Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drawing with light  (Read 749 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
Drawing with light
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:53:00 pm »

After taking a break to work on my portrait taking skills, I went back to take a fresh look at nature photography. The whole concept of "drawing with light" as a description of the process intrigues me, particularly in monochrome.

Here's one that I thought may be worth showing to you for feedback.

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
Re: Drawing with light
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:59:10 am »

By drawing with light, did you mean you used a flashlight on the flower?

LoisWakeman

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:03:05 am »

I like the textures and glancing light - but the delicate details of the flower spray get rather lost into the leaf behind.

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:55:22 am »

By drawing with light, did you mean you used a flashlight on the flower?

Hi Martin, I meant the idea of capturing reflected light in a way that is remenicient of an artist drawing. Some photographers talk about the way a lens "paints" in that it adds a characteristic signature to the color, contrast, bokeh, etc. In this case, I was mostly trying to envision monochrome images with interesting areas of texture and intensely contrasting features to create distinct lines of light and dark. This was done with just natural light coming through the trees.

Lois, I see what you mean about the delicate folds of the flower  getting lost in the rough background of the leaf. It seems it could have been better if I had take the picture from a slightly different angle, so the darker black background surrounded the flower. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up