Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Croatia - special photo locations  (Read 3362 times)

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
Croatia - special photo locations
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:50 am »

Hi everybody, it's been a long time since I visited the forum and I'm glad to be back!

I am planning a photo trip to Croatia and wondering if anyone has tips for special locations for photography along the coast.

We will be traveling by car, and staying three nights each in Zadar, Split and Dubrovnik.

I've already done a lot of research, read the previous threads here, and added all the obvious places (the national parks, islands, etc.) to my itinerary.

I'm hoping to find out about unusual places -- off the beaten track -- that I wouldn't otherwise know about.

Any location suggestions will be very greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Croatia - special photo locations
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:56:58 pm »

I've been only up the coast from Staribar in Montenegro to Dubrovnik but have been to the Balkans a couple of times now.

However, besides spending a few KR to walk on the perimeter wall in Dubrovnik, there's all sorts of nooks and crannies along the coast for your discovery. If you take some of the side roads and get away from the coast and tourist areas, you will definitely find the real Croatia. There's even great tavernas and rotisseries to eat great with the local people.

Learn a few essential words, please, thank you, may I take your photo?, etc. (There's an app for that--Slovoed) and if offered slivovitz, take a swig and you'll have instant friends and great folks to photograph! Enjoy the beer and if offered, you'll find more friends and great subjects!

One of my favorite places just a bit south of Dubrovnik was Kotorska. A drive along the perimeter of the bay could easily take a couple of days with all the little towns, especially the old walled town of Kotor, a former fortress left over from when Venice ruled the land.

Before you go, get into pretty good shape since along the coast, walking isn't on a beach, it's up and down the steep coastal mountains. Even a couple of weeks of walking before your trip will come in handy!

Have a great trip!

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:25:05 am »

Larry, thanks so much for your reply. This is just the kind of info I was looking for! I'll definitely check out Kotor and Kotorska. Thanks also for the tip on the Slovoed apps - I've been using all kinds of language apps for years but somehow have never come across those. They are expensive - but look fantastic.

Thanks again. All my best, Nat
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

The Ute

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 08:12:02 am »

Plitovice.

;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:10:42 am »

We have a member here, on LuLa, that goes under the handle "-Tom-" that is from Croatia. Try PM or visit his website www.tomislavmavrovic.com for contact details and, perhaps, inspiration.

I am from former Yougoslavia (Belgrade, Serbia), but had been vacationing along the Adriatic coast pretty regularly in the 70's and 80's. As Larry said, you can't go wrong just by driving and walking around. While knowing a few words of local language is always good, pretty much everybody there speaks a few words of foreign languages as well, mostly German for the older generation and English for the younger.

I have not been there in a while, but I would now spend less time in big, industrial towns (like Split) and more in smaller ones, like Trogir and Hvar.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy!

markmullen

• Mark Mullen Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:11:18 pm »

I've just come back from another week in Dubrovnik, it is a very special place, I'm sure you'll love it.

The cable car Mount Srd gives panoramic views over the old town and the island of Lokrum, for a sunset take the number 6 bus from the Pile Gate to the Importanne Resort at Babin Kuk (get off outside at the end of the line outside the Dubrovnik President Hotel). From the Restaurant Zoe there are the most amazing sunsets, looking down towards Mljet, and it is a very nice restaurant!

Cavtat is a 45 minute boat ride for about    the equivalent of 10 euros and is a very picturesque place. The island of Lokrum is a 5 minute boat ride from the old town and has an old monastery, some rugged shorelines and also a colony of peacocks which are good to photograph.

I hope these help, feel free to email me if I can be of further assistance. Enjoy your trip.

slothead

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:42:56 pm »

I've only been to Dubrovnik, but what a great place that is!  Make sure you go up on the hill inland of the city and get the bird's eye view looking down on the harbor.

Good luck,
Tom

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:59:55 am by slothead »
Tom
Nikon D800, D750, N1 J5, Sony A7R, a6000, a5100, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods
Pages: [1]   Go Up