Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 Sheet Feed  (Read 3276 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Epson 9900 Sheet Feed
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:52:15 pm »

I'm printing an 8x10 on 8.5x11 Hot Press Natural. I have a custom page size of 8.5x11 (horizontal) with no margins. In LR Print, the image is centred on the page.  But when I print, it's pushed to the leading side (left, in this case) by 1/4".  How come?
Mike Guilbault

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Epson 9900 Sheet Feed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:09:25 pm »

Mike:

Do you have margin less checked in the driver dialog box (after you are done and LR and the Epson driver comes up).  If you don't even if the print size is marginless, the printer give you one.  Not sure why it would be pushed to the left.

Also what does the print preview show?  I have never had a problem if it looks OK on the print preview.

If you have marginless checked, I would go back to LR print Module and make sure you don't have LR adding in a margin.  It will do that sometimes. 

The print will always have a 1/2 inch space at the bottom but that is due the way sheet feed works on Epson roll printers. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:27:12 pm »

I think some of the newer Epsons will do borderless with sheets at certain sizes only on certain papers but it isn't wonderful.  Most Epsons don't do borderless sheets at all.  Epson's default margins give a much larger margin to either the leading on trailing edge of the paper as it's fed into the printer.  I never can remember which.  If you give the printer a page setup it can't understand, and borderless letter size sheet is likely such a thing, then it goes back to its default page setup where the printable area is not centered on the paper.  That sounds like what you're getting.  Change your custom page to have equal margins of .57" or greater on both the leading and trailing edge.  The sides can be about .25" or greater.  Whatever you print should be centered on the paper now.

Note... you can't fit an 8x10 centered on letter size paper.  You can center a smaller image or have the 8x10 off center.  Take your pick :-)

(There is a page setup option for an expanded print area that would allow an 8x10 centered... but like borderless... only works on certain papers at certain sizes and the print quality in the expanded area sometimes isn't great.)

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:47:20 pm »

I'll check that tomorrow Paul.. thanks.

I'm not printing borderless and have Sheet selected.  I'm using a custom size, 8.5x11 with no margins - rather than the 'canned' 8.5x11 Letter size.  It's worked fine before, but I'm obviously missing something.  I think you're on the right track Bob.  I'll check those tomorrow as well.
Mike Guilbault

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:13 am »

Even if the print is setup in LR full bleed borderless, unless you choose marginless in the Epson driver dialog the driver will put a margin on the print.  Still not sure why yours is off to one side unless the paper is not feeding in evenly.  I don't do a lot of marginless work, but it never fails when I make the first one from LR, I will forget to check the box in the driver.

You should be able to print marginless on a sheet width wise, but as already mentioned, due to the way Epson handles sheets, you will always have a 1/2 inch border at the top of the print.  (running length). 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:10:29 pm »

I'm not printing borderless and have Sheet selected.  I'm using a custom size, 8.5x11 with no margins

Well... that is borderless as far as the printer is concerned... even if your actual image area doesn't cover the full page.  Your page setup tells the printer make a page where I can print edge to edge on all four sides (no margins) to a letter size sheet of paper.  A 9900 can't do that (I just looked at one) and doesn't understand that page definition so it goes back to its defaults which is what I described earlier. 

There has to be margins on a letter size sheet of paper.  The largest minimum of the default margins is .56" on the trailing edge.  You can't make that any smaller.  Therefore, keep that one at that setting and increase the leading edge margin to the same .56"... and your work will be centered.  However those dimensions are going to result in maximum long dimension of 9.88" of image area.  10" won't fit.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:00:28 pm »

If you want an 8" image centered in the 8.5 width, have your tried using a custom page with .25 borders?

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:45:05 pm »

Thanks Bob.. that sounds logical.  I ended up printing as is with the extra 1/2" margin on the trailing end of the sheet and just trimmed it off so that end up with about 1/4" margins all around the image now... but at least it's a full 8x10. 

Wayne... I'll give that a try too the next time I need it.  I usually print 8x10s on my 4900 and they seem to work fine there - but this was a Matte Black ink print and the 9900 was already set up for it (PK was set up in the 4900) so tried it there. 
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up