Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica X2, Nikon COOLPIX A, or shut up and carry the Leica M's  (Read 9492 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography

for vacation shots of just passing interest with no real photographic significance, does anyone have any thoughts on the Coolpix A or X2, it seems they can adequately fit into a sports coat pocket, or shorts pocket with no major level of discomfort.....obviously for good light they are fine, and for moderately dark conditions I'm not too concerned because I'll just dial back the ev and get myself something hand holdable.... but what are everyones thoughts on whether these cameras have enough image quality to be usable for anything if something interesting happens to wander into my FOV? and which would you choose, or would you just shut up and carry Leica M or M's?
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

David Watson

• David Watson
Re: Leica X2, Nikon COOLPIX A, or shut up and carry the Leica M's
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:01:06 am »

I have not owned the Coolpix but I briefly owned the X2 - nice camera but I would choose neither of these.  I also have an M9 which is my go anywhere in the car camera of choice but it is not a camera to put in one's pocket. My present "jacket pocket" camera is the Sony RX100.  Very very good image quality for such a small camera.
David Watson ARPS

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:04:08 am »

For your purposes, I strongly recommend the Canon EOS M plus the 22mm pancake lens. Wonderful as a travel and documentary camera, small, and very high image quality. It can be bought today a t a much lower price than 6 months ago, making it a very nice deal.

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:42:13 am »

Fuji X100.  Its a real camera. 

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:24 am »

Fuji X100.  Its a real camera. 

but its not pocketable. Thats the same problem that drove me from the x20

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 10:15:13 am »

Ive considered the RX100 but shied away from it for being "too small" to not offer me enough serious controls.

I will look into the EOS M

TMARK

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:12 am »

but its not pocketable. Thats the same problem that drove me from the x20

Bigger pockets? :)  I could fit an X100 in a pocket.  Its not comfy, but doable. 

The EOS M is actually pretty cool.  AF is not great, which is why they are so cheap now.  It is teh size of a bar of soap.

That being said, I sucked it up and carry the M9 in a purse, I mean, bag. 

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 10:43:53 am »

That being said, I sucked it up and carry the M9 in a purse, I mean, bag. 

Lol, those small bags like the Billingham Hadley / small Leica type bags are pretty much glorified purses because of what they are carring....

I'll check out the EOS M, if its that small it could be attractive, and I'll try and get some flight time with an rx100

theguywitha645d

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:01:15 pm »

The take anywhere camera seems like a great idea, but what I have found is that I seldom take any photographs worth keeping. Whether that is because I just can't get serious enough to do good work, or the camera just is not a great tool, I do not know. What I find is if I take cameras I like, I will do good work. I just learn to carry the camera so it is comfortable and convenient. I have found the size of the camera is not really the impediment, but whether it is easily accessible. If the M is your thing, then carry that. It really is not big--isn't that the M's benefit, not a big DSLR? If you want a pocket camera, use an iPhone.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 12:46:09 pm »

The take anywhere camera seems like a great idea, but what I have found is that I seldom take any photographs worth keeping. Whether that is because I just can't get serious enough to do good work, or the camera just is not a great tool, I do not know. What I find is if I take cameras I like, I will do good work. I just learn to carry the camera so it is comfortable and convenient. I have found the size of the camera is not really the impediment, but whether it is easily accessible. If the M is your thing, then carry that. It really is not big--isn't that the M's benefit, not a big DSLR? If you want a pocket camera, use an iPhone.

+ 100%.

However, I always live to regret having used it instead of a real camera, which the older I get, the more convinced I am isn't a digital machine at all.

Were it still possible on this island, I would now revert to my F3 (plus the late Kodachrome 64, by choice) and transparency film. Period. Even for black/whites.

A 500 Series 'blad would be even better, of course.

Rob C

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:06:16 pm »

+ 100%.

However, I always live to regret having used it instead of a real camera, which the older I get, the more convinced I am isn't a digital machine at all.

Were it still possible on this island, I would now revert to my F3 (plus the late Kodachrome 64, by choice) and transparency film. Period. Even for black/whites.

A 500 Series 'blad would be even better, of course.

Rob C

Rob,

MF chrome development was always an issue for civilians - if you really feel that way you could buy a CFV back for the hassy or just buy a few boxes of Fujichrome and send them in to be developed in batches. I used Fujichrome 1600 habitually with my Hassy and an 80mm as a tourist. Incident light meter, never any issues, a roll or two a day, and never any battery problems.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

TMARK

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 02:32:13 pm »

There is certainly truth in your statement.  My main requirement is an optical VF, which is why the x100 is so great.  Its not that much smaller than an M9, hiowever.  I find I like the iPhone for happy snaps.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 03:59:01 pm »

Rob,

MF chrome development was always an issue for civilians - if you really feel that way you could buy a CFV back for the hassy or just buy a few boxes of Fujichrome and send them in to be developed in batches. I used Fujichrome 1600 habitually with my Hassy and an 80mm as a tourist. Incident light meter, never any issues, a roll or two a day, and never any battery problems.

Edmund

Edmund,

The Nikon F3 I still have, the 'blads are long gone. I do have an unopened pack of Velvia 120 in the freezer... Still have two Westons with Invercones, and also a Minolta Flashmeter 111 which was very accurate.

The wholesaler I used to use here was closed down; nowhere I can buy film other than as one of your 'civilians' via ordering at a photo-shop at retail prices; processing E6 means sending it all to Barcelona. If I make it back to Britain to live I shall probably get a 'blad again.

Rob C

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 05:28:29 am »

Edmund,

The Nikon F3 I still have, the 'blads are long gone. I do have an unopened pack of Velvia 120 in the freezer... Still have two Westons with Invercones, and also a Minolta Flashmeter 111 which was very accurate.

The wholesaler I used to use here was closed down; nowhere I can buy film other than as one of your 'civilians' via ordering at a photo-shop at retail prices; processing E6 means sending it all to Barcelona. If I make it back to Britain to live I shall probably get a 'blad again.

Rob C

Rob,
 Making it back to Britain to live?
 At this point I'm not sure the NHS is better than spanish medicine, and as for the climate I don't think that's very good for you either, unless you enjoy joint pains.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15:23 am »

There seems to be very little reason to buy a coolpix A over the new Ricoh GR.

The Ricoh is cheaper and has a better lens, plus you'll contribute to funding the development of the 645D II which cannot be a bad thing. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

tsjanik

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 10:24:42 am »

There seems to be very little reason to buy a coolpix A over the new Ricoh GR.

......... plus you'll contribute to funding the development of the 645D II which cannot be a bad thing. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

+1

artobest

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 08:50:45 am »

I'd buy the Ricoh. Much cooler camera.

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:33 am »

Rob,
 Making it back to Britain to live?
 At this point I'm not sure the NHS is better than spanish medicine, and as for the climate I don't think that's very good for you either, unless you enjoy joint pains.

Edmund

Response via Messages.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up