Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contrails  (Read 5010 times)

Larry Heath

Re: Contrails
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 12:20:30 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, Larry. I'll look into this.

The roof was pretty blue, and spring in Saskatchewan is more bracing than warm (it was -8 C one night), so a cool tone seemed appropriate.

Ah yes, you most assuredly hit it dead on in that case. Exactly how I would think of the first light on a cool frosty morning.

With my “rose” colored glasses on down here in Florida I tend to forget that there are places where “bracing” is quite normal. It surely is a gorgeous shot any way you would wish to present it.

I can see a warmer interpretation as the last dregs of the day’s warmth being blown away by the oncoming cold of an evening sky; almost as if a wave of cold air is about to crash down over the scene.

Later Larry

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:25 pm »

I think this photo essay about the exterior and interior of a building from today's New York Times is worthwile to look at vis a vis the "need" to correct out of parallel verticals when images contain elements of architecture. The photographs are by Suzanne deChillo who is a Pulitzer prize winner...so she's not a novice shall we say...and a photographer for the NYT...so double that. (you can also purchase some of her images through the NYT - which have examples architecture with and without parallel verticals)

The slideshow has an array of photos with either verticals converging upward and downward...and one not level so much (and barrel distortion too).  The images where there are nearly parallel verticals are where there is an artifact that needs to have attention drawn to it...such as the painting by Stella, mural, or table - parallelism helps this - again by creating stasis.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/05/31/arts/design/20130531-JUDD.html
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

MTGFender

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 11:32:34 am »

Scott..Wow! So awesome. Congrats!
The composition is amazing.
Pramote

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 01:28:58 pm »

The images where there are nearly parallel verticals are where there is an artifact that needs to have attention drawn to it...such as the painting by Stella, mural, or table - parallelism helps this - again by creating stasis.

Good insight, Brandt. Thanks for the link -- inspiring images.

Larry -- this was evening and could be a little warmer in hue.

Thanks, Pramote! Printed this at A3 last night -- I can see the knots in the boards, very satisfying.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up