Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D600 - 'Refurbished'  (Read 7521 times)

hencha

Nikon D600 - 'Refurbished'
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:41:58 pm »

Greetings...

Am considering purchasing a NIKON D600, advertised as 'refurbished by manufacturer' to original specs & coming with all original packaging / box, etc... I have never bought any refurbished camera before and would like to get feedback from any of you who have done so.

Am also assuming (or maybe I should not...) that part of this refurbishing by this manufacturer (Nikon) included a complete sensor cleaning, as per the KNOWN & much-discussed sensor dust / oil specs seen by early D600 buyers. I have been dealing with this internationally well-known store for many years and have always been satisfied with them, and I can always return the camera. I simply question the word 'refurbished' itself and what it entails, as I do NOT wish to experience an endless back-and-forth with the camera for sensor problems / cleaning (or OTHER problems...). I have not seen the actual camera, but have been assured it is cosmetically just about like new.

Also, is it safe to assume that this sensor problem has been taken care of with the most recent units of this D600 model, and by implication, any recently "manufacturer-refurbished" units ?  I guess a company like NIKON would NOT risk their reputation by fibbing about their 'refurbishing' process, but I might be wrong !

Any info would be welcome.

Hencha
hencha

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: Nikon D600 - 'Refurbished'
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:57 pm »

I've got no experience with refub cameras, but you should be aware that the refurb Nikons only have a 3 month warrantee. That makes it a questionable value, to me.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

TMARK

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:24:48 pm »

My aunt bought a refurb D7000 from Adorama.  Like new.  No issues.

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:03:16 pm »

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I have seen reports of people buying refurbished D800s that had the left AF sensor problem.  I did buy a refurbished D800E that didn't have a problem and was cosmetically like new, so it worked for me.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:49:50 pm by AFairley »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »

I bought a "factory refurbished" D2X many years ago and it was in fact not distinguishable from new.  But it came in a plain-vanilla "white box" with minimal Nikon marks on it.  Its total activations were very low, so perhaps it had been a demo model or more likely a return for some real or imagined issue.  About 40,000 activations later it died of a too-expensive-to-repair shutter mechanism failure, a not unheard of event for that model.

I wonder if the definition of "factory refurbished" can be extended to include a Nikon retailer stuffing it back into the box with a kiss and a wish?

TMARK

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »

I bought a "factory refurbished" D2X many years ago and it was in fact not distinguishable from new.  But it came in a plain-vanilla "white box" with minimal Nikon marks on it.  Its total activations were very low, so perhaps it had been a demo model or more likely a return for some real or imagined issue.  About 40,000 activations later it died of a too-expensive-to-repair shutter mechanism failure, a not unheard of event for that model.

I wonder if the definition of "factory refurbished" can be extended to include a Nikon retailer stuffing it back into the box with a kiss and a wish?

How much was the shutter repair quote?  I had my shutter replaced for $320.  Was it more involved than that?

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 04:15:19 pm »

I bought a "refurb" D700, but did so directly from Nikon service.  Excellent camera, excellent condition.  Sorry, don't know about the D600 or D800.
good luck

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 05:46:56 pm »

I bought a refurb D300.  It had about ten actuations when I received it and about 50K when I sold it two years later. Original packaging intact.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:08:47 pm »

How much was the shutter repair quote?  I had my shutter replaced for $320.  Was it more involved than that?

Was gonna be $1500, the smallest of 2 quotes.  Was not the usual shutter failure.  The real expense was that it happened during peak autumn season with just one precious week of color left, so I bought a D5000 and realized I could live with it for pano work.  Next camera was a 5D2.

Anybody want a D2X body for parts?  Damned good paperweight, too!

