Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simmering again.  (Read 1367 times)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Simmering again.
« on: May 10, 2013, 12:09:00 am »

My flesh tones are lobstered again.  I recently got a brand new (warranty replacement) 15" rMBP (10,1; 2.7 GHz 4-core; 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD) -- very similar to the 10-month-old machine it replaced (repeatable kernel panics, two logic board replacements, then machine replacement).  I work in two studios, and take the MBP with me.  I have a PA271W at one location, and an older 2490WUXi2 at the other.  I am installing all software fresh (porting nothing but support files and data files).  OS 10.8.3.  All software is up-to-date as of this week.  I use the Color Munki Photo to calibrate the laptop screen, and SpectraView II to calibrate the NECs.  Everything works.  Everything is calibrated.  After three weeks of cascading hardware failures, I am excited to go back to work.

Suddenly, flesh tones when connected to the PA271W are too red -- like a fresh sunburn.  Recalibrate.  Voodoo power dance (all off, all unplugged, rebuild the set-up and power on unit by unit).  Looks _great_.  Lasts less than a day.  Lobstering again.

I discover one method to bring this on reliably:  open Aperture, and move the program window from the laptop screen to the PA271 screen.  Lobster-slam.  Once it happens, it happens to all images in Preview as well.  Put a windowed image on the laptop screen, looks OK.  Drag it to the NEC screen, goes lobstered.  Drag it back, returns to normal.

If I drag these windows back and forth before the lobster-slam, they "flush" briefly, but settle to normal.  The flush color from laptop screen to NEC screen is red.  The flush color from NEC screen to laptop screen is olive (for a half-second it looks like a XV Netherlands underpainting).

One hour with NEC technician.  The problem, he assures me, is with the OS.  Seems to be a system level argument over which profile to use.  The background of the NEC screen never is affected; just images in program windows.  We run several test images.  The PA271 firmware is up-to-date.  "Talk to Apple" he tells me.

One and one half hours with Apple Level 2 support.  Among much, test a newly created Admin account.  Problem recurs exactly (note: only default profiles used).  Apple insists the problem is not with their hardware or software, thus it must be with the monitor.  "Talk to NEC".

I hasten to a nearby Apple store and check my laptop with a large Apple Cinema display as the second monitor.  Cannot recreate lobstering.  (Don't like the color, but that is a knot to tie in an other thread.)

Go to other studio and check machine with 2490WUXi2.  Cannot recreate lobstering.

Suggestions?  Will call NEC tomorrow.

NB: I had a similar problem when I first bought the PA271W.  The solution (over my head, suggested by NEC) involved a special cable (non-DVI) and, iirc, disabling all ICC v. 4 profiles.  That was maybe two years ago.  Had not had lobstering since.

The new rMBP has two Thunderbolt ports.  The PA271 is cabled using a Display Port to Mini-Display-Port cable purchased from NEC.  The Cinema display was connected via the Thunderbolt cable that is permanently attached to that monitor (afaik).  The 2490WUXi2 is connected via a DVI cable with an Apple DVI-to-Mini-Display-Port dongle.  Prior to the first rMBP I used a 2010 (maybe '11) MBP.  No Thunderbolt ports.  I hooked the monitors up via the mini-Display-Port.  No problems.

Thanks.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Simmering again. (Update. Not worth reading.)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:15:22 pm »

Not unless you have encountered a similar problem, in which case please speak up.   ;)

Tested the monitor (PA271W) with three different cables, two different computers, four different user accounts.  Problem is repeatable in all cases.  Tested two other monitors.  Problem does not recur.  NEC is providing a replacement (refurbished) monitor at no cost (I pay shipping one way), as mine is still under warranty even though it is 3.5 years old.  NEC technician still thinks the problem is in software.  (I don't know enough to have an opinion other than that it doesn't seem impossible.  The monitor worked well until I replaced the computer.)  Should have the replacement monitor Tuesday.  Use the NEC 2490WUXi2 for critical work for now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up