Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselfake Fotografy  (Read 58265 times)

Rob C

Re: Hasselfake Fotografy
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 09:14:36 am »

Thank you, people.

And thanks to my f8 AIS Nikkorblad Dynaflow Low-Pass Architectural objective too. I'd like to thank my mother, my children, the aunt who used to buy Vogue and Harper's Bizarre in the 50s and let me see them (the magazines, stupid!) etc. etc. but hell, they won't be listening to me anyway, so I won't bother.

I made my own lunch today: it consisted of some pasta with fried marrow and a fried egg, all together in the same bowl. I broke the cardio's rule and had a glass of Viña Sol instead of the obligatory red. I don't dig weekends much.

I think I shall just sulk until Monday when the world starts over again.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 12:56:49 pm »

Hell, Rob, don't sulk, I think you've found your new genre.

Stunning image.

Thanks, Keith, but you know I have difficulty with such natural subjects. Something pops up at me once in a blue moon and then nothing happens for years. Literally. Even the field where I shot the trees many moons ago is now fenced off.

I think that it's partly to do with access to places. I see the odd pic somewhere, but invariably, I can't stop the car. Scotland was just the same: unless you were prepared to hike or climb (heaven forfend!) a hundred miles away from home, there didn't seem much around. I sometimes have lunch with a guy who used to keep a boat in the South of France, and we were chatting about the Canal du Midi which he has been on; he was saying that one year he'd tried to follow the route by car, and it was hopeless - nothing worth seeing was accessible. So much for an idea that had been kicking around in my head since Ann died.

Did you see Rick Stein's series on the trip from Atlantic to Mediterranean by luxo-barge? I found it very romantic and it made me look at canal holiday packages. Boy, do those companies know how to charge - could teach us snappers a thing or three!

Thanks again for the kind words.

Rob C

P.S. This was film, but the scan's so old I can't remember which kind.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:00:25 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 09:44:47 am »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:33:03 pm by Rob C »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 05:41:24 pm »

Rob,

Thanks so much for the Mills brothers Post. It was a song my Dad would sing to me when i was a child.
As i grew older he and I would belt out our own duet. We weren't  bad the way I remember it. I had all but forgotten that memory.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:56:20 pm by petermfiore »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 04:43:13 am »

Can we play also?  ;)

OK, it is not 100% square, but let's just assume I did crop the top a bit.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 05:29:14 am »

Makes me think in French, Bernard, not that my French allows me much of that in intelligible form, unfortunately.

I have this recurring idea about French canals: originally it was the romantic one of drifting down a drain (?) and getting pumped back up again, but now, the thing is more to do with mist, emptiness and the merest suggestion of trees along a bank. Of course, a dream it shall remain, because come winterly weather and my inclination to drive vanishes as rapidly as a woodie in a clinic.

Ah, the human condition.

Rob C

P.S. Can you keep your 'fakes a tad smaller? What happens to me is that over a certain size, larger shots go out of sight at either top or bottom on my monitor (LaCie 319) and ruin the effect. Big isn't always best, despite what some say. I notice that in my own, I sometimes lose part of the frame, so a little hypocricy is at play here. But I blame that squarely on Russ, who would prompt me to make pics bigger...

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 12:12:46 pm »

Looking for the positive, one could say there ¡s a certain something in things that are falling apart. Or it may just be a lack of fish.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:33:25 pm by Rob C »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 03:01:22 pm »

Rob, Bernard, some very nice images. Colors are beautiful, abstract, old, dreamy, whatever. Bernard, your use of the in focus foreground reminds me that context can still be established even with the mid and background slightly out. Settings please, I want to try and emulate. Inspiration, both.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:02:59 pm by David Eckels »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 03:09:54 pm »

Falling a part or falling together.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »

Looking for the positive, one could say there ¡s a certain something in things that are falling apart. Or it may just be a lack of fish.

Rob C

Rob,
Great job with strong light and color.!
Blue and orange my favorite, only works when they lean toward neutral. Otherwise will be overly garish.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 04:20:09 pm »

Rob,
Great job with strong light and color.!
Blue and orange my favorite, only works when they lean toward neutral. Otherwise will be overly garish.

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

Actually, I found myself getting drawn towards this sort of material after I became aware of Keith Laban's work - the beauty in decay?

It was shot early on with the D200 version of my Hasselblad and probably a manual 2.8/24 AIS Nikkorblad.

When I first got into fashion photography I developed a love for the 35mm over the 50mm lenses. In fact, my original Nikkor 2/50 ended up almost unused, a shame because it was a great optic. I had a PC 35mm Nikkor too, and the funny thing is that I am now back in love with 35mm lenses, and bought a used 2/35mm a month or two ago and love it, especially wide open, though it does vignette somewhat at f2, which hardly bothers me at all most of the time; I see it as just another characteristic and enjoy it for what it is.

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »

I had a PC 35mm Nikkor too, and the funny thing is that I am now back in love with 35mm lenses, and bought a used 2/35mm a month or two ago and love it, especially wide open, though it does vignette somewhat at f2, which hardly bothers me at all most of the time; I see it as just another characteristic and enjoy it for what it is.

Rob C

I have always embraced the short comings of my equipment and used them for that very reason. As a painter I have also learned all about my limitations and to use what my strengths are to the max.
It's like anyone, with means or not, can buy a great expensive meal but try to do that on the cheap. That's talent.

Peter

WalterEG

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 05:37:19 pm »

though it does vignette somewhat at f2, which hardly bothers me at all most of the time; I see it as just another characteristic and enjoy it for what it is.
Rob C

Aaah yes!  I revere the aberration.  Digital, and the current aspiration of hardware, strive and succeeds in generating the soporifically boring.

Harald L

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 02:31:40 am »

Wiesbaden has a lot of well cultivated Wilhelminian style villas and an old cemetery where you can dive into a time 100 years ago.

Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 04:37:19 am »

The tone suits the subject very well; I like that, even the tilt adds to the time-capsule effect for some reason, though in the reality of photographs of the time, I suspect there would be no photographic tilt at all!

Pictures bend the mind.

Rob C

P.S. Victor has a lot for which to be thanked!

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 04:44:15 am »

P.S. Victor has a lot for which to be thanked!

Viktor still alive and kicking? (figuratively speaking?)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Harald L

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 06:54:15 am »

... though in the reality of photographs of the time, I suspect there would be no photographic tilt at all!

Agree. There's no need to master sophisticated T/S-technique anymore because your electronic wizard (Or shall I say electronic scourge?) performs all the magic which old guys used to do at location and in the darkroom. Tempi passati!

Harald

PS: Once again I started to lie to myself that I will buy me an Ebony as soon as I get retired. After all, tomorrow is another day!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:57:38 am by Harlem22 »
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 10:42:36 am »

Viktor still alive and kicking? (figuratively speaking?)

Not unless in a parallel universe, which I hope exists, for all sorts of personal reasons.

But, the point is, he had a lot to be thanked for when alive, but there is still a lot for which to thank him, dead or in parallel like a circuit.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 06:55:30 pm »

One specially for Russ.

As happens at times with black/white, film would have handled it much more nicely.

Rob C

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:31:22 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 07:34:40 am »

Woke up late, found that dratted pepper again, and now lunch is late.

Oh well, at least the pepper didn't ask me to sign a release.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:31:42 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up