Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "something nothing" Need Help  (Read 7792 times)

bigdaddyg

"something nothing" Need Help
« on: May 25, 2013, 03:06:54 pm »

I need help with an assignment.  My theme is "something nothing"  (yea that is it) and for the past 48 hrs I have trying to come up with an idea on how to present this photographically.  I have thought of a few ideas like macro shots of texture, liquids, and common objects that can not be readily distiguished from the image.  However I want to dig a bit deeper and make this a great project.  I have also thought of doing some traveling this summer and take shots of ghost towns and abandoned areas in the south and south west.  The other things that came to mind is abstract shadows on buildings, walls, and other structures.  I am really looking for some help and ideas and any photographers that you could point me to that might be inspirational.  BTW this project will likely be used to gain my admittance into grad school. 

Thanks for reading
GregH

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: "something nothing" Need Help
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 04:21:24 pm »

How about the tide washing away footprints in the sand..

Dave

bigdaddyg

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:33:39 pm »

Dave thanks.  I like that idea and done correctly it could be effective.  Not sure how to make that into a complete project.  I am looking at a series of at least 25 photos.  I will keep that one on the list because it will mean me driving to a beach to take the pics.  That by itself is worth it.

GregH

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 04:42:06 pm »

How about the idea of erosion generally?

bigdaddyg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:52:58 pm »

Erosion is something that I definitely thought about.  My only concern is that my last project was on urban decay and I do not want to get caught in the trap of doing the same type of stuff.  Also I am in Memphis Tn (although I plan to travel for this project) there is not much outside of strutural erosion in this part of the country.  Very flat and mostly farmland.  I will keep this on the list and examine the possibilities of how I could make this work.   There are no right or wrong answers.  I am really looking for exactly what you two have provided.  Ideas that I can look into deeper and see what and how they trigger my mind.  I am a very left brain person so creativity is lacking but I am very technically competent.

GregH

Pete_G

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 02:08:14 pm »

Take a look at the photos of Stephen Shore, who has the uncanny ability to turn the mundane into something beautiful and possibly meaningful.

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »

Is your theme 'something, nothing' or 'something from nothing' or 'something or nothing?'.  The second and third make sense, the first doesn't.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 09:55:39 pm »

Who came up with this theme? Must be an academic.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:38:05 am »

Who came up with this theme? Must be an academic.

It sounds like the 'ideas' shooting scripts that stock agencies were wont to give - the shooting of images around a vague phrase that was meant to fulfil a vast range of advertising 'needs' as they were called. You know, you type in a keyword and out pops a pretty picture to illustrate your theme. Possibly. They used to use the words 'cutting edge' quite a lot themselves, the agencies. A horrid use of an idea.

Rob C

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 08:21:54 am »

Places where you expect to see people, but without the people.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:02:15 am »

Places where you expect to see people, but without the people.

You mean, like an empty bandstand?

Rob C

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:46:04 am »

Hi Greg.  If this project is going to be used for possible entry onto a Higher Education course, I would suggest that a key part is going to be your thinking behind the project.  I'm not so sure I would look at other photographers work for inspiration.  With no brief to fulfil or client to please this should be just about you, and what you think and how you interpret the world visually.  My advice would be to spend some time thinking about how the 'Something Nothing' words could apply to a subject you are passionate about.  It's going to be your ability to communicate an idea through pictures that will give you a project that will appeal to your assessors.

Jim

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 09:50:15 am »

You mean, like an empty bandstand?

Rob C

Something like that - a deserted bus terminal, an empty sports arena, empty bar, and the like. Don't know if these would really work for the theme, but it's my only idea.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 10:01:53 am »

It sounds like the 'ideas' shooting scripts that stock agencies were wont to give - the shooting of images around a vague phrase that was meant to fulfil a vast range of advertising 'needs' as they were called. You know, you type in a keyword and out pops a pretty picture to illustrate your theme. Possibly. They used to use the words 'cutting edge' quite a lot themselves, the agencies. A horrid use of an idea.

Rob C

I think we used to call this "concept" shooting but who would type the keywords "something nothing" into a search engine? Even Google can't figure that one out.

bigdaddyg

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 02:29:27 pm »

All thanks for your replies.  It is helping. 
Jim,
 thank you for your reply also.  I agree this does have to come from me.  However for some reason photography is one of the only art forms that people feel we should not look to others for inspiration.  Many guitarist have been inspired by Hendrix, Painters study the classics and learn from them and Rembrant's use of light, yet photographers feel that they should do it on their own.  I do not agree with this theory.  I feel that I can learn and get inspired by others works and it helps stimulate thought and helps me to evolve toward my own style and form.   This is why I asked for other photographers and ideas.  Eventually the project will be mine and only mine because I am a unique individual just as you and the rest of us are.  I will never see through the lens of these other photographers but studying them may give me an idea of where to start my journey.

Yes this is an Academic assignment and the subject is just "something nothing"  Coming from an engineering management background I am used to pulling all available resources to complete a project.  I am using you and the members of this fine forum as available talent and resources and feel that there is nothing wrong with that approach if the end results are uniquely mine ;)
My brain is only so big and I can only think within my scope of knowledge.  100 brains filled with ideas is immensely better than one. 

