Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe 3rd Quarter Financials  (Read 6233 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Adobe 3rd Quarter Financials
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 04:35:56 pm »

Because they're such simpering, wimpering puddles of indecision?

No, Bob, because Adobe keeps changing their plan. At this point nobody knows what the final product is going to be. Go read Thom Hogan to get an idea of how iffy the whole thing is at this point.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RSL

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 04:50:41 pm »

Sounds like revisiting that decision would be A Good ThingTM for you.

Hi Isaac. Do you have even the remotest idea how this (misnamed) cloud thing is going to work? The way it ends up is that if I'm out in the boonies where I can't get internet access and I want to do some preliminary processing with my laptop on the day's nature shoot, I'm screwed. Without internet access I wouldn't be able to use Photoshop at all. I'd still be able to use Lightroom (at least for now), which would give me access to the manipulations in ACR, but to do anything beyond that I'd have to wait until I could get back home. I'll grant you I don't do much boonie work any more, but losing the ability to use software I've paid for, because I don't have internet access, isn't particularly appealing. Seems to me that if Adobe's going to do something like this they ought at least to provide satellite internet access as part of the package (at the same price).

Isaac

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 05:12:43 pm »

Do you have even the remotest idea how this (misnamed) cloud thing is going to work?

In my understanding, you don't need continual internet access --

"You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days.  However, you'll be able to use products for 3 months (99 days) even if you're offline."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:07:38 pm by Isaac »

RSL

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 06:27:58 pm »

I see you changed your post. Sorry Isaac, to answer the question you deleted, it was both. Works both ways my friend.

No, I know you won't need continual internet access, but it may end up that you'll have to be online at the start of each session. I hope you end up being right about only having to validate every thirty days, but I'm not sure that's how it'll work. At this point nobody seems to be quite sure what the end product is going to look like. As Hogan points out, Adobe has done some really dumb things over the past couple years and there's no guarantee this won't continue the trend. Don't get me wrong. I use Photoshop, Lightroom, DreamWeaver, and my wife uses InDesign. I'm an Adobe booster; been using their stuff since before Windows; but sometimes they do things that shake me up and fail to do things that leave us with software that doesn't work quite right.

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 06:38:32 pm »

I hope you end up being right about only having to validate every thirty days, but I'm not sure that's how it'll work. At this point nobody seems to be quite sure what the end product is going to look like.

I simply quoted the Adobe FAQ answer; and as Adobe Creative Cloud has been operating since May 2012, I guess there actually are people who know what it looks like now -- "Adobe ended Q1 with 479 thousand paid Creative Cloud members".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:36:26 pm by Isaac »

RFPhotography

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:04 pm »

Hi Isaac. Do you have even the remotest idea how this (misnamed) cloud thing is going to work? The way it ends up is that if I'm out in the boonies where I can't get internet access and I want to do some preliminary processing with my laptop on the day's nature shoot, I'm screwed. Without internet access I wouldn't be able to use Photoshop at all. I'd still be able to use Lightroom (at least for now), which would give me access to the manipulations in ACR, but to do anything beyond that I'd have to wait until I could get back home. I'll grant you I don't do much boonie work any more, but losing the ability to use software I've paid for, because I don't have internet access, isn't particularly appealing. Seems to me that if Adobe's going to do something like this they ought at least to provide satellite internet access as part of the package (at the same price).

If you're relying on a laptop to do anything other than very cursory overviews then you're doing too much.  I'm sorry but this is a complete red herring position.  No one who's serious about the end result does their editing on a laptop screen.  I can get with a laptop if it's got an IPS panel and offers full access to the necessary adjustments for screen calibration but there might be 1 or 2 such models on the market.  Even the few with IPS panels I've seen have stripped down graphics cards that aren't suitable for truly colour critical work.

Validation of the license is supposed to be once/month and the usage timeframe may even be longer from what I've read thus far.  Isaac's post seems to confirm that.  Further, you could have LR and CS6 on the laptop, use LR for RAW adjustments if the camera is newer than what is supported by ACR8 (the minimum that Adobe has confirmed will be made available for CS6) then hand off to CS6 for any further processing.

As far as what Thom has to say, I have read his remarks.  I agree with some of his points but don't agree with others and while his comments are, generally, more rational than I've seen elsewhere; particularly here at LuLa, there is still some FUD (to borrow a Scheweism) in his views.

If you don't like the CC idea, that's fine but to continue to spread FUD isn't the least bit helpful.

RSL

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:21 am »

Hi Bob, You're right of course, but you seem to have missed the word "preliminary" in what I wrote.

And yes, it's too early to get too upset about the change. If Adobe's FAQ answer turns out to be right, as Isaac seems to believe, other than the price increase the whole thing will just be a change in Adobe's activation method.

I'm always concerned about activation and deactivation because once a year I leave Colorado and go to Florida, and once a year I leave Florida and return to Colorado. Both moves require a deactivation and reactivation of Photoshop, DreamWeaver, and InDesign for my main machines. I'm not sure what happens to that process with the new setup. I was happy with Google's change in what they now call the "Nik Collection." I used to have to uninstall each Nik plugin at one end and reinstall each at the other end, and then activate the plugins one-by-one. Now I can uninstall the whole collection with a single click and reinstall at the other end with a single click. Activation's no longer required. Guess I'll have to see if there's an Adobe FAQ that answers questions about plugins in the new system.

I don't agree with everything Thom says either, but as you point out, he's more rational than other commentators, so his points usually deserve serious consideration.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up