Greg D

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 01:27:21 pm »

My understnding is that most often, "refurbished" products are basically new.  Often they are items bought from a retailer with a a liberal return policy (like B&H, Adorama, etc) and returned simply because the buyer didn't like it, not because of any defect.  Or it might have had a minor defect that appeared within the retailer's return period, so was exchanged rather than go through the warranty procedure.  The retailer can't put it back out as new, so it goes back to the manufacturer, is repaired (if necessary),  repackaged and sold as a refurb.  The idea that it's a product that's been used awhile, then "rebuilt" or "restored" isn't usually the case.  I've bought a number of refurbs (have a refurb D7000 now) and have only had one problem (and it was immediately obvious and returned).  Some people prefer them, as they've been "factory inspected" twice - unlikely that a refurb would go out with a serious problem.  The downside is of course the short warranty period.  Make your decision on that - is the longer warranty worth the price difference to you?

hencha

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 02:10:52 pm »

Hello all... Many thanks for your responses and the valuable information.

If it makes any difference, the retailer I mentioned earlier would be B&H and having dealt with them for more than 20 years, I do not hesitate to buy from them. They offer 90 days warranty...

The central question on my mind, I guess, is about the "process" that constitutes refurbishing. The last post by GREG D explains what I was thinking would be the way a piece of equipment would get to be called refurbished. Greg's last sentence about 'price difference' is also central to deciding.

Another point is that I am not a 'heavy' user of equipment, mainly vacations (2-3 times yearly) and most weekends. I would hope that by buying a nice "low-mileage" refurbished, it would serve me many years.

** Jonell = you mention buying from Nikon service directly... Who do I call / what site would list these items ?

TKS to everyone, Hencha   
hencha

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 08:12:58 am »

Not sure for anyone else, but here in Canada there is one central Nikon service depot for the whole country, and it is just outside Toronto.   anyhow they do not advertise what they have in stock, but what I do is phone Nikon Canada (main number), ask to talk to service and repair, wait a second or three to get put through, and then ask what they have on hand for sale.  Varies all the time, something of a crap shoot, and usually the guy has to put down the phone and goo look in back.

But any used/refurb item I have bought from them I have been very happy with.  Prices are generally higher than used prices on the street or ebay, but then what you buy usually comes with a full warranty of a year, and you know everything has been cleaned, fixed, etc, etc.  My D700 looked brand new, and seeing all the oil spot issues with the D600, I think I have had the last laugh.  But it took a few phone calls in my case because the used and referbed D700s never seemed to stay in stock very long.   wonder why.  :)

When you buy retail "refurb" as other posters have pointed out, sometimes it is a return that a store cannot sell brand new but otherwise is.  Not sure about cameras, but I have bought a couple "refurb" TVs locally with good luck.

In the specific case of a "refurb" D600, I would call Nikon direct (for whatever country you are in) and ask directly for Nikon service, and see if they have refurb D600s, because those cameras will - or should have been cleaned, inspected, etc, whereas a "refurb" from a large store might just be a repack of a cameras that was returned.

good luck

LKaven

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 08:45:11 am »

Hello all... Many thanks for your responses and the valuable information.

If it makes any difference, the retailer I mentioned earlier would be B&H and having dealt with them for more than 20 years, I do not hesitate to buy from them. They offer 90 days warranty...

The central question on my mind, I guess, is about the "process" that constitutes refurbishing. The last post by GREG D explains what I was thinking would be the way a piece of equipment would get to be called refurbished. Greg's last sentence about 'price difference' is also central to deciding.

Another point is that I am not a 'heavy' user of equipment, mainly vacations (2-3 times yearly) and most weekends. I would hope that by buying a nice "low-mileage" refurbished, it would serve me many years.

** Jonell = you mention buying from Nikon service directly... Who do I call / what site would list these items ?

TKS to everyone, Hencha   

I bought a refurbished D3x from Adorama.  It was like new in every respect and functioned perfectly for 3 years until I sold it.  All refurbished cameras are refurbished by Nikon.  In many cases, these were demonstrators used by Nikon.  I have never heard of a bad experience with one of them in the many cases where people such as you have solicited opinions in public forums. 

I believe it does not cost much to get the warranty extended to a full year through B&H.  At Adorama, all you have to do is sign up for their VIP program, which cost all of $15 at the last check.  I would buy with confidence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up