Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider-Kreuznach LS AF 240 mm f/4.5 vs Rollei Schneider Apo-Tele-Xenar 300 mm  (Read 10231 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Yes, don't mean to imply that Mamiya can't make lenses.  Their lenses for the 7 series rangefinders are nothing short of excellent and my experience with the RZ has been very positive.  But I did have an Aptus 12 on a DF body with the phase/mamiya/schneider 80 LS and reg 120 until my AFi-ii 12 back was available and my impression was that the 80LS for the DF was a very good lens, but not the equal of the Schneider xenotar for Rollei.  Where the 80LS stood up was less axial chromatic aberration on the digital files which makes sense seeing how it was designed with digital in mind where the xenotar would have been made for film that has colors at different depths.   
Rolleiflex USA

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios

My experience with the 350 on my Hy6 confirms that it can't handle it. I am going to be in the market for a 300 plus the 1.4 converter very soon.
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios

Gigi

• some work

A shot with the 300 APO at f 16, shady, iso 200, 1/40.
Geoff

Gigi

• some work

ANother crop, lower left corner. Leaves and handrail in focus, bar code maybe too far forward.
Geoff

Sheldon N

Don't know if you saw this Kevin, but there's a 1.4 converter for sale on the forum here right now. Reputable seller too...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=77452.0
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios

Thank you Sheldon for that update. I will pm the seller about the 1.4. Now to find a 300... :)
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios

Graham Welland

I can't speak to the Rollei but my 240 LS is staggeringly sharp even wide open. I'll try to find some example files that cost me $5k ... they were good enough to bite the bullet and buy one!
Graham

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios

Thanks Graham. Right now, with my Hy6, that means a new lens, body and back, so if the 300 will work it makes sense. I would love to see how that 240 stacks up. I am sure the images are incredible.
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios

WIFoto

PM sent.
Paul

Christopher Arnoldi

• http://www.arnoldi-design.com

I have tested the Schneider-Kreuznach LS AF 240 mm f/4.5 1 month ago. The image quality is as good as it can be. Autofocus is slow but precise. Here is a Testshot at f4.5. The sharpness is very good up to f11.

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios

I just got a 300 MM F4 and the 1.4 Longar, and my Aptus II 12R is back from Israel. To those not familiar with this thread, I used a Hy6 with Mod2 upgrade. The day is hazy today but I hope you don't mind the test results are more important than artistic merit. :)

I did a rough exit pupil alignment on the pano rig, and shot 27 images. You can see the results of the full image, and a 100% crop unsharpened plus a 100% crop sharpened. The big image was not upsampled at all.

The depth of field extended back to about 300 yards, as I focused on the Tower of the Americas. This is the street in front of my studio and I wanted the construction signs in there to help with depth of field observations.

Mirror was locked up, I didn't use a shutter release, and the camera was attached to the pano rig, not the lens (which will be the case very soon). In the studio, I got significant camera shake from the mirror slap, so I had no choice but to lock it up.

These were shot at F8, which is significantly sharper than F11. F11 is still satisfactory, though and the DOF gains may well be worth the sharpness tradeoff.

Thanks to all who helped with this.
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up