Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenses for Furniture Photography  (Read 21666 times)

JoeKitchen

Lenses for Furniture Photography
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:17:17 pm »

I would like to start creating a portfolio of furniture.  What focal length range is most effective? 

I would be shooting with a tech camera. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Lenses for Furniture Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »

The best lens to start your furniture photography is the lens you already own. Use it and push it to its limits and learn how to use it. If after several weeks you need to try a different focal length, borrow or rent that lens and do the same.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:53:41 pm »

The best lens to start your furniture photography is the lens you already own. Use it and push it to its limits and learn how to use it. If after several weeks you need to try a different focal length, borrow or rent that lens and do the same.

Dont worry, I am not just going to go out tomorrow and buy a lens for the sake of it.  I do have a 35 and 55 and was wondering that the most common focal length would be for this type of work. 

The 55 I think would be a great start, however, I still think it may be too wide for a good amount of images.  The 35, although great for architecture, is totally unusable for furniture.  Just too wide. 

FredBGG

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:28:37 pm »

Joe

I shared a studio years ago in Milan with a furniture photographer...

He was very successful with Milan designers...

His trick was to start with test of sorts shooting most pieces with a zoom and deciding with the client what perspectives he likes the best.

It's quite amazing how one perspective can flatter a piece while another makes it look wonky.

Generally mid range was what he would use, but had upto 480mm for his 4x5 camera.

For editorial single items his go to was a Fuji gx680 with the 100 to 200mm zoom for final shots too. Keep in mind that was 6x8 for him.

You could get a Fuji with a few long lenses as a side kick to your tech camera. The longer lenses are the ones with the best quality.
You could get quite a range for not much at all with some tilt shift.

I know a few people with tech cameras that have added the Fuji as their long lens sidekick
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:32:00 pm by FredBGG »

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 07:43:06 pm »

I know a few people with tech cameras that have added the Fuji as their long lens sidekick

Why would a photographer do this?  If I'm shooting fabrics or furniture for a high-end catalogue in which the client is expecting the color to be matching from wide to detail shot  it would be kinda strange to do this...

One of the main reasons a professional photographer is hired is due to the ability to produce consistent quality images on deadline.

The digital files from the Tech camera + Digital back + HR or Schneider glass delivered directly to the client vs a digital scan from film + fuji (film) camera + Fuji glass + lab processing + hi-res scanner.....

Would any pro risk losing a client by betting that whomever will be doing the film scan can will be able to match the digital file from the Tech camera.  Not to even mention the disruption in the workflow.

sounds like a headache to me.....

regards,
Jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:24 pm »

Why would a photographer do this?  If I'm shooting fabrics or furniture for a high-end catalogue in which the client is expecting the color to be matching from wide to detail shot  it would be kinda strange to do this...

One of the main reasons a professional photographer is hired is due to the ability to produce consistent quality images on deadline.

The digital files from the Tech camera + Digital back + HR or Schneider glass delivered directly to the client vs a digital scan from film + fuji (film) camera + Fuji glass + lab processing + hi-res scanner.....

Would any pro risk losing a client by betting that whomever will be doing the film scan can will be able to match the digital file from the Tech camera.  Not to even mention the disruption in the workflow.

sounds like a headache to me.....

regards,
Jeffery

You completely misunderstood my posting.

I'm not suggesting Joe shoot furniture on film. All I am suggesting is that the Fuji is a good and economical option to add a few long or longer lenses AS A SIDE KICK to a very nice tech camera and digital back.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »

On an MFDB... 90, 135 & occasionally 180 are pretty typical for me. I like long lenses on furniture.  They just make the forms sit down nicely.  Wide angles can do cool things for architecture but the same is almost never true with furniture.

I believe this was with the 135...

More Furniture pics I feel decent about, all 90mm or longer.

