Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium Format Aerial Photography by Nick Rains  (Read 2659 times)

david loble

Medium Format Aerial Photography by Nick Rains
« on: May 22, 2013, 05:21:01 pm »

Nick,
Aerial photography of the Australian landscape is very fitting considering the thousands of years that Aborigines have done the "same" thing without leaving terra firma. On a wall downstairs I have a Rover Thomas print "Durba Gorge" which, to my mind, perfectly illustrates an aerial view.
Side note: From the USA I have visited Australia 10 times in the last 12 years and started collecting art back when the AU$ wasn't nearly as strong as it is now.

I bring up Aboriginal art because while admiring the artistry of these photos and reading about Southwest Light and NDFive I saw nothing of any possible connection that any of the photographers may have thought or felt about what came before. There is no mention of this at Richard Wolendorp's website either. Unless I missed it, which is very possible.

So my question is: "There you all were with digital cameras, tripods, backpacks, AWD vehicles, aircraft and whatever else, was there any discussion between you of what went before?"
David

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Medium Format Aerial Photography by Nick Rains
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:01:26 pm »

... what went before?"

What did go before?

david loble

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:30:37 pm »

Aboriginal landscape art that appears to be from the air and could not have been.

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:57:13 am »

That's a new one for me. Had to do a bit of Googling to find out what you are referring to.

To answer your question, No, this did not come up in discussions as none of us are particularly well versed in Aboriginal painting (with the possible exception of Dr Les Walkling who is very well versed in just about everything connected with the art world).

Do we need a connection to another art form, whether contemporary or preceding?
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

david loble

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:13:45 am »

No, I don't think we need a connection, but I do think there is one. Albeit tenuous. I was simply struck by the similarities between some Aboriginal art and your art.
Thanks for replying.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:34 am »

That's a new one for me. Had to do a bit of Googling to find out what you are referring to.

To answer your question, No, this did not come up in discussions as none of us are particularly well versed in Aboriginal painting (with the possible exception of Dr Les Walkling who is very well versed in just about everything connected with the art world).

Do we need a connection to another art form, whether contemporary or preceding?

Nick, can we avoid one?

Rob C

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:34:18 pm »

Nick, just wanted to say thanks for the interesting article. Since two months I'm the happy owner of an S2 with the 70 mm. I too find the camera, lens and the files the combo produces, outstanding.

Good luck with your project. Do you guys have a website where you publish examples of the work in progress?

Nick Rains

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:55:52 pm »

Nick, can we avoid one?

Rob C

Probably not, I'm sure connections can be found between all creative endeavours if you look hard enough - isn't that what art history gurus do?
Nick Rains

Nick Rains

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 05:58:34 pm »

Good luck with your project. Do you guys have a website where you publish examples of the work in progress?

You can see some stuff here:

http://nd5.com.au
Nick Rains

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:55:07 pm »

Aboriginal landscape art that appears to be from the air and could not have been.

Right! I am always interested in the technical aspects. For instance, at what height you need to fly to see those art forms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up