Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Flickr interface...like it or hate it?  (Read 3498 times)

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
New Flickr interface...like it or hate it?
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:00:53 pm »

I was very impressed with the whole new look on Flickr. I just found out about it through another forum and when I went to my images I really liked the presentation. There was some other discussed browser problems with the new format but most folks with later browser versions found no issues. My MacBook Pro and Chrome had no trouble.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: New Flickr interface...like it or hate it?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:08:18 pm »

Not a lot :-/ I can't find any way of setting what I see as a first page. I just get recent work from contacts imposed on it. I'd have been more impressed with a degree of user customisation instead.

The infinity scrolling seems a nice until you need to click on one of the links at the bottom of the page and you can never get to it !

Nice to have 1tb available for nothing, but if the system doesn't seem so nice to use.....

B-Ark

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:36:26 pm »

Not impressed - its usable, but less than it used to be.

I find it enormously more bandwidth hungry - infinite scrolling just consumes the bandwidth. If you have an unlimited connection, then it may not matter much. For those of us on a modest monthly cap, its a big deal.

The terabyte limit is a bit of a joke. Taking into account the 300mb/month upload limit, it would take approximately 277 years to get up to a Tb. I'm eagerly awaiting those new anti-aging drugs  ;-)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:51:12 pm »

Dislike.
Sets used to be set out neatly, they are now a mash of pixels.
I liked seeing how many views in total I had, but this seems to be gone.

jwstl

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:03:34 pm »

The terabyte limit is a bit of a joke. Taking into account the 300mb/month upload limit, it would take approximately 277 years to get up to a Tb. I'm eagerly awaiting those new anti-aging drugs  ;-)

I'm not sure where you got the 300mb/month limit as there is no limit:

http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:11:24 pm »

Gave up on Flickr a few years ago.  A new coat of paint isn't going to get me to back.  The lipstick on a pig analogy comes to mind.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »

Like it.

I didn't choose to use Flickr, it was chosen by our web team for its easy integration with our web site. I was always kind of embarrassed to send out links to our photo galleries on, er, sorry, Flickr. The Flickr branding, the colors, the ugly white space look and feel. Ugh.

The new site looks much better in my personal opinion. I'm less unhappy to send links to galleries, like this one from our commencement ceremony.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

WalterEG

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:12 pm »

Sorry, but I cannot see the changes as a step forward.  Basically, I abhor it.

Cheers,

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:37 pm »

Looks like a me-too redesign. Very similar to 500px and ViewBug.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 04:41:50 pm »

Looks like a me-too redesign. Very similar to 500px and ViewBug.

That was my thought as well.  And now there's a banner at the top of 500px saying that 'if you have a ton of images on another site, you can import them here..."  Whatever!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 12:23:58 am »

Well I do like the new Flickr, except for the cover image that we are suposed to use, which has a totally insane proportion like 20:1. What i'm supossed to put there?

I also do like it, in particular it deals way better with panoramic format images, starting by the top banner indeed.

Works like a charm for me even if there are a few things I would like to see improved.

Cheers,
Bernard

RFPhotography

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 03:59:25 pm »

I also see that they've done away with the 'Pro' account.  Or at least they've done away with it for new members.  Apparently existing Pro members can continue on.

But what's most interesting is what Yahoo CEO said as the reason for dropping the Pro account.  She said "there's really no such thing as professional photographers anymore," what with so many people taking pictures now.

I wonder if Ms. Mayer owns a camera.  If she does, I wonder if she'll be raising her arm to embed with a military unit in Afghanistan to 'take pictures' for Reuters or AP.  Or whether she'll leave that to the 'professionals'.  Ms. Mayer is certainly guilty of some boneheadedness (witness her 'no working from home' stance) but this takes the cake. 

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:34:55 am »

I stopped uploading my images on to Flickr when I hit the 200 mark a year ago or so.

I went tried uploading a couple to my account recently, and really noticed how badly oversharpened they looked once they were up. Either my knowledge of sharpening has increased and matured, or their algorithm changed and they've cranked it up. Things look crunchier over there now.

WalterEG

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 04:51:54 pm »

Each time I go to the new Flickr my loathing of it intensifies.  And I find it runs slow and some images tend to flicker (no pun intended).  It has been totally stuffed and rendered useless in my estimation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up