Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC  (Read 9628 times)

Andy800

• Andy Astbury's Photography Blog
Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC
« on: May 18, 2013, 06:03:15 am »

I use Photoshop CS6 via single app monthly subscription and I bought Lightroom 4 outright, and this gives me a fully integrated PS/ACR/LR workflow.

I've also been using the LR5 Beta since it was first available and will be upgrading to the full version as soon as its available.

However, I seem to have been asleep or something because I've suddenly had PS CC sprung on me this morning and it's got me confused.

I gather that if I want to maintain my "fully integrated" LR/ACR/PS workflow under Lightroom 5 then I'll need to switch from CS6 to CC - I take it this will be the only way I can have identical controls in ACR 8 and LR5 ?

Have I got this right?

If so, can I switch my monthly CS6 subscription to a monthly CC subscription, or is it not quite that simple?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

stamper

Re: Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 06:33:07 am »

Do a search for this subject on the forum. There must be approaching a dozen threads and you possibly won't get many answers to your post because a lot of the members are over/underwhelmed by the subject because it has now been hammered to death.

Andy800

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:01:09 am »

Do a search for this subject on the forum. There must be approaching a dozen threads and you possibly won't get many answers to your post because a lot of the members are over/underwhelmed by the subject because it has now been hammered to death.

3 questions - simple yes or no to each would have sufficed - 6 words in all - and far less effort.

Thanks for being so damned helpful..............

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:50:43 am »

From what I've read on Adobe's site, ACR will go to version 8 for both the Cc and Cs versions. It should be a parity with LR on all three. BUT, for CS6, it will not have the new features of the other two--gradient blur (I think that's what it's called) and the new healing brush feature. But it will open the newer flavors of raw files and continue to be upgraded in this direction for cs6 only.

If your suite w/o LR 5 works for you and you don't need the newer tolls, it may be a good idea to either upgrade to cc or simply buy the perpetual license to cs6 while you still can and keep your status quo.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Andy800

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:32:30 pm »

The way I understand it is that ACR 8 will ship to CS6 users without some of the tools available in Lightroom 5; people who switch to CC will have full tool compatibility with LR5 -something you really could do with when using the likes of CameraRaw Smart Objects etc.

I've now had words with Adobe myself - isn't Live Chat fun >:( - and have now been assured that an existing monthly single app subscription to CS6 will seamlessly change to a monthly single app subscription to CC when it launches.

Though they would not totally refute the possibility of one-off extra charges for their kindness and consideration - so here's hoping.

As someone on a monthly single app subscription it all seems financially acceptable to me, but I can understand anyone whose paid £600+ for a perpetual licence being somewhat "miffed" to say the least.

I can also understand Adobes move to subscription-only "rented licences" - how much money were they losing to pirated software; millions and millions I'd suspect; so going "subscription only" and dropping the price is understandable.

But it seems to me that perpetual licence holders are being put in a position where they are going to have to write-off a considerable amount of money just to keep fully updated, which isn't really fair at all because they have been Adobes main income while vast rafts of people have been downloading illegal copies of Adobe products.

I'm just glad I jumped on the subscription band wagon when I did.

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »

It will be interesting to see how long you remain satisfied with the subscription. And what your reaction may be if you decide to cancel it.

Stan

Andy800

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 05:20:09 pm »

It will be interesting to see how long you remain satisfied with the subscription. And what your reaction may be if you decide to cancel it.

Stan

Hi Stan

At the moment it only costs me £17.58 per month; that's supposed to be the set monthly "rental" until my renewal date in December. I class myself as a heavy Photoshop user due to my teaching activities; and, nearly all of my personal images see at least one layer and a blend mode even though they all get worked up in Lightroom.

So for me it represents exceptionally good value for money at £211 per anum - at that price it would take 3.5 years to match the "hard copy" perpetual licence price of CS6 non extended here in the UK.

At the end of the day each individual user is the only person who knows how much Photoshop is worth to him or her per anum; what seems cheap to me might be too expensive for someone else.

But then again, prior to the subscription method it was too expensive for an awful lot more people - and what did they do about it ? They resorted to illegal copies.

So as I said before, I can't see that Adobe had any other option than to go "subscription only" - but me and every subscription holder is putting an awful lot of trust in Adobe not to screw us over by making us pay for effectively a new version issue every year - so Stan, point taken sir..

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 04:16:30 am »

what did they do about it ? They resorted to illegal copies.
That's a rather unpleasant slur on the millions of people that use other cheaper legal products.

Andy800

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 04:39:40 am »

That's a rather unpleasant slur on the millions of people that use other cheaper legal products.

Purely unintentional I can assure you.  But if someone wanted to use the very latest version of CS or CSEx - and they were not a genuine student or teacher, then what other option did they have?

Over the years I'd say that for every one legal install of Photoshop I've seen 10 cracks, and of all the installs I've seen of S&T 75% of those were activated on some nephew, nieces or grand kids student card.

But if you think I'm slurring people then that's your prerogative, t'is a free country afterall........

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 05:06:46 am »

Over the years I'd say that for every one legal install of Photoshop I've seen 10 cracks, and of all the installs I've seen of S&T 75% of those were activated on some nephew, nieces or grand kids student card.

Hi Andy,

How many of those do you think would have bought Photoshop if there would not have been an illegal version available?

The vast majority of pirated copies would not constitute a lost sale. Lost sales is a phony argument. The CC as implemented by Adobe, is only aiming at locking in their paying customers, and allow price increases that seem modest on a monthly basis (but they do add up over the years).

Sure, there are some other benefits for Adobe, and some large customers, as well.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Andy800

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 09:33:48 am »

Hi Andy,

How many of those do you think would have bought Photoshop if there would not have been an illegal version available?

The vast majority of pirated copies would not constitute a lost sale. Lost sales is a phony argument. The CC as implemented by Adobe, is only aiming at locking in their paying customers, and allow price increases that seem modest on a monthly basis (but they do add up over the years).

Sure, there are some other benefits for Adobe, and some large customers, as well.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart, the biggest majority to be honest - I've seen a lot of people over the years all with a heck of a lot more money in the bank than yours truly and they were either running cracks or dodgy S&T.

In the last 3 or 4 years I've done a lot of home visits to teach folk on their own system, and one of the first things I do is go and check their "hosts" file - cracks are easy to spot when you do that.

Funnily enough though, those running dodgy S&T were always happy to tell me!

Anyway, I started this thread because I needed a couple of answers, and now I've got them so happy days.

I just hope Adobe don't start taking the p**s with the subscription rates.

Cheers Bart  :) :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up