Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice To Lake  (Read 556 times)

cjogo

Ice To Lake
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:48:24 pm »

Tahoe 1978 -- Yellow filter ..PAN F

WalterEG

Re: Ice To Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:16:09 am »

Pan F is far too often ignored.  This scene really speaks to the strengths of Pan F.

W

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:30:41 am »

Film is funny stuff. Or cameras are funny stuff.

I used to use both Pan F and Panatomic X on 135 format just before I turned pro, mainly on people shots. I found myself making very thin negs with soup such as Unitol, and getting fairly good skin tones that way.

When I did go for the money, I discovered quickly the limitations of the two films: a bit too slow for the lights that I had. At the same time I realised that there was a breakdown between regular outdoor usage of ASA as a guide to film speed and the actual speed of the same set of films when exposed to flash... I couldn't explain it to myself then, and still can't. At best I see some form of reciprocity failure at flash duration times, though I'd fondly imagined that was a phenomenon related to long exposures, not short.

Anyway, I abandoned the two Pans and settled for FP3 and HP3 on 135 and then the later iterations of both

With 120 format, I didn't like those two at all, and eventually used TXP 120 for everything in that format other than, of course, colour.

The developer, once I turned pro, was always D76 1+1 in both film formats.

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:17:03 pm »

Pan X was pretty sharp  but after testing was about ASA 16 --- at least with Trix you get somewhere near 320= with the right developer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up