Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Schewe  (Read 12789 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Question for Schewe
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 02:30:47 pm »

^Yes there are.

I don’t know what you mean by virtual display driver, but there are problems associated with showing “true color” by way of RDP. There are some solutions, depending on the OS one is connecting to and from. Take a look at the content at the following link. It might help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278502

RFPhotography

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »

Bernard, MS is also careful to build backward compatibility into the Windows OS so you can run older versions of software and use older device drivers.  Some criticise MS for that, saying it makes the OS bloated and contributes to bugs and security flaws, but it also means you're not hooped and forced to upgrade all your software when you buy a new computer.  That's the more important aspect in this case, I think, as opposed to being able to install a newer OS on an older machine.

mouse

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 07:37:08 pm »

...... and is about the same proportion as when Adobe dropped support for Windows XP.

Please clear up my confusion.  Which Adobe products will not run on Windows XP?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 07:49:56 pm »

I don’t know what you mean by virtual display driver, but there are problems associated with showing “true color” by way of RDP.

I don't have any modern virtualization experience, and my previous experience with AIX and VM was only as a user, and two decades ago at that. So my terminology is probably wrong. I'm talking about the software that, in a real machine, acts as the display driver. In a virtual machine, it could actually be that same code, but it might not be. It's acting as the driver for the virtual display, which is in general different from the driver for the physical (hardware) display and graphics adapter. The driver for the virtual display can only implement functionality supported by the virtual hardware presented to it by the hypervisor. In my case, the virtual display driver and/or virtual hardware couldn't support the combination of resolution and bit-depth demanded by Flexcolor.

That was years ago, and the Imacon scanner is now on indefinite loan to John Sexton, so it's not a problem I want to solve any more. My difficulties serve as an object lesson that virtualization is no panacea, especially when the programs running on the virtual hardware make specific demands on that hardware that the virtualization software may not support.

Thanks for the link, though.

Jim

sniper

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 11:18:01 am »

Thanks to the OP and to Jeff for a helpfull and informative post.
Wayne   

SZRitter

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:00 am »

Please clear up my confusion.  Which Adobe products will not run on Windows XP?

Not sure overall, but the new Creative Cloud stuff won't. Wouldn't be surprised to see that Lightroom 5 didn't either. All our PCs at work are XP based, so it's off to convince the bosses for new PCs...

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:52 am »

Wouldn't be surprised to see that Lightroom 5 didn't either.
Support for XP was dropped at LR4

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 12:40:46 pm »

I don't have any modern virtualization experience, and my previous experience with AIX and VM was only as a user, and two decades ago at that.

Thanks for explaining. Twenty years ago, in 1993 Windows 3.11 had been shipping for about a year. (BTW, VMware didn’t ship its first product “VMware Workstation” until 1999, shortly before Windows 2000 server was released.) In 1993, not a lot of companies were designing hardware intended for virtual environments. There were few specifications for this environment at the time. So, no surprise your scanner did not work in the environment.

Since then, virtual technology has come a long way. There is currently a long list of specifications for use with virtual machines, and when the specifications are followed, it usually works.

That was years ago, and the Imacon scanner is now on indefinite loan to John Sexton, so it's not a problem I want to solve any more.

Understandably.

My difficulties serve as an object lesson that virtualization is no panacea, especially when the programs running on the virtual hardware make specific demands on that hardware that the virtualization software may not support.

Not really. While I agree that virtualization is not a panacea, it reads as if the difficulties you experienced were the result of trying use a scanner with a platform for which it was not designed.

Anywho, what I’m trying to express is that Microsoft has a stated 10 year product life cycle for their professional and enterprise platforms. For instance, Windows Server 2008 R2 was released in late 2009. Due to this, one can run current and not so current editions of Photoshop and the OSes PS runs under with virtual machines, or in some cases directly from the console through at least the year 2019. As an aside, MS almost always extends their support for their professional or enterprise platform by a year or two.

The latest edition of Windows Server is called Server 2012, and it also supports about the same OSes as Server 2008 R2. So, if one wanted to, they could probably run current PS CS6 software with new hardware through about 2023 or so.

Thanks for the link, though.

Yer welcome.

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 02:09:37 pm »

My thoughts, one week into the DECISION.

This entire post should be required reading for all whose knickers are or will be in knots because of this current kerfluffle over Adobe CC.  It is careful and cogent, and well worth thinking through.  Well done, Jeff!

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 02:51:45 pm »

Not really. While I agree that virtualization is not a panacea, it reads as if the difficulties you experienced were the result of trying use a scanner with a platform for which it was not designed.

The scanner software was designed for Windows XP. I was trying to use it under Win 7, using the Microsoft Virtual PC product. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

I think it would have worked if I could have made Flexcolor happy with the display driver. OTOH, I might have run into troubles with the SCSI interface had I made it past the display driver problwem.

Jim

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »

Thanks Jeff.

Really helpful insight and very nicely put.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 10:53:35 pm »

I own Photoshop CS5 and would love to upgrade to CS6 so I can resist CC as long as possible but the upgrade is not available for purchase anywhere that I could find! Poof, the upgrade option has vanished with the introduction of CC. Anyone have any tips on this? I'm certainly not going to buy a full version of PS6 for $600 just to get the upgrade.

