Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on switching to the Fuji X System  (Read 57523 times)

owinthomas

Re: Opinions on switching to the Fuji X System
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 12:01:58 am »

When do we Brits (living in rip-off Britain, which might be a clue) get the discount?

This has just finished early May http://www.fujicashback.co.uk/

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 04:28:41 am »

Not exactly 30-50% off though, was it? Still, a saving's a saving. I've got to pay for moving house first, then I'm allowed to buy an XE1, so hopefully there'll be a new promotion by then

owinthomas

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 05:01:48 am »

Agreed.

It was what pushed me off the fence to purchase the X-Pro1 with the 35mm & 60mm. Effectively gave me 75% off one of the lenses.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 04:06:49 am »

If I may offer a different perspective... I am always keeping a keen eye on the Fujifilm X system, and its advances. The cameras and lenses are very good, and suitable for many of us. So I toy with the idea of dipping my toes, eventually, sometime... However, DSLRs are not that big anymore, and if you take, say, a EOS 100D plus a 24mm or 28mm prime (the recent ones, with IS and excellent optics), you end up with a really small package too...

SZRitter

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 10:06:00 am »

If I may offer a different perspective... I am always keeping a keen eye on the Fujifilm X system, and its advances. The cameras and lenses are very good, and suitable for many of us. So I toy with the idea of dipping my toes, eventually, sometime... However, DSLRs are not that big anymore, and if you take, say, a EOS 100D plus a 24mm or 28mm prime (the recent ones, with IS and excellent optics), you end up with a really small package too...

I've never like Canon, but that is a personal preference, they make fine gear.

I also did not like the handling of Nikon's D5100, and I doubt any of their smaller ones are any better. I like how the X10 handles. I love old film cameras and how they handle. I seem to work better when I use cameras like these.

I also work really well using the rear-LCD on a camera. Much better than working trough a viewfinder. Seems that all of my preferred cameras I don't use a viewfinder (6x6 TLR, X10). Mirrorless just seems that much better suited to the way I want to work.

SZRitter

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 11:21:05 am »

So Paulo has me thinking, and I may be better off analyzing what I need for my gear. In the last 1.5 years, what I do with it has changed drastically, and I hope to keep it evolving.

Here is the background: I work at a resort, but my role here has gone from photo/video/web development to basically all web with the occasional video edit. My personal work is shifting also, and I really hope to make it shift even further. It is a lot of travel/walk-around stuff, and I will be adding in tabletop and portraits to that. Sports seems to be all but gone at this point.

With the current setup, I use my X10 and Yashica the most. With the X10 it is probably a 50/50 split on using the tunnel finder and the rear LCD for composition. I love shooting with the WLF on the Yashica, bright and beautiful. Plus I love the perspective it gives me as I shoot.

For a period I had an E-PM1 with the 14-42 and 45mm. The 14-42 was ok, but shooting with the 45mm was simply brilliant. However, I felt the E-PM1 body was lacking a "feel" to it. The images, in the right conditions were good (not great), and the controls just seemed a bit lacking. The feel and controls of the X10 suit me much better.

The Yashicamat is just a blast to use. Yes, it has it's drawbacks, but the square composition and slowing down of the process is nice. Focusing can be tough to nail, but when I do, it just beings the images to life in a way I don't get in smaller formats. Ultimately, it will be paired with a 612 or 617 for all my MF work.

The Nikon, mostly has been doing copy work, shooting the slides/negatives from the Yashicamat. Outside of that, it is my go to camera for long exposures. Really, that seems to be about it. There was a random event shoot and quick portraits for work, but nothing I couldn't handle with an X-E1 or O-MD. As soon as I have my office setup, it will be working on tabletop shoots more often.

As for the lenses, I am not sure I have even touched the 70-300mm in the last year. The 17-70mm has been all I used.

So, for travel, I use many forms from cars, planes, trains and this year I'll be starting to backpack. When I get to cities, I pretty much travel by foot when possible. As such, the lighter the kit, the better.

What I need: Good prime lenses, lightweight/small, one good standard zoom, good RAW support, decent dynamic range to keep from blowing out skies, nice LCD, ability to easily use LCD or EVF/Finder of some sort, ease of use for long exposures, at least 3 exposure auto-bracket in 2EV steps

What I would like: 2:3 format images (not sure I like the m4/3 crop, although it isn't bad), ability to manually focus legacy lenses quickly, adaptable to multiple mounts (Nikon, Minolta MD, etc.), fast autofocus, in camera 1:1 crop, printable ISO 1600 at 12x18ish sizes, least amount of diffraction limitation at f16 or f22, stabilized primes

After looking at my list, almost seems going back to M43 might be the right choice. The Oly prime lineup seems like a perfect fit for me, plus that 5-axis stabilization.

SZRitter

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 11:15:52 pm »

I'm a real one man conversation over here...

