Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CPM & Wordperfect?!?  (Read 7270 times)

Peter McLennan

Re: CPM & Wordperfect?!?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 08:34:17 pm »

and none of you are using Emacs and LaTex, shame on you. 

Does it count if you used to?  :) I ran emacs a lot on my Amiga.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 11:28:14 pm »

Wordstar was a lot better on a CP/M machine anyways......  ;D

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 01:33:01 am »

Phew!

This is like a "dick-measuring competition" to see who has the smallest... ;D
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 02:45:34 am »

Which is rather sad.

What would have been interesting is to learn how many people are still using older software productively today and what they're finding useful.
My profiling business still sees lots of users of Windows XP and happily using older versions of Photoshop like CS, CS2 & CS3.
Although some here have been highly dismissive of XP being 'old' or 'out of date' I was amused last week to see Milan's brand new, not fully finished, Metro line using XP as the operating system for it's ticket machines.

'If it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing' can apply to software as much as anything else.

fredjeang2

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 03:40:36 am »

Which is rather sad.

What would have been interesting is to learn how many people are still using older software productively today and what they're finding useful.
My profiling business still sees lots of users of Windows XP and happily using older versions of Photoshop like CS, CS2 & CS3.
Although some here have been highly dismissive of XP being 'old' or 'out of date' I was amused last week to see Milan's brand new, not fully finished, Metro line using XP as the operating system for it's ticket machines.

'If it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing' can apply to software as much as anything else.

Let's start then:
Still using an old XP on a unit
Still using on this XP Freehand for vectors tasks instead
Of ilustrator and indesign.
Still runnin PS 3 on windows 7
Never used ever a word app
Still using an old 720p video camera
Still using an old monitor on one unit for its quality
Still runnin old version of browsers
Not still runnin the same girlfriend. I like to upgrade from time to time.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 04:15:12 am »

Which is rather sad.

Yep, some things work reasonably well, like my XP dedicated to Photoshop 6! Any you know what: my Photoshop 6 is too sophisticated for my other, newer machine running Vista. ;-)

Funnies aside, I simply don't see anything missing from PS6 that the inclusion of a method of correcting verticals wouldn't have solved. For me. I just don't need further performing dogs for the simple, basic, photography that interests me now, or even that I used to do professionally. Even the verticals wouldn't really be a problem were I still on the job, as it were: I'd have gone Canon and bought the 17mm and 24mm shifters. Problem solved; thanks, Tax Man! Without the tax man on my side, it really doesn't make sense to care.

Rob C

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 07:45:13 am »

Which is rather sad.

I spent my working career in the pharmaceutical industry and there is still a huge XP installed base.  The primary reason is that all computer systems need to be extensively tested and validated and this is not a trivial cost in terms of both time and money.  XP is rock solid and the associated applications whether off the shelf or custom made do one thing and one thing only.  They work and give the desired results.  Shortly before retirement three years ago, one of the big pharmaceutical companies in the US was the first to move from XP to Win7 and I talked with the head of IT about this.  There was concern (probably warranted) about Microsoft support for XP and they felt it was better to make the move in an orderly manner rather than scramble later on.  He wouldn't give me a dollar figure for the transition cost only noting it was quite high.

Rand47

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 09:46:45 am »

Original IBM PC - 64k hard wired to the motherboard.  I couldn't even load a mouse driver on it today.  The keyboard weighed about 5 lbs.   MS Word for DOS 1.0.   Made my own GUI w/ an ASCII text editor and bat files with numbers for names, LOL.  Much later, testing out the first version of "Windows" I didn't think it would fly because it didn't "do anything" and just seeing files as little icons seemed silly.  I much preferred "Gem Draw."

Any of you play the text version of "Zork"?  That game helped me expand my ability to hold a visual construct completely in my head.  Astonishing how far we've come so fast - I'm reading this board & posting this from my iPad while sipping morning coffee in bed! 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Peter McLennan

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 10:39:40 am »

Any of you play the text version of "Zork"? 

O ya.  And it's progenitor and the original text game: "Adventure"

I'm still "lost in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 12:16:17 pm »

O ya.  And it's progenitor and the original text game: "Adventure"

I'm still "lost in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

xyzzy.

Jeremy

Peter McLennan