Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: When will we have the Canon D800e?  (Read 13919 times)

henrikfoto

When will we have the Canon D800e?
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:48:09 am »

I would like to buy the Nikon D800e, but have a lot of Canon-lenses.
I am hoping for a Canon "D800".

Will it come soon, or is it time to sell and go to Nikon?

Henrik

marcmccalmont

Re: When will we have the Canon D800e?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:57:51 am »

"I hear your pain brother" I was ready for a 5DIII but went for the D800E due to it's better sensor. What to do about the lenses? For landscapes manual focus is fine so I invested in Leica R lenses modified them with Leitax Nikkor mounts. So now I can use them directly on my D800E or with an adapter on my 5DII. So I future proofed my lens investment, they can be used on a Nikon,Canon or Sony
Marc
Marc McCalmont

henrikfoto

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:53:53 am »

Hi Marc!

Thank you for good advice.

Have you sold your Phase One gear and just use the Nikon?

Henrik

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:01:01 am »

I doubt they are in any rush. Current models are still making them money and they have been selling more cameras than anyone else for 10years.
I would have thought the replacement of the less than stellar lenses in the line-up will be completed first, we have already seen the quality they are capable of with the new zooms and 17/24 tilt-shifts so they have the ability to produce lenses to match a high MPixel sensor.

BJL

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:20:28 am »

Better to visit http://www.canonrumors.com than ask anywhere in these forums.
Short answer; not on the rumor horizon: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/05/no-7d-mark-ii-in-2013-cr2/

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:36:31 pm »

Hi Marc!

Thank you for good advice.

Have you sold your Phase One gear and just use the Nikon?

Henrik

Never! :)
The Nikon's per pixel IQ is higher than the IQ180's but he overall IQ of the IQ180 can't be beat. I enjoy shooting with a technical camera more than a dslr when I'm not in a hurry. Since it's a hobby for me I get more pleasure out of the IQ180/Cambo WRS/ Rodenstock HR's, I like vanilla, you like chocolate kind of thing where no one is right or wrong just personal preference. Marc
Marc McCalmont

hasselbladfan

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 03:06:49 am »

Canon's financial results were not fantastic in Q1 and DLR sales in units were down 15% (see charts below).

So they promised to strengthen product competitiveness to regain growth.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:09:18 am by hasselbladfan »

henrikfoto

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:25:51 am »

Thats interesting. Maybe They have lost some to Nikon..

Since you are Hasselbladfan, do you know how Hasselblad are doing?

hasselbladfan

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 12:30:20 pm »

Nope. They are a private Company since 2003, so the don't have to publish much investor's information. Just some basic info in Sweden, but that won't help us much.

The medium-format camera maker is now part of the Switzerland- and Germany-based private equity firm's Ventizz Capital Fund IV, the companies said today.

The firm will provide new capital for a growth strategy, Ventizz said. "We are proud to have such an iconic brand in our portfolio and are convinced that with solid financial support and a suitable growth strategy, Ventizz can further strengthen Hasselblad's position as the first-class producer of medium-format digital camera systems.

Since 2003, Hasselblad had been owned by Hong Kong-based Shriro Group, which still retains rights to distribute Hasselblad products in the Asia-Pacific region. Shriro Chief Executive Vasco Fung will serve another five-year term on Hasselblad's supervisory board.

Canon is a public Company, so you just have to go to their quarterly investor call to find info about sales / profit / strategy. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:35:12 pm by hasselbladfan »

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »

Canon Rumors is not exactly all-seeing and all-knowing. However, I don't see Canon releasing a new high-density FF sensor camera so soon after introducing the 5D3 and 1DX. I am hoping more for the high-density APS-C improved sensor 7D2 for better bird photography at higher ISOs. Currently I have a 60D, which has the same sensor as 7D but has really minimal AF options.

I decided to get a second Canon DSLR for FF especially low-light/ astro-landscape photography, and just bought the 6D body and a used Zeiss 21mm f/2.8.   ;D  I will be driving out to the country tonight to give my new camera and its trinity of WA lenses a test (the others are Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Samyang 14mm f/2.8).

shadowblade

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:49 pm »

Canon Rumors is not exactly all-seeing and all-knowing. However, I don't see Canon releasing a new high-density FF sensor camera so soon after introducing the 5D3 and 1DX. I am hoping more for the high-density APS-C improved sensor 7D2 for better bird photography at higher ISOs. Currently I have a 60D, which has the same sensor as 7D but has really minimal AF options.