But, something that people might find useful. I did calculations on a Gh3, EP5, EM-5, X-E1 and D7100 kit for price, weight, and volume (estimated).

There was a bit of unfairness in the GH3 vs EP5 vs EM5 as they use different zoom lenses (12-35mm Panny, 14-42mm Oly, and 12-50mm Oly). This alters price weight and volume by quite a bit. So just keep that in mind.

Kits are as follow:
GH3 w/ 12-35mm Panny, 12mm Oly, 17mm Oly, 45mm Oly, and 75mm Oly + battery and Grip
OM-D E-M5 w/ 12-50mm Oly, 12mm Oly, 17mm Oly, 45mm Oly, and 75mm Oly + battery and Grip
EP5 w/ 14-42mm Oly, 12mm Oly, 17mm Oly, 45mm Oly, and 75mm Oly + battery and VF4
X-E1 w/ 18-55mm, 35mm, 14mm, 60mm + battery and grip
D71000 w/ Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 20mm f1.8, Nikkor 35mm f1.8 DX, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Nikkor 85mm f1.8

SystemPrice (USD)Weight (in grams)Volume (in cubic inches)
GH354721526109.01
OM-D E-M54243153170.49
EP53894116057.93
X-E13478126773.325
D710038432715181.94

So, price is a wash, basically. If you added another reasonable priced lens to the X-E1, you would be right up there with all the rest. You could, switch to cheaper 20mm and 50mm in the Nikon and save a decent amount. You could also buy less expensive primes for the M43 gear. I tried to base it on what I would most likely buy in the long run. This did not account for buying used or on sale, once again, it's basically a wash.

Weight, well, this is rather interesting. The EP5 is the obvious winner, but the X-E1 is a close second. If you added another prime, it would still be tied with the GH3 and OM-D. The OM-D is the only one with the grip's weight, so to be fair you should subtract 220g from it's weight. The Nikon, well, it's over 3 times the size of that E-P5 kit. Even if you gave it a different zoom, the Nikon doesn't fair much better.

Volume seems to be very close. None of the grips were calculated in the volume as I wasn't sure how to figure them into there. The X-E1 did lose some advantage here do to the size of the lenses. But, that is to be expected given it's APS-C instead of M43.

With any luck, I'll be visiting a camera store tomorrow. The OM-D, X-E1 and E-PL5/E-P3 will all hopefully get looked at. The E-PL5 and E-P3 just to get an idea of the rangfinderesque bodies from Oly.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 07:04:52 am »

Not sure about the quoted price, with the current "sale" the XE-1 with all four lenses (zoom, 14, 35, 60), plus a battery and a grip is only around $2750 at B&H. That makes a significant difference in my mind. It's a $1000 savings over the "regular" prices with the instant lens rebates.

I know that the rebates are temporary, and other manufacturers offer them too, sometimes, though these are higher than I've seen from, say, Olympus.

I am so, so, so tempted.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

SZRitter

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 08:25:34 pm »

Went to the camera store, and tried both. Both had pluses and minuses.

OMD - better all around, much more versatile. The touch screen is nice, and having shot the format before, I know the lenses are just as good as any other. Overall, the system is excellent and has a huge range of options. Full weather sealing is a huge plus also.

X-E1 is a beautiful camera. It would be very good to walk around with, and isn't all that much bigger. I like the controls better, but hate the EVF. It was horrible. The OMD's was leagues better.

I do think, as a system that the Oly is a better choice for me.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 09:32:37 am »

First of all it depends how much disposable income you have.  The problem is the technology is changing so fast.  Within a couple of years you may want to jump ship yet again.  I wouldn't be surprised if next year Nikon comes out with a mirrorless body you just can't resist.  I also felt compelled to try the new technology and went with a Olympus epl5 for 550.00.  I wanted a step up from my point and shoot. I'm blown away with the capability of this little camera.  Although it's design isn't perfect, it is certainly on par with my old D300.  I'm amazed with what it can do with my Nikon 50 mm lens.  Perfect for now.  Buying a camera these days is like keeping up with computers by in the early nineties.  You'll want to upgrade in no time.

SZRitter

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 10:27:17 am »

It isn't the tech that is making we want to switch, it's my changing style of shooting. If the Nikon didn't sit unused 99% of the time, I wouldn't even be talking about this. But in the end, I want something much more compact, and the m43 gear hits that. Down the road I'll be adding another MF camera or two (film based), so for ultimate image quality, I'll be using those. Even then, the m43 is capable of beautiful prints at the sizes I make. And the super small primes are really what are luring me into this. I had the 45mm Olympus, and I miss that lens a lot. The 75mm and 12mm are supposed to be as good or better. Add in the new 17mm and I'm very happy.