~ Jeff

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:58:16 pm by Jeff Magidson »
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 11:04:09 pm »

I own Photoshop CS5 and would love to upgrade to CS6 so I can resist CC as long as possible but the upgrade is not available for purchase anywhere that I could find! Poof, the upgrade option has vanished with the introduction of CC. Anyone have any tips on this? I'm certainly not going to buy a full version of PS6 for $600 just to get the upgrade.

~ Jeff

This may work, but not sure: (a friend found it in another list-serve email exchange between other people trying the same thing): http://is.gd/6KJeMY.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 11:33:31 pm »

This may work, but not sure: (a friend found it in another list-serve email exchange between other people trying the same thing): http://is.gd/6KJeMY.

I should add, I checked on it when I learned of it and it did lead to an official Adobe upgrade page (unless by now they've pulled it). I don't know whether it allows you to actually still purchase the upgrade, because I didn't try - I already had purchased my upgrade via the usual Adobe upgrade cycle when it become available way back when.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

davidh202

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 11:41:26 pm »

~ Jeff

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=10

Hit the buy button on Photoshop CS6  at $ 699 (tricky), it  then asks "I want to Buy?" with a little down arrow ...hit that to choose from  full to  upgrade  at $199. 99 choice and your good to go. Don't wait too long as they might pull this at any moment. It is download version only no box if you have registered version of CS5 on your MY Adobe products page then it will automatically recognize your qualification to upgrade. I did it on Sunday with no problems at all ...
One more note...I did this a home but to get the second machine download, for some reason I could not get the download on my other work machine using IE 10 on Win 7 Pro but used Google Chrome to get through the Adobe Flash blockage I had. ;-)
David
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:53:02 pm by davidh202 »

PECourtejoie

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 03:34:12 am »

Bernard, I'm a bit surprised by your post, especially those two sentences:
"The current version of CS6 is not compatible with OSX 10.9 (TBC but pretty likely)"

and:

"(I'd personnally be surprised if CS6 worked on 10.10 without any change, it hasn't happened for years on OSX as far as I can recall)."

What makes you believe that?

I'm currently running Photoshop CS4, CS5.1 and CS6 on Mac OS 10.8.3 without problem, 3 versions that were released before 10.8 was available.

I don't know if you could amend your post, but I'm afraid that many might look too much into that, and that more FUD would spread from it...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:22 am »

Bernard, I'm a bit surprised by your post, especially those two sentences:
"The current version of CS6 is not compatible with OSX 10.9 (TBC but pretty likely)"

and:

"(I'd personnally be surprised if CS6 worked on 10.10 without any change, it hasn't happened for years on OSX as far as I can recall)."

What makes you believe that?

I'm currently running Photoshop CS4, CS5.1 and CS6 on Mac OS 10.8.3 without problem, 3 versions that were released before 10.8 was available.

I don't know if you could amend your post, but I'm afraid that many might look too much into that, and that more FUD would spread from it...

My comment arose from the fact that Adobe themselves mentioned they were considering releasing a patch to ensure compatibility betweeen CS6 and 10.9.

I am glad to read you are able to run older versions of CS on 10.8.3, it seems my comment about past compatibility was mistaken. Now are you confident that this will remain possible moving forward knowing that the degree of interaction between apps and some OS layers like OpenCL are what they are today?

Cheers,
Bernard

yaredna

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 09:02:35 am »

I tried moving CS3 for a dead computer (Win7) to a newer hardware (Win 7 too). Called Adobe, theyrefused to allow me to deactivate my wife's CS3 suite from the dead computer. See my rant in other topics.

My guess is: 3 - 4 years max, until one motherboard or graphic card of your computer dies.

Not enough to bet your career or your business on.

Jeff, there's been a lot of talk about various ways that CS6 could go obsolete -- that operating systems change, that new cameras are no longer supported, etc. If somebody were to press a gun to your head and ask you to make a prediction about how long LR5 and CS6 would be commonly and easily functional, without jumping through your ass or mothballing computers or any of that...just commonly and usably functional...

How many years would you give them? Four? Five? More or less?

If you were determined to keep one as (commonly and easily) functional as possible for as long as possible, would you go with Mac or Windows?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 10:31:43 am »

I tried moving CS3 for a dead computer (Win7) to a newer hardware (Win 7 too). Called Adobe, theyrefused to allow me to deactivate my wife's CS3 suite from the dead computer.

Hi,

That's serious. Keep pushing back at them, call, write letters, send emails. It doesn't bode well even for CS6 owners. Once a hard disk dies, or other hardware comes into play, who knows if (re-)activation will be available, despite a perpetual use license ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 02:34:04 pm »

I tried moving CS3 for a dead computer (Win7) to a newer hardware (Win 7 too). Called Adobe, they refused to allow me to deactivate my wife's CS3 suite from the dead computer. See my rant in other topics.

This is serious. How long will Adobe keep their Activation server active supporting old license keys?

The perpetual license does not look so perpetual after all ! Perhaps I should look for a crack for my legitimate copy of CS6.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up