Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Processing foveon images  (Read 1754 times)

bwana

Processing foveon images
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:12:52 pm »

Since I've been mesmerized by the pix coming out of the DP2-m, I have not really experimented with my workflow. The usual is sigma pro photo and just running down the sliders. Sharpness is one of the last adjustments (just before fill light = clarity on LR4). Actually, the sharpness slider doesnt do much. I guess this is not surprising since there is no bayer array to muck things up.There is however no noise adjustment in the tonal adjustment menu, but rather, noise adjustment is a section all of its own. Unfortunately, SPP allows only 5 discrete levels of luminance or chroma noise correction. they also have a separate 'noise banding' slider. Are there any merrill shooters here who understand why there is a banding adjustment and what it actually does? I know there are a bunch of people who just use SPP to convert to a tiff in adobeRGB and then go to PS from there. I guess I could use SPP to correct the exposure and get the dynamic range out of the raw and then go to PS for the finishing touches.

tnx.

stefan

Ligament

Re: Processing foveon images
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:39:02 pm »

The merrils have a significant vertical banding problem. If you are using a high quality monitor you will see the vertical banding usually in shadows or shadow to midtone transition areas at 100%. The earlier versions of SPP had no ability to correct this vertical banding. It was eventually put in as an option as you now see. I think it does a decent job. I have also used Nik and Topaz noise reduction plugins to reduce the vertical banding (they are somewhat hidden options that can be enabled in both of these plugins).

The vertical banding issue is quite bothersome to me. The images are otherwise so outstanding, seeing this issue is bothersome to me.

chichornio

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 04:51:20 pm »

Have you tried developing the X3f in the latest version of Iridient Developer? It now supports Sigma files, and it`s much better than SPP.

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »

How efficient is Iridient Developer, as compared to SPP? SPP is so slow compared with working on bayer files with Lightroom. I get a bit of "oh no" feeling when settling down to view a day's shots with DP2M, simply because it takes me forever to scrutinize each shot given the SPP program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up