Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3200 - Rolls Not Feeding Straight  (Read 1199 times)

William Chitham

z3200 - Rolls Not Feeding Straight
« on: May 17, 2013, 05:40:38 am »

I'm currently printing a job on 44" rolls of Hahne Photo Rag 308 and I really want to use the full width of the roll  with the image centred accurately but my printer doesn't seem to be able to consistently feed the paper straight. In the space of 800mm or so the paper can drift sideways 4 or 5mm, enough to spoil the print. I can't find any reference to this issue in the user or service manuals so I don't think it can be "adjusted out" The only possible causes I can think of are that I'm not succeeding in loading the paper perfectly straight in the first place or that the rollers are not gripping the paper tightly enough. Any other ideas or insights would be gratefully received.
William Chitham.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: z3200 - Rolls Not Feeding Straight
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:51:40 am »

Sometimes this happens. If the initial leading edge cut is not at 90 degr the paper may drift, there is a tolerance on the loading measurements. One way to check is with the paper move choice on the printer panel, rolling the paper 3 feet forward and back twice and check the blue line against the paper right edge. Sometimes it heals the issue, sometimes you see already that it will go wrong in printing. The loading system goes a similar route too if there is an issue with loading. It asks to raise the paper clamps handle and then pulls the paper straight on friction with the transport axle, I usually put a finger in the middle of the roll then as well. Yesterday I had the paper drift with a 24" Museum Etching roll that I had rolled backwards to get the curl at the leading edge flattened, the head smudged that part before I did that. Now the paper drifted to the left but no smudge. So I cut the leading edge at 90 degr at the board cutter, made sure the roll was evenly rolled and used the custom (1.5mm thick, 14.5 cm diameter) polycarbonate disc for the left side adapter of the spindle that I made for cases like that. I just adds that slight guiding to a roll that needs it, usually the rolls that have a wider diameter than the spindle adapter has. I should make more for the 4 spindles I have.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:23:38 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 10:21:34 am »

Similar concept, mine is more rigid.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

William Chitham

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »

Thanks Ernst, I tried reloading and running the paper back and forth as you describe and I think it is the solution for me. I've printed about 5 metres off since without a problem.

Yes, that happens with fine art matt papers. Sometimes because of the way rolls are wound onto the core. Have a look at the attached JPEG to see my makeshift edge straightener... Hope that helps.

Thanks for the photo, is the idea to increase the effective diameter of the flange?
Pages: [1]   Go Up