Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another related Question re: Panasonic's Tele Ex feature  (Read 1779 times)

Raymond Bleesz

Another related Question re: Panasonic's Tele Ex feature
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:21:42 pm »

I thank those who posted responses to my question re: tele ext for the Panasonic 100-300 lens---but can I  ask for more help in this somewhat related area?

In the GH2 manual, there is mention of a tele ext feature--to use with the 100-300 lens for example--the manual is not clear on this matter in my opinion, and others have mentioned likewise.

Would someone outline the steps. ABC, 1234 etc on how to set up the GH2 in order to take images using this feature, the various menue's on the camera itself--I am not sure of my understanding the manual.

Raymond

OldRoy

• http://
Re: Another related Question re: Panasonic's Tele Ex feature
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:05:35 am »

I don't own this camera. However I do have an OMD and the same Panasonic lens. I assume you're referring to the "digital zoom" function, where only part of the sensor is used, giving an effectively lower resolution cropped image. This is pretty pointless IMHO, as you can easily crop in post, with the same effect.

Getting decent images at the long end of the 100-300, hand-held, is difficult enough without adding - were it available - a teleconverter, which would necessitate even slower apertures and higher ISO settings.

Roy

David S

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:35:08 am »

There is another way of approaching this. If you shoot RAW + JPEG, you get a magnified jpeg and a normal RAW. I have used this with the OMD a few times and it seems to work. Not perfect but lets me see what I can get in the moment rather than have to wait to get home and use the computer to crop and enlarge. Also it uses the center of the sensor so edge weakness is gone.

Dave S

Raymond Bleesz

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:42:42 am »

Gentlemen--thank you for your responses---both very different yet options.

Old Roy--basically your suggestion is "forgetting about it" and or just crop the original image--that concept works.

David--your suggestion of shooting both raw & jpeg is interesting because of your comment re: being able to view the effect prior to PS.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:07:39 pm »

Raymond:

What you are referring to is the GH2's ability to make images using only the center pixels in the full frame. The camera can do this for both still and videos, though I suspect it is most useful in videos. With videos the image is not degraded because in normal mode it only uses a subset of all the available pixels, though they are distributed across the full frame. With stills, you are degrading the image from a RAW or L frame, but for lower resolutions the quality remains equal.

This feature would be useful if you shoot small JPEG images and don't process them later on. For anyone shooting full size JPEG or RAW images, it would be better to use the normal setting and crop later.

It's all laid out on page 67 of the User's Guide.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

BJL

Panasonic's Tele Ex/ Olympus digital TC, etc., JPEG+raw
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:32:31 am »

At first I was completely cynical about these features, in which the screen/VF displays a crop of the full scene and the JPEG output records just that crop (while the RAW file is still complete but with the crop indicated in metadata AFAIK). But now I see some use for it, because it is sometimes easier to compose with the intended crop filling the whole VF rather than being just a small central part of it. And as others have said, with raw recorded too, as a backup.

One suggestion though: with Olympus cameras, this mode converts the crop to the chosen JPEG output pixel count, and it seems silly to take something like the 2304x1728 pixels in a 2x crop from a 4608 x 3456 sensor [using my E-M5 for these example numbers] and quadruple the output pixel count to give a 4608 x 3456 "large" JPEG. So when using the digital tele convertor, I have the JPEG output pixel dimensions set to a level closer to the actual pixel count of the crop: 2560x1920 "medium" JPEG for the example of the E-M5.

David S

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:16 pm »

Very good point and thank you for the idea.

"One suggestion though: with Olympus cameras, this mode converts the crop to the chosen JPEG output pixel count, and it seems silly to take something like the 2304x1728 pixels in a 2x crop from a 4608 x 3456 sensor [using my E-M5 for these example numbers] and quadruple the output pixel count to give a 4608 x 3456 "large" JPEG. So when using the digital tele convertor, I have the JPEG output pixel dimensions set to a level closer to the actual pixel count of the crop: 2560x1920 "medium" JPEG for the example of the E-M5."

Dave S

Pages: [1]   Go Up