GDRoth

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 01:12:46 pm »

I have a Fuji X100S and had a Pentax K-5 IIS. The more I learned and used the X100S, the less I used the Pentax. Last week I sold all my Pentax gear and bought a Fuji X-E1 with the great 18-55 lens. These Fuji's are spectacular cameras and I plan to use both for many years.
Fuji X100S w/23mm f/2, Fuji XE-2 with 18-55mm, 10-24mm, Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CS5

My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53901919@N03/

Telecaster

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »

I've been keeping my eye on the X system mainly because I'd really like a proper digi-body for my rangefinder lenses. I can use the lenses just fine via adapters on my Olympus OM-D5, even the Contax and Nikon RF-mount stuff, but the M43 sensor turns my ultra-wides into barely-wides.   :o  Tried out the Leica M240 and was left with a meh impression operation-wise. (Image quality was fine & dandy.) The cost is rather absurd too in this era of bodies-as-commodities.

The Fujis appeal to me since the APS-C format is big enough and the camera controls harken back to the simplicity of the RF classics. The thing holding me back for now is fast(er) focusing. Once Fuji implements the X100s' four-way-split-image manual focusing on an interchangeable lens body, I'll give the system a proper tryout.

-Dave-

SZRitter

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 12:39:26 pm »

I keep flip flopping....

X-E1 with the 18mm and 35mm vs OM-D with 12-50mm and a prime (45mm, 17mm, something else...).

I have a 55mm f3.5 pre-AI nikkor that I will be adapting.

The budget is hovering right around the $1500 mark. That is about $1350 in trade-in then the rest is me kicking it in. I can't figure out if the dealer has the same deals from Fuji right now or not.

The X-E1 felt better and has better IQ, but the laggy EVF was messing with my head (didn't try it outside, maybe just a low light issue?) Plus, the labeled, straight forward buttons and aperture rings are a huge plus. The system feels like it has room to grow in a very promising way. I expect to buy a second body in two years and a lens when I can afford them (maybe one a year, more if I find legacy glass to work well). Also, this has one stop more (f11ish vs f8ish) before diffraction limitations kick in. I like long exposures, so this can be a big thing (that, or I just need more filters...).

The Olympus body didn't feel as good, but the lenses are smaller, and the system much more mature. If I shot video, there is a good avenue for it. But, I have shot very little video within the last year, and doubt that will change. The IBS and touch screen focusing are both huge pluses.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 04:06:34 pm »

If you are in the US then you could always rent the Fuji from Lensrentals.com and try it out for a few days or a week.... and see if it fits. I rented the X-Pro1 right after it came out and bought it right after, and I still love it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

AFairley

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »

The Olympus body didn't feel as good, but the lenses are smaller, and the system much more mature.

I am a big fan of the E-M5, but am disappointed in the quality of available lenses at the wide end (though by all accounts, the short teles are simply cracking good).  I'm real attracted to the Fuji, but am waiting to see if an X-Pro2 is in the works.  I'm going to rent the X100s to see what that would be like as a stopgap.

simonr

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 07:54:11 am »

I never switched... I merely added the XE-1 to my kit   8)

[and love it!]

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 10:29:38 am »

... I wouldn't be surprised if next year Nikon comes out with a mirrorless body you just can't resist ...

With a nice retro design, like the old Nikon S3 or SP, which even had one of those scroll wheels that are so ubiquitous today, albeit used then for focusing

With an EVF & FX sensor, it could be pretty good

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 09:53:01 pm »

I could not resist, I was about to get the Fuji EX-E-1 with the zoom anyway when the discounts arrived. I got it, saved a bunch (by buying several lenses because the price was too good to pass up) and love it. I also have had an OM-D for almost a year and really liked it but am impressed with the IQ and high ISO performance of the Fuji. I believe I could see some noise even at base ISO 200 with the Oly. ISO 1600 with the Fuji is amazing! The good news is that these two cameras are pretty close overall. The Oly operates faster and a bit more sophisticated in its menu system but for pure photography, for me, the Fuji wins. I am not giving up my Nikon D800E though I have a friend who sold his and uses just the Fuji. He likes to use only one system at a time, less confusion with menus and controls. These are very individual decisions based on everything from one's basic photographic style, eg landscape vs street work, and weight considerations, to financial ones, how many systems can one afford to keep at one time, to the basic complexity of learning and using multiple systems when the time might be better spent out photographing. I'm happy; we have incredible choices. There's no excuse not to be making wonderful photographs.

SZRitter

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 09:58:30 am »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I ended up with the OM-D with the ultimate plan of buying a used X100s next year. When it got down to it, M43 seems like the better system for me overall, and as tech advances, the gap between the systems in IQ will probably diminish even further.

Now I just need better lenses... The 12-50mm is ok for what it is, but I shot my 55mm 3.5 pre-AI Nikkor on there last night, and it by far outshines the OM-D.

I'm also very happy using the "focus peaking" hack with manual lenses, Worked really well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up