I am thinking of driving across country with my son.  The trip will be from Memphis to LA then up to San Fran and back to Memphis.  I would like to spend this time shooting my project.  I thought of visiting all the Ghost towns along the way and shooting them.  Or shooting some desert/canyon/cavern scenes and create an abstract compilation of some thought.  Opinions needed.

Thanks again

Thanks

bigdaddyg

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 02:33:47 pm »

Just wanted to add something.   I read many forums and only chose to post this to only this forum.  There was a good reason for that.  I find that this forum usually has a more mature conversation about subjects.  After reading this forum for that past two years I finally joined and hope to be an active contributor.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 03:54:22 pm »

All thanks for your replies.  It is helping. 
Jim,
 thank you for your reply also.  I agree this does have to come from me.  However for some reason photography is one of the only art forms that people feel we should not look to others for inspiration.  Many guitarist have been inspired by Hendrix, Painters study the classics and learn from them and Rembrant's use of light, yet photographers feel that they should do it on their own.  I do not agree with this theory.  I feel that I can learn and get inspired by others works and it helps stimulate thought and helps me to evolve toward my own style and form.   This is why I asked for other photographers and ideas.  Eventually the project will be mine and only mine because I am a unique individual just as you and the rest of us are.  I will never see through the lens of these other photographers but studying them may give me an idea of where to start my journey.

Yes this is an Academic assignment and the subject is just "something nothing"  Coming from an engineering management background I am used to pulling all available resources to complete a project.  I am using you and the members of this fine forum as available talent and resources and feel that there is nothing wrong with that approach if the end results are uniquely mine ;)
My brain is only so big and I can only think within my scope of knowledge.  100 brains filled with ideas is immensely better than one. 

I am thinking of driving across country with my son.  The trip will be from Memphis to LA then up to San Fran and back to Memphis.  I would like to spend this time shooting my project.  I thought of visiting all the Ghost towns along the way and shooting them.  Or shooting some desert/canyon/cavern scenes and create an abstract compilation of some thought.  Opinions needed.

Thanks again

Thanks

I think you’re heading into dangerous territory.

You background in engineering management is of little help to you here. If anything, I think it’s a huge disadvantage to you. The thought processes in management, as you point about, are all about combining thoughts and ideas from different sources and making the most of them to a common benefit.

Not so photography.

Photography is about the individual.

If you don’t get that right away, then I see no future for you in it. Of course, your concern with photography may only be as aid or stepping stone towards something quite else – I hope so.

In fact, your very act of asking a broad spectrum of people for their ideas on your quest strikes me as the opposite of what your mindset should be: you should be busy cooking all by yourself, stretching your own mental capacities and not looking for the equivalent of tailor-made solutions from anyone else. In essence, following the ‘management’ route. Bad move for an activity that thrives on the individual’s quirks and sparks.

My opinion.

Rob C

bigdaddyg

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 05:06:36 pm »

Photography is about the individual.

If you don’t get that right away, then I see no future for you in it. Of course, your concern with photography may only be as aid or stepping stone towards something quite else – I hope so.

In fact, your very act of asking a broad spectrum of people for their ideas on your quest strikes me as the opposite of what your mindset should be: you should be busy cooking all by yourself, stretching your own mental capacities and not looking for the equivalent of tailor-made solutions from anyone else. In essence, following the ‘management’ route. Bad move for an activity that thrives on the individual’s quirks and sparks.

My opinion.

Rob C

[/quote]Hmmm  I guess I should just hang it up then...

Rand47

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 08:44:28 pm »

"Something nothing" is the foundation of modern man's departure from the concept of antithesis in classical philosophy to that of synthesis and from there on to postmodernism and the death of the possibility of meaning. The naturalist says existence arose out of nothing to produce the the complex physical universe as well as the complexity of personality and the non tangible reality of values, meaning, beauty, love, and the like.  But that nothing isn't a true nothing-nothing, but rather a something-nothing by necessity. 

It is the angst of modern man trying to find meaning when all he's been taught all his life is that there is no objective reference point for meaning.  Photograph that.
Rand Scott Adams

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 03:45:33 am »

"Something nothing" is the foundation of modern man's departure from the concept of antithesis in classical philosophy to that of synthesis and from there on to postmodernism and the death of the possibility of meaning. The naturalist says existence arose out of nothing to produce the the complex physical universe as well as the complexity of personality and the non tangible reality of values, meaning, beauty, love, and the like.  But that nothing isn't a true nothing-nothing, but rather a something-nothing by necessity. 

It is the angst of modern man trying to find meaning when all he's been taught all his life is that there is no objective reference point for meaning.  Photograph that.

Nobody needs to photograph it: that's how galleristas present their merchandise, and how they convince their portégés they should construct their 'artist's statements' to read.

All part of the precious pretension. Makes bucks for some! Made the offer, I'd play the game too.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up