Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steps to La Defense  (Read 4264 times)

WalterEG

Re: Steps to La Defense
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 05:51:45 am »

And I would also.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:21 am »

I'd be part of that audience too.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

cjogo

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 01:28:44 am »

Did not have my first real exposition > until about 1978.   By 1992 was well established in the galleries ( 3 in Carmel alone )

But started working closer with the owners... learning what was selling > not what I felt like shooting.  You find the images/style that are selling in any given market.  I would pack up the cameras and head out to whatever was worth capturing > knowing I could sell.  When you don't have a day job to support your habit :: act responsible > shoot desirable images /\ not what you feel artistically incline toward.

I had plenty of images stacked up in storage .. that were costly ventures.  Beautiful 20 X images I thought were exquisite ;D but the public are the ones who pay your rent.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:37:26 am by cjogo »

cjogo

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 01:54:23 am »

If you follow some of my images ---  you will notice > for example :::  one year wrought iron was in .... the next few years doors --- etc.  I traveled around  for about 30 years ... every year another spot. Researched what was "hot" in the major galleries /media > and then packed up to points beyond.  

It was very difficult with color work  >:(   You had to be in the "know'  for next Falls' colour schemes ... Can't shoot a field of red flowers :: when pale blue is the future theme  :(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:42:13 am by cjogo »

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 05:20:45 am »

If you follow some of my images ---  you will notice > for example :::  one year wrought iron was in .... the next few years doors --- etc.  I traveled around  for about 30 years ... every year another spot. Researched what was "hot" in the major galleries /media > and then packed up to points beyond.  

It was very difficult with color work  >:(   You had to be in the "know'  for next Falls' colour schemes ... Can't shoot a field of red flowers :: when pale blue is the future theme  :(

In other words, you decided on your subjects just as a professional stock shooter does. Nothing wrong with that, and it could well be that galleries might even be more rewarding money-wise than sales via a stock agency. Today, I wouldn't doubt that for a moment, and the thought of spending money on travel ceased to make sense many years ago, even before digitial: simply too many guys shooting the same material just as well.

So what changed your mind regarding galleries and continuing to shoot for them? Change of company ownership/directors made huge changes to my commercial shooting, resulting in loss of contacts and their provision of work. Social mores also affected me: political correctness became a killer for calendars, as did rising paper and labour costs, of course.

A friend wrote recently that the entire face of commercial photography has changed... guess the face of everything has changed.

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 12:10:11 pm »

It all has changed ...digital was the main game changer.  Several galleries have closed their doors ... One well-established Carmel gallery would like me to return > but only wants my color work.  :-[   
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:47:34 pm by cjogo »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up