Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kevin's bag  (Read 3022 times)

OldRoy

• http://
Kevin's bag
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:38:36 am »

Now maybe I misunderstand but in the last paragraph of this piece I read:

"So, in the end I take what you see below as my carry on."

This is followed by a snap of three substantial bags. Now I don't travel by air so much these days but when I do I notice that most airlines I use (and I'm a low-budget traveller on low-budget carriers, usually) are getting more and more rigorous about enforcing the size/weight restrictions on carry-on cabin baggage. I know this specification varies somewhat from carrier to carrier but I find it hard to believe that the enormous stack depicted would be considered acceptable for cabin baggage. Unless one's in the habit of hiring executive jets of course.

Roy

SunnyUK

Re: Kevin's bag
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:44:43 am »

My thoughts indeed! And he's definitely not travelling on European low-cost carriers like Ryan Air.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »

Hi,

Weight limits vary between airlines. Normal allowance is a carry on and a personal item.

Ryan Air has a 10 kg, single carry on limit. I handle this by carrying minimum equipment in a Gura Gear Kiboko bag, weighting just 2.2 kg.

The bag contains 2 DSLRs, Ultra Wide, 24-70/2.8, 16-80/3.5-4.5 (APS-C), 70-400 4/5.6 and a Arca Swiss D4 tropod head. MacBook goes into pockets of a Domke west. Oddball lenses go into a heavy duty case to be checked in.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:01:04 pm »

Hello,

I was told that British Airways don't have a limt on the weight. The only limit is that you have tobe able to put your luggage into the overhead-compartment without any help.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:06 am »

Hmm. Weight considerations aside, can anyone state with a degree of certainty that the articles depicted would definitely be considered as acceptable cabin baggage by any conventional carrier? I'm very sceptical.
Roy

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:46:58 am »

Much depends on how you travel. Business Class passengers flying with the non-budget carriers are normally treated with more leeway - i.e. less prone to be asked to weigh cabin baggage and generally no questions asked for carrying in 2 pieces that will fit the overheads. Economy is a different story and varies widely by airline. Frequent travelers carrying a lot of sensitive equipment need to select their airlines in a way that minimizes headaches at the check-in counter or aircraft entrance. Security can also be a royal pain and there's no way around that one.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

jeremyrh

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 12:11:02 pm »

Hmm. Weight considerations aside, can anyone state with a degree of certainty that the articles depicted would definitely be considered as acceptable cabin baggage by any conventional carrier? I'm very sceptical.
Roy
I just hope he doesn't sit anywhere near me!

stevesanacore

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 02:18:32 pm »

Funny that was my first reaction. I still use my Thinktank Airport Security roller. It's a bit worn out after years of heavy use on and off airlines. I still have it but lately thought it was just too big for a carry on anymore. Especially in Europe. I am leaving for a three country trip to Europe in a few weeks and was thinking that case was a No-Go.

We don't know what we don't know.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »

OK, I’m back from a fantastic adventure. I traveled to Sydney with the Think Tank roller and placed it in the overhead with my other bag and had no problems. Going to Broome I did check the bag and not because I didn’t think it could be brought on the plane but more for convenience. It traveled through as a check bag just fine. Remember I wrap all my gear for extra protection. I also wire tie the zippers. I don‘t think there would have been any issues especially when I saw some of the carry on times people were bringing onto the plane to Broome. Coming home I checked it from Broome to Sydney and then carried it on from Sydney to home with no issues. All gear was unpacked this morning and made it through the trip just fine. I do love the Think Tank cases.

On the trip we had a number of people using the F-Stop line of back pack bags and they looked and worked really well. I’ll be checking these out maybe for future trips.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 11:03:28 pm »

I'm a great fan of my F-Stop Tilopa. The bag is designed so that it's basically almost impossible to over pack such that it will fit fully loaded in even a domestic commuter jet overhead bin. That said, United's International Business Class 747 upstairs cabin has overhead storage that is too small for it which I think is shame on United as opposed to the F-Stop bag! I've had a few situations where the airline check-in crew have been very disappointed to find that it easily fits in to the carry on template stand (Lufthansa & Icelandair in particular). You can of course run in to problems with weight but that's normally solved by wearing your photo vest and going through the ridiculous remove items from bag and put in your vest pocket and re-pack after x-ray shenanigans.
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up