Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens profile confusion?  (Read 3013 times)

Redcrown

Lens profile confusion?
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:33:33 pm »

Trying the "Adaptive Wide Angle" filter in CS6 (Win7) for the first time, and encountered confusion over lens profiles. Hope someone can enlighten me.

I see 3 places where lens profiles are used. One is in ACR, one is in Photoshop's "Lens Correction" filter, and one is in Photoshop's "Adaptive Wide Angle" filter.

On images from a Canon 5D2 with the 24-105 lens, all three of these find a lens profile. Using the same lens on a Canon 5D3, ACR finds a lens profile but the two Photoshop filters do not. The Lens Correction filter has a "search online" option, but when I use it on the Canon 5D3 image it reports no profiles found.

I found this page at Adobe: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html
which lists the 24-105 lens as supported, but makes no mention of camera bodies. That page also says that there are "separate profiles for raw and non-raw files".

I also found, installed, updated, and ran the "Adobe Lens Profile Downloader". It finds no profile for the 5D3/24-105 combo. In fact, it lists only 2 profiles for the 5D3, one for the 40mm and one for the 24-70mm.

So, my confusion. Why do I have a profile only in ACR for the 5D3/24-105 and where did it come from? Why can't I find other profiles for the 5D3? Seem strange that the 5D3/24-105 combo appears non existent, since that is such a popular combo that has been out for over a year. What am i missing? Am I looking in the wrong place?

madmanchan

• Web
Re: Lens profile confusion?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:01:49 pm »

You don't have a profile specifically for the 5D3 / 24-105 combo (or if you do, it wasn't provided by Adobe).  What is happening is just that ACR is finding a 24-105 profile available on your system (we include one during installation) and is applying that when you load any raw file taken with that 24-105 lens.

I am not sure why Ps isn't finding the lens profile, but you should be able to specify one manually from the list of profiles.  That said, if you are applying the profile inside of ACR, you don't need to apply the profile again inside of Ps ...
Eric Chan

wlphoto

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:40 am »

I have the same issue, and found this thread on adobe: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5403493

Apparently it's a known issue with Adobe; strange that it's not fixed.

Redcrown

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:07:30 am »

It seems clear that Adobe is not giving any attention the the Adaptive Wide Angle filter and lens profiles. That's a shame, since it would be a very powerfull and useful tool if it worked as it apparently was designed to work.

Forget lens profiles, don't really need them. All they do is automatically "curve" a line when your draw it so that line can be made straight. Even when you do have a valid profile, this auto curving of lines rarely matches actual image content.

When you draw a line it has a center point that you can drag to curve it by hand, but that feature is broke. If you drag that center point even a small amount you get a "Failed to calibrate" error. If that bug was fixed, all would good. The actual warping technology is very good. Much better and easier to use that free transform warp or puppet warp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up