Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono Lake Team Effort  (Read 1046 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Mono Lake Team Effort
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »

My sister took off on a week long trip from her home in Sacrament to Utah and back. She's a better than average point-and-shoot photographer and has a Panasonic G3 camera. I suggested she try some panoramas and gave her a short list of pointers on doing this. She sent me the files and I worked them up in Lr and PS. Unfortunately, she did not shoot in RAW+JPG, as I recommended, but the result from the JPGs is OK if you don't push it too hard. I like this one quite a bit. (Yes. It looks a bit over sharpened - something to do with the upload, I think.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:27:43 pm by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Mono Lake Team Effort
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:11:08 am »

Nice vista and panorama. I find the light a bit uninteresting, too harsh and zenithal.

juliandecourcy

• View Through A Camera
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:43:51 am »

Interesting location, nice space, forms and lines. I use a M4/3 a lot now and have done a few ok landscapes with it. Well done as it was from Jpgs.

francois

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:51:17 am »

Very nice and uncommon panorama! My only niggle is the halo around the bird. It might be caused by jpeg compression for upload or/and by sharpening in the camera… Other than that, I like it.
Francois

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:03:59 pm »

As noted, I didn't get to make the actual captures and the images I got to work with were not in RAW format. Doing the work on these images really demonstrated why you should always shoot RAW or at least RAW + JPG and delete the RAW files later if you think you will never use them. (As for me, I only shoot RAW and save everything except obvious mis-fires, and blunders.)

Even in this image, which picked up some issues when saving for a smaller image, you can see the skies breaking up. In another image whenever I pushed the sky enough to darken it to where I wanted it, I got visible banding. Sharpening becomes problematic and you can't push clarity without some unwanted effects. Never the less, this image printed beautifully at 8.5"x 25" and my sister was very pleased. As for the crow, I had to laugh when my sister said, "Nice job Photoshopping-in the crow." I didn't put it in, it was actually in two images in the stitch. I wondered if I'd get two crows in the final picture, but one of them, which was the smaller one, got cropped out.

I think this image goes to show that even with less than ideal material, when you have an image over 8,000 pixels wide, you ought to be able to get something out of it!   ;D
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up