Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refurbished Nikon Lens  (Read 803 times)

BobDavid

Refurbished Nikon Lens
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:54:58 pm »

I am thinking about buying an expensive refurbished Nikon lens from the Nikon outlet store. They offer a 90 day warranty. Has anyone out there had experience with Nikon refurb equipment? I'm interested in hearing the good and the bad.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Refurbished Nikon Lens
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:32 pm »

I've bought a couple of high-end P&S cameras years ago and since then, a couple of flashed, but with one flash, they were refurbs from dealers. Each looked new and worked as expected. However, check other vendors for prices since the Nikon Outlet Store is not Nikon owned, just licenses the name & sales rights. Some of the prices are absolutely crazy (way higher than the market) for some of their products.

You'll probably be fine with your purchase because in theory the product had to be inspected and repaired if needed for sale. It will come in a "generic" box but should have all the same parts as the new product.

I can tell you from experience, though, that the last "gray market" lens I did purchase since that was the only available after a theft, was a gray lens. After two years (it had a one-year warranty instead of the 5 year USA), the AF died in the field and I had to figure out how to make it useable.

That was the first of three more repairs that nearly equaled the original cost of the lens... I'd rather buy eBay or Craigs List than to by a gray market lens again!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up