Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe - Creative Cloud Update  (Read 126899 times)

Vladimirovich

Re: Adobe - Creative Cloud Update
« Reply #360 on: June 26, 2013, 11:01:55 am »

the other two derive from the decision that professional customers would be much better served if all of the products in Adobe's line-up worked together as a suite, rather than as disassociated individual products.
that has nothing to do w/ subscription only model... you can have a suite and perpetual licence model in addition... no contradiction

Vladimirovich

« Reply #361 on: June 26, 2013, 11:06:21 am »

Adobe had been forced to shorten their release cycles from two years to eighteen months to keep their products relevant. Now their digital publishing and web tools needed immediate upgrades also. The obvious answer would have been to push out a feature upgrade, but legal reasons to do with revenue recognition (for which you can thank Enron and others) prohibit adding functionality to an already-shipping product.

no, they don't - LR is available under both license models and Adobe has no legal issues w/ that... M$ has no legal issues to bring new functionality in Windows (not only "bugs fixing") with their updates w/ perpetual license...

Alan Gilbertson

« Reply #362 on: June 26, 2013, 12:55:33 pm »

no, they don't - LR is available under both license models and Adobe has no legal issues w/ that... M$ has no legal issues to bring new functionality in Windows (not only "bugs fixing") with their updates w/ perpetual license...
No, Microsoft can't do that either. Nor can the publicly-traded antivirus companies (who've been on the subscription model for years). MS introduced a subscription model with Office 365, and you're going to see it becoming more and more common throughout the industry. It's a difficult situation and it applies across the software industry.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #363 on: June 26, 2013, 01:40:36 pm »

No, Microsoft can't do that either.

they can, windows, etc service packs bring new functionality in addition to just "bug fixing" and that is with perpetual license

for example (from M$ document)

"...Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 includes previously released updates and will deliver a number of powerful new features for Windows Server 2008 R2 for virtualization and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)..."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:47:16 pm by Vladimirovich »

Vladimirovich

« Reply #364 on: June 26, 2013, 01:51:59 pm »

MS introduced a subscription model with Office 365, and you're going to see it becoming more and more common throughout the industry.
it has nothing to do w/ accounting differences related to perpetual license model and subscription model

Alan Gilbertson

« Reply #365 on: June 26, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »

Yes, it does.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #366 on: June 26, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »

Yes, it does.
no, it doesn't... also - did you "swallow" what M$ itself said on record about "will deliver a number of powerful new features" (and that is service pack, not a new paid release of their OS') for a product with perpetual license  ;D... you can't be a little pregnant, or can you ? albeit pro adobe posters always are...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:58:42 pm by Vladimirovich »

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #367 on: April 07, 2014, 01:16:29 am »

Hi.  Wasn't sure which CC topic to revive, so figured this one would do. 

I'm strongly considering purchasing the current Photography Program CC special which includes PS and Lightroom for AUS$120 for the first year.  I'm having trouble finding the price that this would revert to after the year is up.  Can anyone point me to a link or just update here what the current standard rate is for PS and LR?  The other question I have is: Is it anticipated that CS6 and LR5 perpetual licences will continue indefinitely?  I don't have either of these, and would prefer to avoid buying them at present at the same time as getting a CC subscription.  But the thought of paying Adobe a rental fee for the rest of my life is a little bit off putting, and would like to retain the option in the future to step back to CS6 and LR5.

And I guess as a final question, how are those on the CC service finding it?

Cheers!

MikeChambers

« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2014, 03:03:38 am »

Hi.  Wasn't sure which CC topic to revive, so figured this one would do. 

I'm strongly considering purchasing the current Photography Program CC special which includes PS and Lightroom for AUS$120 for the first year.  I'm having trouble finding the price that this would revert to after the year is up. 

That is the regular price (i.e. its not a promotional price).

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #369 on: April 07, 2014, 03:21:20 am »

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  On the Adobe site it is saying that this is a special and only available until May 31st.  I found the regular price of just photoshop CC alone and it's $20 a month for a yearly subscription.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #370 on: April 07, 2014, 03:40:42 am »

I'm having trouble finding the price that this would revert to after the year is up.

Hi,

Nobody knows for sure.

Can anyone point me to a link or just update here what the current standard rate is for PS and LR?

There seem to be only 'limited time' introductory offers, but the end date seems to be extended time after time. 
Edit: I just saw Mike responding that it is the regular price, but the website (just checked) says it is a temporary price. So apparently they have not made up their mind.

The other question I have is: Is it anticipated that CS6 and LR5 perpetual licences will continue indefinitely?

In the Netherlands I've received two independent dealer notices that perpetual licenses for CS6 will end being available after May 30th, 2014. After that date, only subscriptions will be available. Lightroom so far seems to remain available with a perpetual usage license.

Depending on your needs, you could purchase a final Photoshop CS6 (upgrade) license, and wait for new developments in the LR licensing, unless you need specific LR5 functionality right now. You can use an up to date LR version for access to new features you really need, and finish work in Photoshop CS6 as long as it is supported by your hardware.

