Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr File Problems  (Read 1082 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Lr File Problems
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:33:47 am »

My son returned from two weeks in Australia with over 800 photographs taken with my old Dimage A2 camera. We imported all the files, from four memory cards, into Lightroom. When we imported the files, we had a couple of issues to deal with:
1. He shot RAW + JPG, so we put all the JPGs in separate folders.
2. The camera was set to restart numbering on each memory card, so we had to set up a new folder for each card (within a top level folder – 2012_5 Australia) because the file names were duplicated across the memory cards.
3. He had his ISO setting wrong and shot all his shots at ISO400, which results in a grainy image that we corrected with large synchonizations of noise and sharpening settings. (In post, not on import.) Because of this, I don' want to just delete everything and re-do the import, though we still have the images on the memory cards.

After making all the noise corrections and other post processing fixes, we have a good selection of photographs, but they seem to be rearranged from how we set them up originally:
1. All the completed  files are now in one folder and have a suffix added to the file name so that there is no duplication. This is fine, except that we didn't set it this way in the folders. I'd like to understand how they got rearranged and renumbered.
2. Three of the four folders we set up for the RAW files now have only 34k “OpenOffice.org 1.1 Configuration File” documents with the original file names. (No suffixes.) I suspect these are sidecar files and Windows does not know what they are so it uses the type-name for my text editor, OpenOffice. I tested deleting one of these files and it did not seem to affect the Lr copy of the image. The forth of these folders has the original MRW files, which are also in the top folder as DNGs. Must have been an import error there. None of these four folders show in Lr, only in Windows.
3. We have four folders of the JPG files, which seem to be unchanged, but they are also pretty bad due to the ISO issue and I don't want them in Lr anymore.

My questions are:
1. What are the “OpenOffice” files? I'm thinking they may be XMP sidecar files though I don't know why they wouldn't show up as such in Windows. Also, I converted from MRW to DNG on import, so there shouldn't be any sidecar files. If I delete them will I lose all my Lr settings?
2. I want to remove all the JPG files from Lr and Windows. Is the best way to delete them to remove them from Lr first, then delete them on disk after wards?
3. How does Lr handle multiple images with the same file number? I assumed this would create a problem if I put them into the same folder, but if Lr is clever enough to see they are really different files and renumbers them, I needn’t have worried about it and just imported them all into the same folder.

Thanks for your help. The images, btw, are not up to what I would have wanted due to the ISO issue, but I have to say that Sidney, The Apostles and The Blue Mountains, where he toured, certainly have plenty of excellent photographic opportunities.  This was one of his successes; it is a four image panorama.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:40:37 am by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

eliedinur

Re: Lr File Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:40:37 am »

A dozen years ago I had a couple Minoltas, first a Dimage 7i and then a Dimage A1. I attempted to recreate your situation by putting an A1 MRW file into a folder on my Desktop called "Minolta mrw". I imported that file into LR 4.4 as a DNG with the destination folder designated as Desktop/ "Minolta dng" As should be the case, the MRW file remained untouched; copying and importing as a DNG does not delete the original. After editing the image I did Ctrl+S in order to save the edits to XMP, which because it was a DNG was internal, and then exported a Jpg to a third folder "Minolta jpg". In no case was there anything else in those folders other than one of the three files, as was entirely expected. Conclusion: those "mysterious" Open Office files were not created by LR, have no connection to LR and can be deleted without affecting LR. Perhaps at some point the Open Office application attempted to open the jpgs (it is highly unlikely it would react to either MRW or DNG files) and left behind configuration files to speed up opening them a second time.

If you wish to trash the jpgs, do so from within LR if they have already been imported to LR. Simply right-click and select Delete/Remove from Disk or filter according to file type, select all the jpgs and do Photo/Delete/Remove from Disk/.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:52:23 am »

>>>
1. What are the “OpenOffice” files? I'm thinking they may be XMP sidecar files though I don't know why they wouldn't show up as such in Windows. ...
>>>
If you can't see the ".xmp" extension on the file name I assume you are in Windows Explorer and have that pesky option set to "hide extensions for known file types" (in Windows Explorer's Tools>Folder Options>View tab): so right-click on one of these files and select "Properties" - which will show its full file name (including extension) so you can see if it is indeed .XMP

Kevin

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:05:25 pm »

Good information. Thank you. The Minolta Dimage series were lovely cameras. Too bad Minolta got out of the business though some of their technology lives on in the Sony cameras.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up