sticking to the highways will be sufficient enough for sightseeing and shooting, in the event the children get bored easily. I would also highly suggest making time for a quick, 35-mile trip north to the Black Canyon for a couple hours, also detailed on my site. It would blow your mind.

Darren's comments and advice echo my own.  Ouray and the surrounding area is some of the finest mountain landscapes I've seen anywhere, ever.  Yankee Boy Basin, Governor Basin, Imogene Pass, Black Canyon, Owl Creek Pass...the list is long.  You'll be there during the wildflower bloom and you should do whatever you can to get into a couple of the basins to photograph them.  You'll need a 4WD for best access.  There's no shortage of Jeep rental companies in the area.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:50:06 pm »

No place in the Rockies better than Durango/Silverton/Ouray and vicinity for fall colors. Ridgeway is a pretty cool little town...Dennis Weaver was from there also.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 11:28:13 am »

You'll be a hop away from Silverton and that's got a nice downtown and the Durango & Silverton Railroad to ride and photograph. The road over is the Million Dollar Highway. It would cost a billion today if they would even let them construct it and the scenery is spectacular. There's also a waterfall in town, but it's difficult to shoot. You can also drive up to the Camp Bird Mine.

North of town is Ridgeway and its rail museum.

If you have a 4WD and know how to safely drive it, you could take a day trip over one of the many high passes for spectacular mountain views. Beware, though, south of town, you'll be in 10-11,000 foot passes and if you have breathing difficulties, take precautions.

In any case, take your grandkids out and share the adventure in the peaks and high country all around Ouray!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up