That's what I did, because I already had a perpetual Photoshop CS6 license, I only purchased a separate perpetual license LR5 upgrade for a discounted price. My running cost for both CS6 and LR sofar are a fraction of the current discounted annual subscription fee, and I assume there will be some sort of introductory discount should I feel the need to upgrade to a subscription in the future (maybe only a subscription for a month for temporary access).

Personally, I dislike subscriptions for software, because that locks one in in a perpetual payment scheme, without future exit strategy that allows access to all of my Work-in-Progress Intellectual Property. Also, the possibilities of getting locked out of my tools from a distance (either by a subscription verification error, temporary lack of connection, or a deliberate attack) is far from appealing.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Simon Garrett

« Reply #371 on: April 07, 2014, 07:28:25 am »

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  On the Adobe site it is saying that this is a special and only available until May 31st.  I found the regular price of just photoshop CC alone and it's $20 a month for a yearly subscription.

They're saying it's not a promotional price, but they're not saying it won't go up!

I think this is Adobe speak for something like this:
  • It's a regular price, so the won't to up by 50-100% for existing subscribers when the offer period ends, but...
  • ...it's not a fixed price, so like all our prices it may go up with inflation or whatever

So if other CC prices go up by 5% (for example), the LR/Photoshop price might as well.  Of course, they could put them all up by 100% next year!

That's my interpretation, and I reserve the right to be wholly wrong.  

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #372 on: April 08, 2014, 12:26:05 am »

That's your speculation you mean...

MikeChambers

« Reply #373 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:32 am »

They're saying it's not a promotional price, but they're not saying it won't go up!

I think this is Adobe speak for something like this:
  • It's a regular price, so the won't to up by 50-100% for existing subscribers when the offer period ends, but...
  • ...it's not a fixed price, so like all our prices it may go up with inflation or whatever

So if other CC prices go up by 5% (for example), the LR/Photoshop price might as well.  Of course, they could put them all up by 100% next year!

That is correct.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #374 on: April 08, 2014, 01:52:15 am »

It seems a reasonable interpretation of what Mike said, given that what he said doesn't gel with what the Adobe website is saying.  It would be handy if Mike could clarify this.

edit:  Ninja'd by Mike!  Cheers for the clarification.  :)

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #375 on: April 09, 2014, 07:27:28 pm »

One positive thing about the CC deal is that it has spurred me out of my complacency to look at the alternatives.  I tried Capture One and I actually like its conversions better than ACR/Lightroom.  I like PhotoMechanic better than Lightroom for image culling and metadata.  Haven't found a long term replacement for photoshop CS6 yet, but hopefully something will appear in the next 3-5 years.  Then it will be goodbye Adobe unless they fix their subscription model.

I was listening to a CBC radio "Under the influence" podcast about how important "trust" is to long term corporate success.  According to the speaker, Terry O'Reilly, a longtime ad man, trust is the #1 driver for success.  Wonder how Adobe is doing on that.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

artobest

« Reply #376 on: April 11, 2014, 07:39:33 am »

Bernie, I am a subscriber who ummed and ahhed before committing, and I'm finding it great so far. Updates are regular, but not so frequent as to be intrusive, and the whole package just seems to work. At the current price it's definitely either cheaper or no more expensive than my usual upgrade cycle, but that may not be true for everyone.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2014, 09:45:23 am »

At the current price it's definitely either cheaper or no more expensive than my usual upgrade cycle, but that may not be true for everyone.

It's certainly not true for everyone. I have the full Creative Suite CS6 and upgrade every cycle, but the rental cost over a 6 year period would be about double what I would have paid.

richardm33

« Reply #378 on: April 20, 2014, 05:54:46 pm »

Consider

Photoshop CS3........................... 04/2007
Photoshop CS4........................... 1y 6m later
Photoshop CS5........................... 1y 6m after that
Photoshop CS6........................... 2y 1m later ( I skipped 5.1 to simplify)

At a street price of about $800 it would cost about $400 per year assuming a  'CS7' was released in 2 years. At $9.99 per month or $120 per year subscribing is far cheaper.  One would have to hold on to CS6 for about 6.7 years just to break even. And a that point you'd have a very out-dated image editor versus current state-of-the-art one.  I fully expect some sort of increase at some point.  Everything goes up eventually. 

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #379 on: April 20, 2014, 06:13:00 pm »

Consider

Photoshop CS3........................... 04/2007
Photoshop CS4........................... 1y 6m later
Photoshop CS5........................... 1y 6m after that
Photoshop CS6........................... 2y 1m later ( I skipped 5.1 to simplify)

At a street price of about $800 it would cost about $400 per year assuming a  'CS7' was released in 2 years. At $9.99 per month or $120 per year subscribing is far cheaper.  One would have to hold on to CS6 for about 6.7 years just to break even. And a that point you'd have a very out-dated image editor versus current state-of-the-art one.  I fully expect some sort of increase at some point.  Everything goes up eventually. 

I don't think your math is correct.  Assuming your dates are correct and $200 per upgrade, that is $600 in 5 years, or $10/month - the same as the CC rate.  HOWEVER, most users do not upgrade every cycle and CC has no exit strategy.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27   Go Up