Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on switching to the Fuji X System  (Read 57530 times)

SZRitter

Opinions on switching to the Fuji X System
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:26:37 am »

So, I am contemplating switching out of Nikon to Fuji.

I am no longer shooting sports with my personal gear, so the AF tracking is not all that important to me. Mostly it will be used in environmental and studio portraits, still life, vacation, landscapes and the likes. Also, maybe a little talking head video (24fps is just fine).

I'm just not happy with the D7000. Carrying it is huge, and to be honest, it's not very fun to shoot. I love shooting my X10 and Yashicamat, so I thought the X-E1 + a couple of lenses would more than likely suit me.

So, does it sound about right? I should note, I love cameras that feel like cameras, and seem to be a little more free/creative with the smaller cameras.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
Re: Opinions on switching to the Fuji X System
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:04:59 pm »

I have used a Fuji X-E1 system for portraits, some fashion/professional work as well as a bit of travel photography. It pretty much replaced my Nikon system (for the moment at least). If you do not need fast AF, tethering or certain lenses unavailable for the Fuji, the X-E1 is almost perfect. It is small, does not get in the way, and seems to generate less of a barrier between the subject and the photographer than a large camera, which is particulary nice for environmental portraits.

In terms of lenses, the 35mm Fuji lens draws very nicely (I know this is subjective), there is a plethora of old lenses to get a particular look, and manual focus works fine as long as the subject doesn't move despite the lack of focus peaking. Personally, I like the Voigtlander 75mm 1.8 for portraits, with a tripod for shallow depth of field images.

I cannot really comment on landscape photography or video, but I have a feeling there might be better options for that.

I hope this helps,
Martin

Update (8/13): The Fuji is great for portraits and stationary subjects. Unfortunately, the AF is not fast enough, even after the latest firmware update, for anything that moves. I am pretty much back to my Nikon setup for most of my current work.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:24:08 pm by Martin Ranger »
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

BJL

on switching to the Fuji X System: Thom Hogan's lens reviews
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:14:44 pm »

Thom Hogan has just reviewed every current lens for the X system over at http://www.sansmirror.com which might help your decision. The forthcoming 55-200 is not there though.

SZRitter

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:51:34 am »

For video, in the long run, there are much better options. So far, I usually use work's gear for most of the video I shoot, so it really would just be some talking head and vacation stuff I do for myself. So yeah, the 1080p24 with manual control on there wouldn't phase me. The only thing it is worse at is rolling shutter, but, if I am not doing whip pans with it, shouldn't be too much of an issue. If I ever start making money with the video I shoot personally, I would invest in a better video rig (Probably a Black Magic 4k).

I think the best would be to call my "local" (read that as 1.5 hours to get there) camera shop and see if they have one in stock.

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:00:28 pm »

If you are in the states, you can rent from lensrentals.com, I believe.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 01:51:54 pm »

Sounds like a great choice. The AF on the Fuji is crap for street work. (AF on 14 is doable.) Plus it has a lot of getting used to with all the buttons. I prefer the old manual style controls, that is what led me to Fuji. (got 3 of them)

I wish Fuji made a Leica knockoff 24mp FF for $3500. (That would use Leica glass.) that is my dream cam. (Plus a mono 'Fleica' for $4000)

feethea

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:40:58 pm »

I have not looked back at all since selling my Nikon kit (D800, D7000, seven 'pro' lenses and flashguns) to end up with a lightweight Fuji kit - Fuji X-Pro 1, Fuji XE-1, 14mm, 18mm, 35mm, 60mm, 18-55mm zoom and (from yesterday) the 55-200mm zoom (plus two dedicated flashguns).

Sure, at the start there were issues with the AF, but that problem has been well and truly addressed with the latest firmware updates. The IQ is stunning. The OIS is stellar - particularly in the latest 55-200mm zoom.

In effect I have two systems - The X-Pro1 for 'serious' work and the XE-1 as a travel camera. Lightweight, full control.

I totally disagree with iluvmycam re the usability of the Fuji X system for street work - if that is your speciality then I would strongly suggest taking a look at the equally superb recently released X100s. An updated version of a previously owned X100 - a very discrete, silent camera with the same sensor as in the X-Pro1 and the XE-1. It will blow your socks off! I'm next on the list for one at my local dealer (early next week)!

Take the plunge - you will not be disappointed and your poor back will thank you.

Barry

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 01:06:27 am »

I have been very happy with X-Pro 1, I started out with the 3 primes, and after getting my wife an X-e1 and the 18-55mm, I liked the zoom so much I bought one also for the my X-Pro 1. I have the 55-200mm on order and I am looking seriously at the Zeiss 12mm. The IQ is fantastic, it is a great camera, it cannot do everything, but since I bought mine I have hardly touched my Canon gear. I will keep the dslr for certain things, like wildlife photography and some other work were I need the speed. I have not looked back and it has been a fun camera to use and really brought back a spark to photography. I prefer the X-Pro 1 to the X-E1 for me, the slightly larger camera feels better in my hands and balances well, my wife enjoys hers. It is also so much nicer to carry such a small light camera, people ignore you when you are using it, you blend in to the background a lot better.

Go for it. If the lenses are in the range you want, and you are using for what you stated, there is no reason not to do it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Ludwig Nobel

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 01:19:11 am »

I'm just not happy with the D7000. Carrying it is huge, and to be honest, it's not very fun to shoot.

