Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF8300 - Printing in Monochrome  (Read 2999 times)

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
Canon IPF8300 - Printing in Monochrome
« on: May 24, 2013, 07:28:21 pm »

In The Canon Export Plugin Via Photoshop there is the option to print in Monochrome with various toning options under the "Color Settings" Tab. This is quite similar to the ABW driver that Epson provides.

Have any Canon users found a way to access this Monochrome option via the Canon driver in Lightroom? I would like the option of printing directly from my raw images in Lightroom with the Monochrome settings without having round-trip to Photoshop and use the Canon export plugin.

Thanks

~ Jeff

P.S.: I know I can just tone my RGB images in Lightroom and print, but in some cases I prefer the results from Canon's Monochrome option.
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Canon IPF8300 - Printing in Monochrome
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:48 pm »

Have any Canon users found a way to access this Monochrome option via the Canon driver in Lightroom?

You cant. IMO the export plugin does a better job than LR. The colors are cleaner and the prints more vibrant (less muddy). The differences are subtle, but substantial enough that I prefer the plugin over LR's printing. YMMV.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:27 pm »

I've heard great things about Bowhaus True Black & White plug-in for monochrome printing on the ipf8300. Unfortunately, it's Mac-only. Bowhaus has been promising a Windows version for like 3-4 years now, but that is almost certainly vaporware at this stage. Don't think we will ever see it.

All Thumbs

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:46:23 pm »

Jeff,

You can print in the "monochrome" mode from LR if you are willing to use the standard menu set, not the plug-in.  Oh, and I'm can only speak about LM 4.4 on the MAC, I'm running 10.7.  I can't tell from you're post if you have tried this path or if it applies.

Under "Print Job" > color management > profile (where the paper Profile usually goes)

select "Managed by Printer"

in Print Settings pull downs

Color Matching, select Vendor matching

Main > Color mode select Monochrome

below the the color mode pull down is a "set.." button, click on it to get your toning  and adjustment sliders.

I have skipped the options that I think are self explanatory and don't relate directly monochrome.  Hope I haven't forgotten any steps.

Good luck.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

Jeff,

You can print in the "monochrome" mode from LR if you are willing to use the standard menu set, not the plug-in.  Oh, and I'm can only speak about LM 4.4 on the MAC, I'm running 10.7.  I can't tell from you're post if you have tried this path or if it applies.

Under "Print Job" > color management > profile (where the paper Profile usually goes)

select "Managed by Printer"

in Print Settings pull downs

Color Matching, select Vendor matching

Main > Color mode select Monochrome

below the the color mode pull down is a "set.." button, click on it to get your toning  and adjustment sliders.

I have skipped the options that I think are self explanatory and don't relate directly monochrome.  Hope I haven't forgotten any steps.

Good luck.

Awesome.... That is exactly what I was looking for and it works! Thanks deloof!

~ Jeff

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:42:51 am »

You cant. IMO the export plugin does a better job than LR. The colors are cleaner and the prints more vibrant (less muddy). The differences are subtle, but substantial enough that I prefer the plugin over LR's printing. YMMV.

Actually, you can (at least in the iPF64/84 driver)...you don't get access to the custom curves found in the plug-in with the print driver version but you have the same basic monochromatic + color tinting (I say tinting because both the driver and the plug-in at limited to doing only a single color tint, no split toning allowed).

Much like the limitation in the Epson ABW mode, you can't do split toning...so if you want that you'll need to do so in ACR/LR and print using an ICC workflow.

I've also found from testing that the Canon color tinting is a bit more limited in the max color tint/saturation (compared to Epson's ABW mode) and neither can hold a candle to doing the color toning in LR/ACR/PS.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 05:35:30 pm »

I've also found from testing that the Canon color tinting is a bit more limited in the max color tint/saturation (compared to Epson's ABW mode) and neither can hold a candle to doing the color toning in LR/ACR/PS.

I agree. I like the simplicity of application level toning and have found color printing of B&W images with excellent custom profiles to work really well, especially across a variety of printers. Of course, I like the idea of using an Advanced B&W mode for it's reduced use of color inks and greater reliance upon the black and greys but the reality is that we just don't have the metamerism issues we used to have (that drove us towards the ABW modes in the first place). I printed some delicately toned B&W images to some 4900, 9900, 11880, 8300, 9400 and SureColor S70 printers this week - all in color mode using custom profiles and the consistency across all of them, as well as the print quality, and workflow ease were all fantastic!

So while the Monochrome Photos mode can be excellent I'd urge you to consider B&W printing in color mode as well. You'll want to be on top of the on-board calibration and custom profiling of course, but if you are the results are excellent, predictable and consistent.

Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 06:09:54 pm »

The advantage to using 'color' icc profiles for B/W printing is just what Jeff and Scott say.  You can control the toning much better than through a dedicated driver (in my case Epson ABW).  I find the toning wheel in the ABW driver extremely awkward to use as it's more miss than hit once you go outside the presets that Epson has supplied with the driver.  The little image in the driver is useless in trying to decide what type of toning is best and you are then faced with making a lot of prints in order to get what you want.  I find that toning is best done as noted but if one is just going for a straight B/W print the ABW driver is fantastic.  Fortunately WinOS still supports the use of dedicated profiles for the ABW driver which helps to improve the linearity of the response (though of course that is subject to change).

As an aside there are a number of samples of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth printed with the Epson ABW driver under testing at Aardenburg.  Mark and I thought it might be interesting to explore all the parameters of the toning wheel including some settings that would likely never be used.

Clearair

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 03:57:11 pm »

Go to Canon website and download DPP as supplied with Canon cameras.
This is a raw processor that will give access to the Canon iPF plugin.

So you print direct from raw using the plugin. I have used this on some BW tribal shots a year ago. There was a hiccup with the latest version but it should be fixed now as Canon were demo'ing this workflow over a year ago at the Pro Solutions show in London.
Where I pointed out the hiccup to them as I saw they were not running the latest DPP version or printer firmware.

I have not tried it since but it worked VERY well and I intent to have it as part of my workflow, in a future Photoshop free if things go on as they are.
Apple annoys me sometimes but Adobe takes the biscuit. Having said that, Adobe staff on the phone are efficient and friendly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up