Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiding behind pseudonyms  (Read 19147 times)

Iluvmycam

Re: Hiding behind pseudonyms
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 07:24:44 pm »

I don't care about screen names.

I'd use mine except for the work I'm doing. Every damn thing you say on the forums comes up on Google. When I retire from the work I'm doing now I won't care. That is my story.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 07:52:23 pm »

... Every damn thing you say on the forums comes up on Google...

And that is the problem because...?

If you say what you mean and mean what you say, than STAND behind it, for god's sake! Man up!

If you do not want your mom to google you and have you wash your mouth with a soap, then do not say it. Couldn't be simpler!

The ability to say something anonymously, and then hide behind its consequences is precisely the reason people are asking for full names.

John Camp

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2013, 08:09:34 pm »

If you say what you mean and mean what you say, than STAND behind it, for god's sake! Man up!

If you do not want your mom to google you and have you wash your mouth with a soap, then do not say it. Couldn't be simpler!

The ability to say something anonymously, and then hide behind its consequences is precisely the reason people are asking for full names.

That's not a very realistic attitude. I use my real name, but I work for myself. It's very possible to have a job you like and think is worthwhile, and yet the people a couple of layers over your head are ****oles. So, you might not want them to be able to Google your more candid opinions. I have no problem with that. I occasionally participate in a financial forum, and I use a pseudonym because among the topics there are some in which you wind up revealing quite a bit about your financial life. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that under my real name. I'm not try to dissemble about this, I'm not trolling or posting crazy stuff, I'm just not comfortable with thousands of strangers getting the details of my financial life...so, I use a pseudonym. There are good reasons for using them -- and you really can't judge why people do, without asking for information that they may not want to provide. So, you treat pseudonyms like you do real names -- if they're jerks, they're jerks, and you ignore them.   

jrsforums

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35:28 pm »

Some people are in sensitive jobs or political positions, where anything they say can be twisted.  We see this every day in the news.  What about job seekers, who's Facebook pages a scrutinized?

I am much like some others....I have never pretended to be anything but what I am...and with a search of this, or other forums, one could easily find out what I did and currently do, and I have been open when asked. 

I have been using the same forum name on most forums, pretty much since I started registering....on this one since 2005.  I added my name to the signature as I really do not think it matter and to show I have nothing to hide....but I feel that others, who are sensitive to their information and thoughts being exposed on the internet should be allowed the privacy they deserve.

John

johnvr

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2013, 10:05:50 pm »

Interesting take John, however it is possible to allow your name and other information to be displayed in the footer of every post even if you do use a pseudonym - just look at David Sutton's posts as an easy example.

The problem is that you never know how the technology is going to change and in the future display something it doesn't now. I only discovered recently that sites using Disqus as their commenting system basically allow anybody to see what I commented on any Disqus-based site to show up on all those sites, even though the topics might have nothing to do with each other. I since stopped commenting via Disqus.

johnvr

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2013, 10:10:01 pm »

It's a problem because unless people know you personally, they're going to form an opinion of you based on a very one-dimensional impression. Once that first impression is formed, however wrong, it's hard to shake.

The web is extremely shallow and I rather defend myself against that.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2013, 10:35:29 pm »

... The web is extremely shallow and I rather defend myself against that.

I couldn't care less what shallow people think of me, first impression or otherwise.

cottagehunter

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2013, 11:11:34 pm »

I have used this pseudonym on this site since 2004 and other sites since the 90's never have given a thought that I was hidding my identity. It is part of my three most active e-mail addresses. As you can see I don't post much more of a reader, I feel most of the time I don't have much to contribute that hasn't already been said if it is a discussion.  I sure have learned a lot here and most requests for information have been quickly answered

Thanks
Piierre

Tony Jay

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2013, 04:23:27 am »

The problem is that you never know how the technology is going to change and in the future display something it doesn't now. I only discovered recently that sites using Disqus as their commenting system basically allow anybody to see what I commented on any Disqus-based site to show up on all those sites, even though the topics might have nothing to do with each other. I since stopped commenting via Disqus.
It certainly isn't a perfect world is it.

Tony Jay

stamper

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2013, 05:45:45 am »

Isn't it time to stop anonymous posting? Don't people think it would improve the tone of conversation?

I'd have no problem with a general rule that allows individuals to make a case for exemption (eg they're senior guys in Adobe's Camera Raw team) but I'd begin by barring new members from posting until their profile identifies them and makes them a little more responsible for what they say.

Anyone agree?

John

How do the forum members know that John Beardy is your real name? In your profile you have a web site.

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/

What is your real name? How do I know - and everyone else on the forum - know that when someone claims they are using their real names it is true?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2013, 06:06:19 am »

How do the forum members know that John Beardy is your real name? In your profile you have a web site.

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/

What is your real name? How do I know - and everyone else on the forum - know that when someone claims they are using their real names it is true?

The topic is hiding behind pseudonyms. I'm not doing so.