I decided to get a second Canon DSLR for FF especially low-light/ astro-landscape photography, and just bought the 6D body and a used Zeiss 21mm f/2.8.   ;D  I will be driving out to the country tonight to give my new camera and its trinity of WA lenses a test (the others are Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Samyang 14mm f/2.8).

Actually, that's precisely why I see Canon releasing something like that sooner rather than later (i.e. early 2014, rather than 2015-2016).

After dominating the high-resolution and high-density fields for so long (with the 1Ds3/5D2 and the 7D respectively), Canon now has nothing competitive for photographers for whom resolution and/or pixel density are important. It'd be dumb to surrender such a long-held advantage without a fight.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 02:20:57 am »

Don't underestimate how much pressure bad (sales) results give in a Japanese environment.

If they don't fix it quickly, careers are going to be affected. :)

I see a 3D coming sooner than later.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 04:25:04 am »

A high pixel count full frame SLR from Canon is highly probable. I am more interested in how they are going to tackle it in terms of camera tier positioning. Will we see it first introduced as a 1 series camera? Most likely yes, since a "studio-landscape" 1 series camera is certainly missing. Or, will it be introduced first as a new 3D series prosumer camera? I think the latter is not likely, given that for all intents, the "digital EOS 3" is already here, it's called the 1DX.

If that is the case, then all the full frame shoes would be dropped: new pro 1 series with high pixel count - pro 1DX - prosumer 5D -entry level 6D.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 04:35:45 am »

A high pixel count full frame SLR from Canon is highly probable.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to try first to catch up from a DR standpoint?

Arguably, 2 stops more DR would deliver more value for more photographers than 40+ megapixels I would think.

Cheers,
Bernard

hasselbladfan

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 05:57:16 am »

Bernard,

Don't underestimate the marketing impact of high megapixels in selling cameras. DRs are never advertised ! :)

Ludwig Nobel

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:09:48 am »

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to try first to catch up from a DR standpoint?

Arguably, 2 stops more DR would deliver more value for more photographers than 40+ megapixels I would think.

Cheers,
Bernard

+1
The reason I did not update to the 5D3 from my 5D2 was not resolution, but lack of improvement in this (for me) more important area.
And I know I am not alone with this opinion. I will wait for the next generation of Canon's FF bodys, not switching now because too much money invested in L-lenses. If their next body has the same problems with noise in shadows at low ISO, I will say goodbye Canon.

Ludwig

Tony Jay

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:52:06 am »

There is no doubt that DR is currently, for Canon, its elephant in the room.
I do own a 5D mark III, and it is a very fine camera in almost all respects.
Nonetheless improvements in DR are absolutely what I am hanging out for.

Sony's sensors, and possibly also the Sigma Foveon sensors are most definitely changing the playing field for Canon.
It will be interedting to see how they respond.

Tony Jay

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 06:56:52 am »

Nonetheless with the new firmware Hack by Magic Lantern - making Raw video possible larger than HD - the 5dIII turns out to be one of the best video cameras around...

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/eu-west-1.vimeo.com/videos/164/380/164380502.mov?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJCX4YKY455TWB7MQ&Expires=1368532529&Signature=d4fZaKa1%2FTLU66%2FcB1jIDYCNpGY%3D
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:47 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

I don´t know, maybe it is just me, but I have never taken a shot that I then would go and say: "Gosh, I wish I had 2 more stops of DR!". What I am saying is, for someone that grew up as a photographer with slide film, I find the current crop of Canon sensors more than enough for what I need (landscapes, seascapes, travel, people, nature macro). I sure can appreciate more DR, but I just wonder how many photographers really need it? BTW, I also don´t need or want more pixels, the ones on my 6D are plenty enough.

Do we really need to open up shadows that much? Lots of photos I see today have (for me) shadows that are too light, that do not match the existing light. When I look at photos from photographers I admire, I see that they are not afraid of deep and moody shadows.

Petrus

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:03 am »

I don´t know, maybe it is just me, but I have never taken a shot that I then would go and say: "Gosh, I wish I had 2 more stops of DR!".

Every time I take a shot with my D800e or D4 where the histogram hits both ends I say aloud: "Gosh, I wish I had 2 more stops of DR!"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up