Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why should I use a RIP?  (Read 1968 times)

mg73

Why should I use a RIP?
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:07:53 am »

I've done some research but I'm having some difficulty getting my head around the concept of using a RIP program.  Can someone tell me why I might be justified for spending the money for a RIP program over my current work flow?

I'm currently editing using Adobe CS6, printing through the canon photoshop module onto a Canon ipf8400 using canned icc profiles.  I don't currently own any printer profiling hardware so I do have to spend the money to buy some profiles, such as when I use Epson papers with my canon printer.  I print a wide variety of subjects including landscapes and portraits.  I only sell prints that I print myself.

This is currently a side business/hobby for me.  I don't print large volumes of material currently, so efficiency isn't really a major concern for me at this time. 

Thanks for your help on this,
Mark
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:10:01 am by mg73 »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Why should I use a RIP?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:27:10 am »

I assume you are considering ImagePrint? I downloaded the trial and spent a good deal of time experimenting (you can do anything the full version does but with text superimposed on prints). I was quite disappointed and in fact surprised. I was comparing IP to prints made on a variety of papers and one canvas with a 7900, all using the canned profiles from Epson or the paper manufacturer and with a variety of subject matter (portrait, landscape, macro). Not only weren't the IP print better than the regular prints, they were not different in any meaningful way. With the portrait, for example, I put both prints in my viewing setup and for the life of me the 2 were, except for the superimposed text, identical. With the landscape I could, if I squinted long enough, see some very subtle differences but nothing that would affect the quality of the print or be seen by anyone other than pixel peepers.

Given the grotesque pricing for IP I really expected more. You can always try it for yourself, but for myself (pretty durned fussy about my prints) I find printing from LR and PS to be all I need, and I use QImage for multiple print layouts. QImage is IMO one of very best deals in photo software. I bought a registered copy about 10 years ago and I still get every update, free.

orchidblooms

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:52:07 am »

welll...

I have found in using imagePrint in demo mode - their profiles work much better for my style of photos....  than the canned profiles for the papers i have tested... colors are rendered smoother and brighter and simply look better - and BW images are better in as far as gradation of shadows...

i tend to shoot flowers and nighttime things...

so...

I am moving to using Mirage and doing my own profiling using i1display 2 when the coffers are refilled.... and probably passing imagePrint....

HTH....

gigdagefg

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:24:25 am »

I am an amateur and I print a lot for my own enjoyment. I used to make my own profiles with limited success, but I find that IP has the best profiles on every paper and allows me to quickly instruct my Epson printers as to size and number of images per sheet.
Most of my photographer friend are equally addicted
Stanley

PeterAit

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 10:50:34 am »

If it cost $100 I would probably buy it - but $1500 (for my printer)? No thanks. And I dislike the licensing arrangement. They should take a clue from QImage - buy it once and have it and all upgrades forever. Single use, single printer, but upgrading from one printer to another should also be free. Anyway, if you shelled out for it then I am happy it is worth it for you.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 10:59:11 am »

.... They should take a clue from QImage - buy it once and have it and all upgrades forever. ....

Well, not anymore.  Check the ddisoftware website.  You can buy Qimage Ultimate and get free updates for a year.  Thereafter, update "membership" is $19.99 a year.  You can drop or re new at anytime to get an update thereafter. Qimage Ultimate is well-worth the investment!!

My subscription has expired, but I'll be renewing it shortly sometime, not that I need to, but I don't mind supporting Mike Chaney's efforts here.  Qimage just makes printing easy and more efficient on my 9900.

ken

PeterAit

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 12:25:59 pm »

Well, not anymore.  Check the ddisoftware website.  You can buy Qimage Ultimate and get free updates for a year.  Thereafter, update "membership" is $19.99 a year.  You can drop or re new at anytime to get an update thereafter. Qimage Ultimate is well-worth the investment!!

ken

Interesting, I must have been grandfathered in.

mg73

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:34:20 pm »

I don't have hardware or software to do my own paper/printer icc profiles.  So right now if I want to use a paper that doesn't have a canned profile for my printer (like any Epson paper), I have to have an outside service make a profile.

So let me get this straight...   Let's say I bought IP to use with my setup, ie CS6 on a PC, a NEC monitor profiled with spectraview II, and a canon ipf8400 printer.   Does the IP program have icc profiles for any paper that I'd want to use with this particular setup?

Remko

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 01:31:23 pm »

ImagePrint only supports Epson printers. So if you have an iPF8400, there are no profiles within IP that will work for you.

cheers,
Remko
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:41:35 pm by remko »

philbaum

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 02:39:14 pm »

LR Ver4 seems to have a very nice printing module, at least to my limited experience.  The seamless experience of being in the picture catalog, one click to the develop module and then another click to the printing module, having the same image show up from one to another, works GREAT.

Just reading another thread in this forum about long delays while printing, waiting for the computer to work with a large file.  The poster reported switching to QImage and the delays went away - isn't software wonderful :-)

phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up