Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative Cloud Subscription for "Unsupported" Countries  (Read 14015 times)

LaroyGreen

Creative Cloud Subscription for "Unsupported" Countries
« on: May 27, 2013, 09:23:34 pm »

Good day all,

I know I'm pretty much doomed, but worth asking:

I live in a country (free, diverse, modern, democratic, friendly, no stupid tax laws - never had any UN Security Council issues) that is not supported by Adobe's Creative Cloud (view here) and I am wondering if its possible to still subscribe to Creative Cloud? I don't want to buy the boxed version of CS6, which seems like a silly idea considering it will soon be outdated, but Adobe (as far as I can tell) has not provided any options for people like me. Can anyone recommend a solution?

They don't accept PayPal and they won't accept my credit card.

BrianWJH

Re: Creative Cloud Subscription for "Unsupported" Countries
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:17 pm »

Hi, sorry to hear that you are not in the Adobe list of supported countries.

Paypal for subscription based software is problematic because of the need to automatically debit the periodic subscription charge.

Even if you circumvent the payment issues, you may find that Adobe check your ip address (geolocation) for the originating country when executing license checks or issuing software updates.

Unless there is functionality in the CC version of CS7 that you cannot live without, I'd just buy the boxed version of CS6 before it's no longer possible, at least you will then have access to 99% of functionality your are likely to need in the foreseeable future.

Cheers,
Brian.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:33:10 am »

Paypal for subscription based software is problematic because of the need to automatically debit the periodic subscription charge.
PayPal DO have a subscription payment system.
OK, it's a nightmare if you want to get out of a subscription, but it exists and IS used by some software vendors now.

For the OP;
There has been mention that it's possible to buy the subscription products boxed by mail order for a year at a time. Maybe this might work for you. I'd certainly call or email Adobe and ask how you can buy it from them. I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear how you get on.

LaroyGreen

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 06:59:33 am »

I chatted with Adobe and they redirected me to a local company's (which I've never heard of) website; the site was pretty up to date - but no Photoshop to be found anywhere ;D (though they had Office 365 and Windows 8 ). Adobe also said they probably will only have CS6, though they plan to open the Adobe store in other regions "in the future"  ::)

I'll give them a call later in the morning to see if they actually do have it, and hopefully they have CC (and only Photoshop and not the other things I'll never use).

Wondering what the benefit of "partners" is in 2013. I could understand when internet connections where slow, but now most persons likely to use Photoshop have access to reasonable internet speeds (with some exceptions obviously). Partners should provide support, local advertisement, demos, consultation, education & training (all would be much better attained online), but tailored to the local environment. None of this seems relevant and in the case of the local supplier Adobe provided - they don't do any of this whatsoever. So, in the end, I just pay more for more inconvenience :D

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:36:56 am »

If it makes you feel any better, Photoshop CC isn't much different from CS6, so you won't be missing out on much. The official differences:

A Photoshop CC single-app membership includes:

All the features originally found in Photoshop Extended, including support for 3D, and other measurement and analysis tools, plus:

New Photoshop CC features, like – Sync settings, camera shake reduction, intelligent upsampling, editable rounded rectangles, Adobe Camera Raw 8 (ACR8) improvements – including Automatic Upright and Advanced Healing Brush, as well as regular updates throughout the year.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

LaroyGreen

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »

So, just to give an update: Working SLOWLY with the local reseller over email to get set up with Adobe Creative Cloud. Haven't found out the price yet, but I keep seeing "Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams" on the banners, which is 70USD a month (without the resellers fees, which seems to be around 25% from looking at their website) $$$$$$$

I'm not paying more than 50 USD a month (I prefer to just get Photoshop for 20USD but that looks very unlikely that they'll allow that; fingers crossed!). I'm not a fan of all the other photo editing options out there, particularly because of the speed when handling large files. Gimp chokes on my computer with scanned 4x5 colour negatives, even at 1200DPI (my primary format right now) - might be a settings thing, but I could never get it to work.

How did we allow ourselves to fall into a monopoly like this!  >:(

LaroyGreen

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:55:37 am »

Still no quote from the reseller!

LaroyGreen

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:13:27 pm »

Still...No...Quote! Tomorrow and Friday are both public holidays, so nothing happening this week. How hard could it be to get a company to take my money? Photography is a hobby that for me is a stress release, and this is very stressful so I'm just going to discontinue the pursuit.