I'm amused that I read your comments as a (minor) attack on the person. As was said earlier, obviously bogus names are a good sign of the user's bad faith, but it's likely some people would use fake names. That happens (eg there are guns in the UK despite our laws, people use phones when driving). Where would we be if we made the perfect the enemy of the possible?

John

stamper

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2013, 06:20:04 am »

No attack intended. I was looking for clarification about the difference in the two names you have used. One of them has to be a pseudonym. Do I take it that John Beardy is a pseudonym? The problem is when a soap box is mounted the person doing so does so in good faith. :)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2013, 10:14:28 am »

No attack intended. I was looking for clarification about the difference in the two names you have used. One of them has to be a pseudonym. Do I take it that John Beardy is a pseudonym? The problem is when a soap box is mounted the person doing so does so in good faith. :)

Wow, you're so funny. You suggest hypocrisy and you don't think the other person should think you intended it as a personal attack?

The topic was hiding behind pseudonyms.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:29:06 am by johnbeardy »

Telecaster

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2013, 04:10:17 pm »

I can't even remember why I used the name Telecaster here.   ::)  I did use it frequently years ago--my favorite electric guitar is a Tele--but often I've used my actual name too. Some of the arguments here in favor of real names have a self-righteous tinge to them that I makes me uncomfortable, even if I can accept the logic.

Anyway, I always sign posts the same wherever I am...so anyone who wanted to could easily enough figure out my name.

-Dave-

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2013, 07:51:19 pm »

FWIW

In practical terms the enforcement of the use of 'real' names is virtually impossible - the required labour overhead is impractical, the intended benefit doubtful.

We encourage the use of 'real' names in the Registration Agreement.

Do pseudonyms receive a shorter leash? Count on it!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:54:57 pm by Chris Sanderson »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 02:37:42 am »

Thanks for chipping in, and for for letting it run for a while before doing so, Chris. I'm all for minimizing extra effort, so what about moving from encouraging to requiring? I presume you approve every new member, so that would be no extra effort. Obviously there would need to be a route for people with a good reason for not using a real name - better than "I use this name for all forums".

You'd probably have to lock down the displayed user name too.

Rob C

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 03:25:31 am »

I watched a programme on Cavaliers and Roundheads last night; seems to me we've got Oliver Cromwell right here on LuLa.
So, yes, I do believe in reincarnation - now.

Rob C

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2013, 03:31:31 am »

I watched a programme on Cavaliers and Roundheads last night; seems to me we've got Oliver Cromwell right here on LuLa.
So, yes, I do believe in reincarnation - now.
Rob C
Then you'd be very amused to learn I was born on the anniversary of his death. Seriously, I'm not joking. Thanks for the compliment, but stick to the topic.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2013, 03:40:23 am »

John, as I posted earlier, I do have sympathy with your position on this - but I think it should be a free choice.  The site owner already has the ability to close down an account if they wish.

In my amateur photographic life I have been a member of a local camera club for around 15 years, and we meet once a week.  It is customary for a fair size group of us to go round to a local pub at the end of the evening - the group varying from 5 - 15 or so.  We pull a few tables together and all sit around and chat (and have a beer).  Sometimes the discussions break down into smaller groups, and sometimes the whole table is sharing one discussion.  There are often quite conflicting views.  The subjects are varied, but many of them are about photography - mostly aesthetics rather than technical.  The characters present are very varied too - a good cross-section of local people.

When I participate in posting on this Forum, I almost imagine myself sitting around that table in a pub with a group of varied folk, discussing the issues.  I would never behave in a manner, or say anything that I wouldn't say across that table face to face.  Thus to sit and speak from behind a screen, anonymously, is not acceptable to me.  That is my personal benchmark.  Everyone has to make their own decision.  I can understand there may be some rare cases where  a person may need to keep their identity private, and I can accept that.  But if they do, I believe their online manners should be impeccable.  As Chris has just said, pseudonyms have a shorter leash.

As to the poster who worries about showing up in Google searches, don't say anything you don't really believe to be right.  And anyway, I did a search of my own name and despite having made hundreds of posts here, not a single one showed up in Google.  Only pages from my own website, and those of a writer with the same name.

So, like most areas of life, it should be down to personal choice and principles.  Are you an upfront kind of person who speaks their mind face to face, or would you rather hide from sight and comment from the shadows.  If the latter, just remember that we will be less tolerant of bad behaviour, and perhaps suspect your motives.

Jim

stamper

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2013, 04:04:35 am »

Thanks for chipping in, and for for letting it run for a while before doing so, Chris. I'm all for minimizing extra effort, so what about moving from encouraging to requiring? I presume you approve every new member, so that would be no extra effort. Obviously there would need to be a route for people with a good reason for not using a real name - better than "I use this name for all forums".

You'd probably have to lock down the displayed user name too.

I wonder how a moderator "approves" a new member. Someone registers somewhere in Outer Mongolia. A background check would be a trifle difficult to accomplish. How do you set up a route for checking for people for not using their real name. It takes a few minutes to set up a free email address and register on any forum. Chris has pointed out it is very difficult - imo impossible - to check people out especially because this is a free forum and members don't have to give credit card details.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up