This alone should be reason enough to get a different camera. No fun sounds like the worst thing that can happen to me.
I have a 5D2 with several L lenses, and I like it a lot. But it is heavy, loud and draws attention.
Bought a X-E1 some months ago. I have the 35mm, 14mm and the 18-55mm zoom. Since I have this camera, I have taken more pictures than ever just because it's so convenient to take it everywhere with me.
The Fuji lenses are very good, the 18-55mm is one of the sharpest standard zoom lenses I have ever used, the 14mm is a phantastic landscape lens.
To me, it sounds like you are the perfect candidat for a Fuji, so go for it, you will not regret it.

Ludwig

SZRitter

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:31:40 am »

How hard is it to manually focus? I have legacy Nikkor and Minolta MD glass I would like to use.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 10:07:44 am »

How hard is it to manually focus? I have legacy Nikkor and Minolta MD glass I would like to use.

It depends. With some subjects it is possible to focus by just looking through the EVF at no magnification. For most subjects, I use three-times magnification. The ten-times magnification is overkill in my opinion, and camera shake becomes a problem. You can pre-select the area of the image you want magnified. Although the camera has no focus peaking, the areas in focus have a high contrast shimmer that makes focusing quite easy.

For static objects and DOFs that are large relative to my camera movements (shaking and wobbling), I get virtually 100% images in focus.

If the DOF is narrow relative to your camera movement (shake) or the movement of the subject, things get a bit tricky. Getting out of the EVF modification mode and readjusting the composition might move the camera enough that the desired area is no longer in focus. Similarly if your subject moves a bit in that time, you are out of luck. So, for things like portraits with narrow DOF I would suggest a tripod to eliminate camera movement. Alternatively you could take the photo straight from the magnified EVF mode to avoid moving the camera, but then you cannot really check composition or facial expressions. It is definitely do-able, but you have to be a bit more deliberate and slow than with AF lenses, and the results are a bit more unpredictable.

If the subject is moving, I find it almost impossible to get satisfactory results with MF lenses (at larger apertures). The EVF without magnification is not really good enough to for me to keep moving subjects in focus (the OVFs of most digital cameras are neither). Other people might be more successful in this respect, though, as I haven't used MF in almost a decade. Zone focusing does work, of course.

Hope this helps,
Martin
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

BJL

manual focusing the Fuji X System: IS on during MF?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 10:56:27 am »

About manual focusing: does the Fujifilm X system have the option of activating IS during focusing on the screen?
If so, my experience with the Olympus E-M5 is that enlarging 7x or even 10x works wonderfully for manual focus with IS active, while without stabilization, 7x is still OK (and gives very precise MF) at wide to normal focal lengths and bit beyond, but gets "dizzying" as the field of view gets much narrower than normal.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:01:12 am by BJL »

Ludwig Nobel

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 04:11:10 pm »

On the X-E1, you can choose whether OIS is on all the time or just when shooting (pressing the shutter button).

Ludwig

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:48 am »

Same on the X-Pro 1... firmware is very similar in most respects.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 02:23:22 pm »

There are some big rebates and deals on the Fuji cameras now through June 29, yes I know it is a rumors site but it lists them all out by vendor, and if you go to B&H or Amazon they are indeed giving these rebates, depending on body and lenses ordered you can get up to $1300 off.

http://www.fujirumors.com/

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

SZRitter

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:53 pm »

Saw those. I need to put my D7000 + lenses up for sale, and hopefully complete that so I can move on this deal. Probably going X-E1 + 18-55 + 35mm (if I can swing the second lens). The 55-200mm and 60mm won't be far behind, I hope....

BJL

Fujifilm X System: massive discounts on almost every lens
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 11:26:20 am »

There's an interesting piece on the diglloyd blog about the Fuji X system discounts and possible reasons for them.

I wonder if Fuji are about to release a full frame system? Doubt it, but can live in hope.
Do you care to summarize briefly? I have to fear that discounts that big on almost every lens for the system is an adjustment to poor sales: the X system's engineers seem far better than their marketing people so far.

And since one rule of photography forums is that any new information whatsoever will be interpreted as a sign that "FULL FRAME IS COMING" --- oh never mind, I will not interfere with anyone's desire to perpetually "live in hope".

P. S. It is Fujifilm, not "Fuji", which is part of the name of numerous Japanese companies, and the only one that uses the name just "Fuji" is the bike maker http://www.fujibikes.com/general/company

Manoli

Re: Fujifilm X System: massive discounts on almost every lens
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »

I have to fear that discounts that big on almost every lens for the system is an adjustment to poor sales: the X system's engineers seem far better than their marketing people so far.

... and an adjustment (realignment) to a 30% devaluation of the Yen since October last year.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 12:46:56 pm »

When do we Brits (living in rip-off Britain, which might be a clue) get the discount?

BJL

Re: Fujifilm X System: massive discounts on almost every lens
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 06:05:23 pm »

I've seen the toys now give me the real thing.
A misunderstanding: I thought you were summarizing Lloyd Chambers, but were instead giving your own reasons for wanting a super-sized version of the X system. I have now found what LC says about the massive lens price cuts:
... 30-50% off on lenses ... says that Fujifilm is having serious trouble moving product to have to discount that deeply ... Or it could mean they have decided to go for market share by eating large losses (it seems unlikely that such prices can be profitable).
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2013/20130604_1-Fujifilm-viability.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:07:42 pm by BJL »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up