Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Photo Agency Managed by the Crowd  (Read 2609 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
A Photo Agency Managed by the Crowd
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »

This looks to have some great potential: http://rising.blackstar.com/a-photo-agency-managed-by-the-crowd.html

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

byarvin

Re: A Photo Agency Managed by the Crowd
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:41:20 pm »

I checked it out and notice that it's missing the two things that make stock photo businesses successful; first, there's no promotion going on in the picture buyer world and second, there's no sales team. I don't see how it can work until those two components are in place.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:01:07 am »

My suspìcion is that the stock business isn't going to be what it used to be.

Fragmentation of agencies isn't a good thing: it creates too many outlets that will probably never get visited. I can't seriously believe that any guy in an ad agency, looking to buy some images, will travel through a zillion little sites when he already has contacts with the majors. (Yes, I'm sure that exceptions can be rolled out, they always can.)

If there is a problem, it is with the big agencies becoming greedy and cutting the photographers' percentages down too far. I don't buy that it is increased overheads that drove this: wasn't digital business management supposed to simplify and reduce costs?

As for the micros, well, they oviously have their place for the amateur shooter who might not have made it into a major agency, but had the majors not betrayed their good suppliers...

Personally, I think the game is pretty much over. But I may just have been out of touch too long.

Rob C

GWStudioLA

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 12:14:47 am »

The problem with stock agencies is that they take such a large percentage of the sales price. I think with the advantages of personal websites and search engines being so optimized..photographers can sell their own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up