Herman Miller Small Office
Cumberland at U of C

CB

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:48:38 pm »

Fred, you really like your Fuji's.   :D

Thanks for the feedback.  I kind of thought that the mid ranges lens would be better choices.  And actually the idea of getting a SLR body may be a good idea since the longer lenses show less keystoning than the wides.  Also, the long lenses are not going to be retro focal design since ... they are ... long.  

Optimally though (and not saying that is this case you ideas are bad Fred, I just like tech cameras) I would like to get an Arca Swiss M Line 2 with any lenses longer than 90mm mounted in the M mount.  I would keep this just for studio use though.  

Right now I am not shooting furniture for anyone but myself, so shooting with a 55 and cropping works.  Eventually I would like a 90mm for the RM3Di and an M2 with a 135mm.  

On a happier note, I just figured out the secret ingredient for my local Mexican place's guacamole, tomatillos!  Yes  :D, half a tomatillos for every one avocado.  

Chris Barrett

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:29 pm »

I have the 35 - 70 mounted for the Rm3d and the 90 - 180 mounted for the M Line 2.  In the end it's really all about distance from the subject (perspective) more than focal length.  If you don't need a lot of resolution for your portfolio, just back way the hell up with the 55 and crop in 50 - 75%.

I like the long lenses on the M Line 2 because I often use a lot more shift with long lenses and the view camera has much more than the tech.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:57 pm »

On an MFDB... 90, 135 & occasionally 180 are pretty typical for me. I like long lenses on furniture.  They just make the forms sit down nicely.  Wide angles can do cool things for architecture but the same is almost never true with furniture.

I believe this was with the 135...

More Furniture pics I feel decent about, all 90mm or longer.

Herman Miller Small Office
Cumberland at U of C

CB

Thanks Chris, you work always grabs me and I aspire to your furniture images.  90mm or longer is the route I think would be best, just no capital to invest right now, which is why I will be shooting for myself mostly.  I just hate how wides through planes near the camera at odd angles.  

JoeKitchen

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:06:07 pm »

Funny, I'm writing "I would to keep the M2 for studio use" and thinking "how lazy have I become?" 

I use to hike 10 or 15 miles with a 4x5 rail camera strapped to my back with a dozen or so film holders, extra box of film, changing tent, filters, couple of lens, etc.  And lets forget the cargo pants/shorts with a litany of things in the pockets. 

Hey, but I guess my back will keep till I'm 45 instead of 40.   ;D

FredBGG

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 09:21:48 pm »

Thanks Chris, you work always grabs me and I aspire to your furniture images.  90mm or longer is the route I think would be best, just no capital to invest right now, which is why I will be shooting for myself mostly.  I just hate how wides through planes near the camera at odd angles.  

As Chris said if the shots are for your portfolio (especially if online) you can use what you have and just crop to get the perspective you need.

I wonder if it would be possible to take a Fuji gx680 lens apart and replace the shutter with a compure or something.

I remember seeing one opened up for service and the lens elements are assembled into two sections very much like a large format lens.

I know a company in Japan made a shutter controller for Fuji lenses as well as adding a PC sync socket to the lenses.

rhsu

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:47 pm »

In brief:  I use HR70 and the old series 90mm.  I use HR40 for interior furniture shoot.   Cannot afford the new HR90.  If you can afford it, it's worth the money. ;)

GWStudioLA

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:54 am »

Mamiya 65 is the best lens in the world

Kaypee

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 12:38:24 am »

Chris, amazing photograph. if you were shooting this on a DSLR what lens would you use?
(my first post as a aspiring interior/ arch photographer)

Ken R

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

I would like to start creating a portfolio of furniture.  What focal length range is most effective?  

I would be shooting with a tech camera.  

Are you planning to shoot digital or with film? which size format?

Furniture photography has two main types: product shots and in context (architecture/space)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:35:01 am by Ken R »

Chris Barrett

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 11:23:00 am »

Chris, amazing photograph. if you were shooting this on a DSLR what lens would you use?
(my first post as a aspiring interior/ arch photographer)

Thanks... on a DSLR I would have done the above shot with a 90mm T/S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up