Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 using USB port  (Read 1257 times)

MrIconoclast

Z3200 using USB port
« on: May 25, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »

I have an HP Z3200 that I currently have plugged into my Airport router using the ethernet connection.

Because I must move the printer far from the router, I may not be able to do this for some time.

Has anybody used the Z3200 connecting it to the computer using the USB port?  Where there any problems?  What differences did you notice?

I would think it would work about the same other than being able to use an IP number to get statistics from the printer.  But, I know that technologyh has ways of coming up and biting us when we assume anything. :-)

Thanks.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Re: Z3200 using USB port
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 06:45:07 am »

I had both a Z3100 and Z3200 connected to a PC running Win Vista then Win 7 with no problem.  I had a long 25 foot USB 2 cable as well.  I now am all Mac and have my Z3200 connected via ENet so I must say I do not have experience with Mac and USB connection.

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 07:41:43 pm »

I can't see a problem with a USB connection for any printer; it is more direct than Ethernet. USB 2, which is unfortunately the only type on most printers, will be several times slower than Ethernet. So you will have a longer lag, when send an image to the printer, but that will not affect the timing of the print once it gets there.

Brian A

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:26:49 pm »

USB ultimately failed with our Z3200 in OSX. HP conceded that USB connection prevented the HP Printer Utility from working in some cases, and I was told that they, HP, did not know why USB failures occurred. I had used an USB connection for some months when the failure arose. Enet resolved the problem, as HP said it would. Since the networked connection was trouble free, and since it provided other advanteages, I never pursued the USB idea again.

I have no idea about the Windows world.

John-

MonsterBaby

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:16:24 am »

i had probs too with windows on a too long USB cord
Pages: [1]   Go Up