Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black and White Sunset  (Read 1324 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Black and White Sunset
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:14:15 am »

:)

stamper

Re: Black and White Sunset
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:20 am »

Unfortunately it doesn't - imo - look like a sunset. More like an abstract of something?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:18:42 am »

Unfortunately it doesn't - imo - look like a sunset. More like an abstract of something?

Using the word "abstract" to describe this image is correct  ;)

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:31:52 am »

You know, Dave, the world of photography has changed dramatically since you and I started. For instance, there is this thing, called "big stopper," not sure if you heard of it, that youngsters these days use to smooth water surface. It is some kind of a very strong neutral density filter, up to 10 f/stops. You should try it one day. It would surely bring you much closer to your desired "abstract" result, get rid of that busy sea surface.

;) ;D

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:58:14 am »

You know, Dave, the world of photography has changed dramatically since you and I started. For instance, there is this thing, called "big stopper," not sure if you heard of it, that youngsters these days use to smooth water surface. It is some kind of a very strong neutral density filter, up to 10 f/stops. You should try it one day. It would surely bring you much closer to your desired "abstract" result, get rid of that busy sea surface.

;) ;D

I've had one for years, well before they became so popular, cost a bloody fortune to have shipped over to the UK with import duties etc.

But I quickly grew tired of that look once everyone else got something similar and the net became awash with long exposure flat sea images, as it's now been done to death. Also using a stopper type filter means the clouds would also be smoothed out flat, which I didn't want. Although I do like a proper reflection if I get the chance to shoot one and the flat sea look can still look amazing if done correctly, it is just that it is now done as a matter of course these days, if you know what I mean.

So yes I do agree with you Slobodan, the sea does indeed look wavy, but that's how the sea looked like at the time I took the shot, wavy, so that's how I captured it to retain detail in the clouds.

Flat sea images are a bit like the assumption these days that because of the over use of HDR and the HDR effect, that images shouldn't have shadows in them and now it is the same with the big stopper filters effect, because non dramatic seas shouldn't have waves in them either it seems.

So yes I agree, perhaps not a shot for everyone and outside of the modern idiom.

I better make sure I never post any long exposure flat sea images now hadn't I?

:)

Dave
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:08:04 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

superduckz

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:59 am »

I've had one for years,
But I quickly grew tired of that look once everyone else got something similar and the net became awash with long exposure flat sea images, as it's now been done to death. Also using a stopper type filter means the clouds would also be smoothed out flat, which I didn't want.

Compared to the talent level on here I'm a complete noob but I couldn't agree more.  I even got my own 9 stop filter and had a lot of fun with it.  But then I noticed how overused it is and decided to leave it in the bag except for rare occasions.  I'm waiting for some lightening to take it back out again.

Oh and I think your photo is perfect just the way you shot it.  The definition of the differeint types of cloud formations is excellent.  2 cents..

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:50:43 am »

... using a stopper type filter means the clouds would also be smoothed out flat, which I didn't want...

Not if you first take a fast exposure to freeze the sky and then another, slow one, and combine them in post. You know, there is that other thing youngsters came up with, I think it is called Photostore...no, wait...Photoshop.

But I am sure you would never use such a thing, as you like to shoot things "the way they look like at the time you are shooting them."

;) ;D

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 12:17:03 pm »

Not if you first take a fast exposure to freeze the sky and then another, slow one, and combine them in post. You know, there is that other thing youngsters came up with, I think it is called Photostore...no, wait...Photoshop.

But I am sure you would never use such a thing, as you like to shoot things "the way they look like at the time you are shooting them."

;) ;D

Touché - you know what Slobodan, one day we will have to meet up and spend an evening in the pub together, I know you would be such good company and that I would probably spend most of the evening with a daft grin on my face and enjoying the general badinage  ;D

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up