Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dartmoor  (Read 4910 times)

juliandecourcy

• View Through A Camera
Dartmoor
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »

A raw file I came across a few evenings ago. Often i look back over old files and see on a second look what i missed first time. It has got into a habit of being very careful on what I delete. Some times I think having  a time gap between when shot and looking at them, can give more of an objective viewing.

This is Dartmoor national park.

DARTMOOR by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Dartmoor
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »

Very moody... and beautiful. Well composed.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 02:04:57 pm »

Very moody... and beautiful. Well composed.
Yes, quite lovely.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

graeme

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:15:19 pm »

Great stuff Julian.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:41 pm »

I like this a lot. Keep "not deleting".

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:05:49 pm »

Golly!

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:20:00 pm »

Spectacular image Julian.

I have to admit that I only delete technical failures (focus issues, camera blur, hopeless exposure) for precisely the reason you mention.
I have come across several winners months to years after taking the shot that at the time of initial review just did not make an impact.

I suppose that it is a horse-for-courses scenario but I would not advise anyone to delete images just because they don't appear to have any WOW factor on initial viewing.

Tony Jay

David Cordner

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 02:49:38 am »

Wow... Love that image.

juliandecourcy

• View Through A Camera
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 03:38:48 am »

Thank you  Slobodan, Eric, Graeme, Nancy,Scott,Tony and David.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 04:26:45 am »

Moody and luscious.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 07:55:53 am »

Very well composed.

Remind me some "before the storm" pictures.

Thierry

francois

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 11:45:16 am »

Very dramatic mood, a bit similar to the industrial landscape you posted a few days ago. It is really oustanding!

Bravo
Francois

juliandecourcy

• View Through A Camera
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:15 pm »

Thanks Paulo,Thierry and Francois.

Issac that for me opens up a wide debate I have with myself about Photographs especially  genre's. I adore social documentary photography , I personally find the camera succeeds at that at it's best. As for landscapes and and what I would say loosely as nature, a photograph for me can never  even come close other than to simulate. My background is as a trained artist, sculpter and painter, my reflections may well stem from there. I know what you are saying and would agree but sometimes a moment of interest is difficult to obtain let alone sustained interest. Now if I was a very good photographer i am sure i could produce pics that would be able to hold more attention. I know I am probably a snap shooter, it is something I do for fun and not to be taken too seriously. I only wish I was good and then i could probably make a living from it.
Thanks for the insight .

juliandecourcy

• View Through A Camera
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 06:02:52 am »

Probably I'm mistaken, I wonder what you think - in this particular case, we skip over the dark parts of the image because they are so dark, and the bright parts of the image are centered so after the first glance we don't look around?

True it is very centralized. I for one love the idea of images that as you say, the eyes wonder round looking at different aspects. Sometimes and mostly photos are just what they are, this one is simple and nothing special and that is about it. Yes I would love to have the knowledge to make great landscapes.
The problem with using such a small sensor for landscapes is that the detail is not always flattering, which means it is often a good idea to give an ambiance, rather than the actual, that is not easy, as the photography forums are full to the brim of people asking to see images as if taken with a microscope, to see every hair follicle, ants eyes lashes and to take daylight images in the dark, that is what they perceive as photography,I do prefer the ambiance  if I had a choice.     

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 06:06:34 am »

I've spent a lot of time on Dartmoor, and I've never seen it quite that black, except for night-time. I love shadows & I hate how HDR can strip them away, but this is just too much for my liking.

juliandecourcy

• View Through A Camera
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 07:02:49 am »

Bill I have been on Dartmoor  many many times this winter in the dark waiting for the sunrise. You don't have to like this and as for HDR where is the HDR????? none here whatsoever. This is a one shot Raw.  I have never ever even attempted HDR and would not know where to begin. I think to a accuse forum users of something that is not so you need to know even a little of what you are talking about. 

Take good care  this is my last post in this forum.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 11:55:12 am »

... I think to a accuse forum users of something that is not so you need to know even a little of what you are talking about. 

Take good care  this is my last post in this forum.

Julian,

This is uncalled for. You got numerous accolades and only one or two remarks, not even criticism, and you are leaving!?

Chairman Bill is a good man, good photographer, and he certainly knows what he is talking about. He is also entitled to his likes and dislikes. Without your reaction, some of us would have engaged in a reasoned discourse as to why we like it that dark in this case (not to prove him wrong, but to express the opposing view).

Pardon me for saying this, as English is only my second language, but I really do not see how Bill "accused" you of using HDR. I simply can not read it in his sentence. Bill made a general statement ("I love shadows"), followed by another general statement (general = not directed to you) how he hates "how HDR CAN (emphasis mine) strip them away." Nothing in his sentence indicates he thinks YOU used HDR. He simply stated he likes shadows, but not that black.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 12:00:35 pm »

Thanks for clarifying my meaning Slobadan, and apologies if my comments were indeed open to misinterpretation. I thought my intent was quite clear, but obviously not.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 01:51:09 am »

A nice image. I would call it painterly, and the OP tells us he is a painter. If the image were a painting nobody would be concerned about the shadows or whether Dartmoor ever looked like that - we would go straight for the formal and emotional qualities of the image, both strong. Because it is a photograph those issues did come up - for Chairman Bill it would seem, and for me too. I found myself wondering exactly what condition of light was being represented. But I let that thought go quite quickly.
Ken Cameron

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 10:16:50 am »

I guess I tend to look at photographs in much the same way I look at paintings. For me, a camera is a tool that helps to produce an image. I, too, found the mood of the original photo very powerful, and I wasn't bothered by the shadows.

Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up