Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Border  (Read 1041 times)

mdg

• MdG Landscape
Border
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:55:13 am »

This is my second post for critiquing.  I learned something my first post especially on empty space.

I would like to know your thoughts on this one

Thanks in advance :)

Tony Jay

Re: Border
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:20:20 am »

Interesting shot.
There is no criticism for taking the 'minimalist approach'.
The trade-off between an image depicting an actual scene yet full of abstract qualities creates the kind of interpretative tension in the viewer that lifts it into a different realm.
I confess to being curious about what the colour image looks like but I am not advocating for the 'colour version'.

Keep shooting and keep posting!

Tony Jay

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:04:12 pm »

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your comment.

I intended to shoot this in black and white and so the colored version is not interesting at least for me.

Anyway, may I know though if you find the portion of the sky too big?

(bow)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 04:13:58 pm »

.. may I know though if you find the portion of the sky too big?

I do not.

It is so-called Dutch landscape, where the horizon is placed in the lower fifth of the composition.

What I would like to see is more detail in the water, to recognize the buoys (I assume that's what they are) as such, and give them context. Without that, it just looks like white dots.

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 04:39:35 pm »

The horizon is not necessarily too low.
Where to place an horizon, either in-camera or in post-processing by cropping, is always a horse-for-courses decision since by changing its placement it obviously changes the entire feel of the image and how it is then interpreted.
In your case the fact that the clear sky dominates the image in the way that it does reflects an aesthetic statement by yourself.
The question, in my humble opinion anyway, does not then revolve around whether I think it is right to place the horizon where it is but rather what you are trying to communicate in your image given the placement of the horizon.
Compositional tools are just that: tools. They are not rules that you are bound by. Use compositional tools to build your artistic vision.
It is true that not all compositional tools play well together so how to combine them takes some wisdom, some experience, and ultimately a lot of artistic horse-sense.
Perhaps it is worthwhile reflecting a question back to you: Do you think that you have achieved your artistic and aesthetic aims in this image?
I think the answer to this question may well settle your question to me.

Tony Jay

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 12:47:28 am »

What I would like to see is more detail in the water, to recognize the buoys (I assume that's what they are) as such, and give them context. Without that, it just looks like white dots.

Thank you...got it :)

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:48:52 am »

Where to place an horizon, either in-camera or in post-processing by cropping, is always a horse-for-courses decision since by changing its placement it obviously changes the entire feel of the image and how it is then interpreted.
In your case the fact that the clear sky dominates the image in the way that it does reflects an aesthetic statement by yourself.
The question, in my humble opinion anyway, does not then revolve around whether I think it is right to place the horizon where it is but rather what you are trying to communicate in your image given the placement of the horizon.
Compositional tools are just that: tools. They are not rules that you are bound by. Use compositional tools to build your artistic vision.
It is true that not all compositional tools play well together so how to combine them takes some wisdom, some experience, and ultimately a lot of artistic horse-sense.
Perhaps it is worthwhile reflecting a question back to you: Do you think that you have achieved your artistic and aesthetic aims in this image?
I think the answer to this question may well settle your question to me.

I'm learning a lot.  Thank you Tony (bow)

Riccardo

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:45:56 am »

In the picture of your first post it was clear, at least to me, what you had fascinated at the time of shooting and the comments about the image were essentially of technical nature (obviously with aesthetic implications), relating to the post-production process.
In this picture, my impression is that you have not been really fascinated by something, but rather that you've glimpsed the possibility of obtaining an effect.
Of course I can be wrong and my purpose is to suggest a third question, in addition to those of Tony Jay: "What led me to photograph?".

mdg

• MdG Landscape
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 04:33:08 am »

In this picture, my impression is that you have not been really fascinated by something, but rather that you've glimpsed the possibility of obtaining an effect.

I suppose you are right on the "obtaining an effect" part.  Tony has answered my question.  However, I didn't realize I need to answer his question.  I thought he was making a point?

Anyway, for me, I believe I have achieved the aesthetic aims on my image.  I just wanted any inputs on the placement of horizon.

Tony Jay

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:56 am »

I suppose you are right on the "obtaining an effect" part.  Tony has answered my question.  However, I didn't realize I need to answer his question.  I thought he was making a point?
Corrrect.
At least not on the forum but rather for personal consideration.

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up