The forward plan is to evaluate the alternatives and see what I need to add to my computer to get the performance that I need :)

Maybe this is another opportunity to improve my in camera workflow and reduce my dependence on software limiting to just inverting, colour mask removal, dust and scratch removal and printing. I do this for landscapes and still life, but I struggle with portraits as I do enjoy retouching.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 05:18:58 pm »

Laroy, perhaps you should consider this app.
~ CB

LaroyGreen

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »

Currently on Windows 7 and I think this app is Mac only. Does look pretty though ;D

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 05:56:42 pm »

Have you thought of moving to another country?  ;)

LaroyGreen

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 06:56:43 pm »

Good suggestion, but I like it here! The alternative software can't be that bad  ;D

LaroyGreen

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 12:37:59 am »

As a side note, I work for a large international company that depends on a suite of software provided by a single vendor. We have been using their software since 1992 (!) and our relationship was great. This software company (which was fairly large as well) was bought by another company and then the accountants took over. So, they switched focus to "maintenance licenses", which is the same as subscriptions (you don't own the software, but you get better support, more features and better development).

For a while it worked, until we looked around and realized that every other company in our industry was being much more productive than we were; looking more closely, we realized that what actually happened was that our "maintenance" contracts basically made it easy for the company to fire their developers with massive and brutal layoffs (well, they outsourced it to ghost operators - answer the phone, issue bugfixes that destroyed more than it fixed), deliver little to no updates, but still realize no loss in revenue, and since everything is proprietary, we were locked in.

This looks very familiar and what is to stop Adobe (and any other software as a service provider) from taking the same route? Innovate to the point where CS6 is "irrelevant" and then just take a holding pattern for a few years. You are trapped, you can't get off the treadmill and Adobe has no incentive to continue to innovate based on your requirements, as they already have your business. If they want more profits, just fire some more people and raise the price; simple mathematics, as Mos Def said "killing fields need blood to graze the cash cow"

Not saying any of this will happen (hope it doesn't, especially layoffs), but their is precedence.

Rhossydd

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 01:50:36 am »

Innovate to the point where CS6 is "irrelevant"
Can you see that happening ? One of the headline new features in CC is 'editable round cornered rectangles' wow does that sound like compelling innovation for photographers ?

Even the most ardent Adobe evangelist admits Photoshop is now a mature product.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 02:51:32 am »

One of the headline new features in CC is 'editable round cornered rectangles' wow does that sound like compelling innovation for photographers ?
Photoshop isn't limited to photographers, and photographers aren't limited to photographs. I was actually glad they added this particular feature, even if it's 5 or 6 versions too late.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:21:53 am by johnbeardy »

LaroyGreen

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 06:57:04 am »

Yes, I agree. Hard to see where Photoshop heads from here in terms of features (the performance for me, while better than everything else I've used, is still not good enough; using graphics cards better, better multi-threading, better use of SSD hardware).

I should have put innovate in quotations as I was more referring to incompatibility between versions (important for people who collaborate) or even more drastically, you may lose the ability altogether to even work with "files" and instead everything is cloud based with only the ability to export into finished formats. Just a thought and I hope none of this happens.

Rhossydd

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 05:42:54 pm »

I was actually glad they added this particular feature, even if it's 5 or 6 versions too late.
and you'd be happy to pay £200+ pa to use that ?

Come one John, you're not daft, you know exactly the point I was making. Photoshop is complete now, there's no compelling features to add now and users are starting to realise that, so Adobe need some way to continue improving their financial growth. It can't be compelling product innovation, so now it's just bleeding the customers as hard as they can and tying them into life long subscriptions.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:16 pm »

£200 for that, no, but these small incremental features add up. As they are killing Fireworks and I've never adapted to Illustrator, rounded corners in Photoshop did speak directly to me, as did conditional actions (even if I can script), and I'm curious about a couple of other smaller features. Add them to the various content-aware fill features that came in CS5-6, and I'd dispute that it's already complete and offers no compelling new features. I'm genuinely not having a dig at you here, but I feel it's as much a problem with users' ability to appreciate new/better/faster ways to work. The truth will lie between the two, but in either case it's hard to see the subscription-only model as a sign of strength.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:35:55 pm by johnbeardy »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 08:14:07 pm »

By the way, earlier this evening I described my position on CC as rather like a Scouser defending Luis Suarez, if that means anything to you ;)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »

By the way, earlier this evening I described my position on CC as rather like a Scouser defending Luis Suarez, if that means anything to you ;)
ROFL!!  He started the vampire stuff while he was playing at my club, Ajax.  He bit an opponent's ear and got a massive suspension.  He never played another match as he was then sold to Liverpool for a goodly sum of money.  No question about his talent but he's sorely lacking upstairs in his head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up