Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Read and suffer  (Read 11830 times)

Rob C

Re: Read and suffer
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:10:29 am »

Marcel seems to be more noted today for his 'witty' take on the meaning of art than for anything he really produced; as for Cindy, if she isn't/wasn't for years a photographer on the most narcissistic of ego-trips, then she must indeed be so bloody brilliant that she's fooled us all: she's been an 'artist' all along and not at all one of the world's most publicly self-absorbed snappers! Congratulations of your new status, baby, and apologies for being so dumb as to not appreciate your magic.

;-)

Rob C

Gulag

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:59 pm »

Marcel seems to be more noted today for his 'witty' take on the meaning of art than for anything he really produced; as for Cindy, if she isn't/wasn't for years a photographer on the most narcissistic of ego-trips, then she must indeed be so bloody brilliant that she's fooled us all: she's been an 'artist' all along and not at all one of the world's most publicly self-absorbed snappers! Congratulations of your new status, baby, and apologies for being so dumb as to not appreciate your magic.

;-)

Rob C

You seem misunderstand both Duchamp and Sherman profoundly. May I suggest you google their personal lives and their process?

"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 05:02:43 am »

You seem misunderstand both Duchamp and Sherman profoundly. May I suggest you google their personal lives and their process?

Gulag, what are you suggesting? Don't be so rude!

;-)

Rob C

Gulag

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 11:45:47 am »

Gulag, what are you suggesting? Don't be so rude!

;-)

Rob C

I apologize if my suggestion for further readings deeply hurt your ego since I failed to remember some just want to hear what they like to hear, and want to believe what they like to believe. At any rate, both Duchamp and Sherman already have their firm positions in the art history of the 20th-Century.
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 12:12:31 pm »

Where did this idea that anything could be a work of art come from? It's generally believed to have come from Marcel Duchamp. In 1917, a urinal was sent to an art exhibition in New York, supposedly by Duchamp. But recent research has shown that the urinal was actually submitted by Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven. Her gesture was an early feminist attack on a male society. She didn't claim the urinal was a work of art. She was taking the piss.

Duchamp stole her idea much later when he began to promote himself as the founding father of modern art. The whole idea of the found object – the basis of conceptual art – was a con from the start.

Julian Spalding: Damien Hirsts are the sub-prime of the art world

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 01:12:07 pm »

Julian Spalding: Damien Hirsts are the sub-prime of the art world

Quite. Same as squeaky-door "classical" music. Emperor's new clothes.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 04:46:31 am »

The trick is being Mr Hirst.

All else is opinion. I atually believe that those buying the super-art products are not doing them as investment, but as a means of getting their kicks. When you have more money than you know what to do with sensibly, you do what those folks are able to do: use it for fun. Should your fun-buy then get kicked into another person's pleasure garden, the 'product' may actually gather more moss and be worth that much more. And if it only gets punctured and deflates, so what? You buy another classic car instead.

I really don't think anyone of us who isn't of the super-rich has any idea of what drives such people. I sort of think that is we did, we'd be up there with them too. I've know some such over long periods, and though there were times when I thought I had them figured, in retrospect, I don't think I ever really did.

The trouble with great wealth is that, on the face of it, for those who have it and with whom you are personally familiar, it always seems to have been a simple, natural progression from step 1 to step 2 etc, and the surprise is that one isn't capable of seeing the stepping stones for oneself. In other words, there but for myself go I!

So what's with a few crew-made artifacts?

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up