Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contrast  (Read 2282 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Contrast
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:37:50 am »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Contrast
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

Nice motive, but looks busy. Worth coming closer, concentrating and simplifying?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 04:30:33 pm »

Chris -

Look at the top as a picture when you cut the bottom away under the upper, general clump of colour growing on the right of the trunk.

It makes a beautiful horizontal shot.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:14:29 pm »

Interesting idea....

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 03:39:13 am »

Chris -

Look at the top as a picture when you cut the bottom away under the upper, general clump of colour growing on the right of the trunk.

It makes a beautiful horizontal shot.

Rob C

The bit you're suggesting be cropped off makes quite an interesting shot as well: keep only the bottom third of the original and cut a little off the right hand side.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:18:18 am »

Interesting idea....

I'd have cropped much higher: on that top clump on the trunk, count down the three highly lit single leaves of ivy(?) and cut under the lower one, leaving the bright yellow leaf on the outer right of the clump; vey minimalistic and strong.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:29:01 am »

Go ahead and do it...I've tried several iterations of this and can't quite see what you are envisioning.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:38 am »

Go ahead and do it...I've tried several iterations of this and can't quite see what you are envisioning.

Okay, but don't hold your breath: I have to use the other, Photoshop computer which isn't usually Internet connected.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:38:51 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:50:49 am »

Chris -

As per invitation, here's another take on the scene.

Any fool, this one included, can take another person's work and second-guess; the trick is to be there in the first place and recognize the potential.

Thanks for the privilege of trying to mess around with your work.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:56:05 am »

Have to admit I did not see that...but now that I have, I like it. Thanks, Rob for taking the time and not succumbing to old foolishness.  ;D

amolitor

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 12:03:14 pm »

The question IS, how long can this go on?

Too far?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 02:06:52 pm »

It can go on as long as their are willing participants...who is to judge who has gone too far or not far enough...Rob made a suggestion for a crop that I could not see and did it for me and I liked...what it does is show me where I might look a little closer when I do a return trip. In this particular instance I was much too far away to make this shot a full frame composition. Next time I will have the 1.7 teleconverter and this won't be an issue. This also holds true of the Water's Edge shot...later in the day, less harsh light...yadda, yadda.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »

It can go on as long as their are willing participants...who is to judge who has gone too far or not far enough...Rob made a suggestion for a crop that I could not see and did it for me and I liked...what it does is show me where I might look a little closer when I do a return trip. In this particular instance I was much too far away to make this shot a full frame composition. Next time I will have the 1.7 teleconverter and this won't be an issue. This also holds true of the Water's Edge shot...later in the day, less harsh light...yadda, yadda.

I have a feeling that something else is at work with these decisions: format; both of reproduction and of capture.

Some shots, such as Chris's original frame, work well when viewed as rather large prints, because on a large scale, the different sections of a single picture allow deeper observation of smaller areas because they are seen as larger. With smaller prints, it's far more difficult to see into detail, and then capture becomes less simple - one might have to be more radical and settle for smaller sections of whatever the reality in front of the camera might be.

This is akin to Robert Capa's (?) war photography dictum: if your images aren't good enough it's because you aren't close enough.

Not to say Chris didn't have a good image, just that getting tighter can be stronger. To a point, that is, and then it becomes something else.

Again, thanks for the opportunity to play.

Rob C

amolitor

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 02:56:02 pm »

I was actually slightly shocked to find that my ridiculous crop actually kind of works. It's just too strange of a format, I think, for most settings.

Tonysx

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 08:07:16 pm »

Dare I say it? "Nice Bottom"?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:09:12 pm by Tonysx »
‘Be you ever so high, the law

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 10:11:08 pm »

Too far?

No, Andrew... not enough.

As long as there is a single pixel standing, you've not gone too far cropping. Go radical, man!

If you think I am joking, check this out - select one pixel row and distort it, something like the attached. I am combining it with the source image, but it could stand on its own, as a pure abstraction, just as well.

P.S. If you think I am joking #2: there is a guy who actually sells art like this to big corporations for big bucks.

P.P.S. I turned it into a square especially for Rob ;)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 03:34:45 am »

Dare I say it? "Nice Bottom"?

You certainly can. That's what I was trying to convey.

Jeremy

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 05:26:27 am »

Too far?

Not at all. Especially if you create it as a stitched hdr pano with a kazillion pixels which reveal every excruciatingly small and equally irrelevant detail with unprecedented depth and clarity so you can honestly say that the web image doesn't do a life size print any justice whatsoever.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up