Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rum  (Read 5058 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Rum
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:12:11 pm »

Hi all,

I haven't posted an image for a while, so thought I would post something from two nights ago.

This is an image taken from a very remote part of the IoS and looking towards the Isle of Rum. It is a small rocky bay that is well off the beaten track (in fact there is no track), that I discovered a couple of months ago and that as far as I am aware, no one else knows about, other than a few sheep. The view to the right of where I am standing is towards the back of the Black Cuillins and the view to the left and what you see here, is towards the Isle of Rum.

It is another beautiful day up here (yes Bill, it really is believe me) and so I am going there again in about an hour and after I have made the boss a nice spag bol, because as I am now looking out through my front window, the clouds look very promising, small and fluffy, so a really good sunset may be on the cards  :)

Dave

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Rum
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:41:52 pm »

Nice. The light is incredibly soft. I must get back up that way soon. Before the weather turns to the normal low cloud & rain.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:43 pm »

Nice leading lines, Dave. I envy you your clouds, we've had cloudless skies for days which kinda put a damper on the weekend landscape photography.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »

Thanks guys ;D

Nice. The light is incredibly soft. I must get back up that way soon. Before the weather turns to the normal low cloud & rain.

Yes we had a few days of the type of bad weather you are talking about Bill (low clouds, rain coming down sideways etc) at the beginning of the week, but then it all cleared up and for the last few days it has been wonderful - the BBC weather forecast said we were under cloud and rain most of today, which we weren't at all, but then that is no surprise, as the BBC regularly gets it completely wrong for us poor souls this far north, because we are so far away from London you see, so if it aint happening in London, then it aint happening...!

A slight breeze in London = head lines news and constant 24Hr ticker tape updates on the BBC.
Gale force winds and hurricanes in the North West of Scotland = what, where, who, Scotland you say, where's that then?

Nice leading lines, Dave. I envy you your clouds, we've had cloudless skies for days which kinda put a damper on the weekend landscape photography.

Well not trying to make you too envious, but tonight was even better, I haven't had a chance to get onto the PC yet to sift through the images, but I think I might have one or two worth showing  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:54:17 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 06:57:21 pm »

... I think I might have one or two worth showing  :)

Well come on; hurry up!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:22:04 am »

Looks like a very nice location. And a really good photo.

Jeff Worsnop

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:23:30 am »

Thanks guys ;D

Yes we had a few days of the type of bad weather you are talking about Bill (low clouds, rain coming down sideways etc) at the beginning of the week, but then it all cleared up and for the last few days it has been wonderful

Dave

We usually visit an Inner Hebrides island the first full week in May - but went in April this year.
The May weather has been wonderful for the last few years. The highlight being a week of constant sunshine on Eigg about five years ago. I got some spectacular shots of the sun setting behind Rum.
Also early May is also good because the midges haven't woken up!!!
Cheers
Jeff

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 09:25:38 am »

Nice photo, eh...but what the heck is a spag bol?
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 09:40:21 am »

Called 'spaghetti' in North America. Spaghetti Bolognese is spaghetti with tomato sauce.
Pronounce tomato as you wish.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:29 am »

Called 'spaghetti' in North America. Spaghetti Bolognese is spaghetti with tomato meat sauce.

In some parts of Italy the mere mention of tomato in Bolognese sauce could get you expelled indefinitely…
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 10:27:56 am »

Chris, you 'll be asking me to explain what Chickling and Bag is next..  ;D

Called 'spaghetti' in North America. Spaghetti Bolognese is spaghetti with tomato sauce.

Thank you Scott, I thought everyone knew what 'Spag Bol' was  :)

Well come on; hurry up!

OK Bill, here is another shot of the same location, but from the following night and in exactly the opposite direction to the original image above.

This shot also goes to prove Bill that yes you are right and it does indeed rain up here and very heavily if its a mind to. In fact you can see the cloud burst of rain starting to come down in front of me (top right), and a beam of light from a small break in the cloud (top left), that is helping to illuminate the heavy skies as well as light up the rocks in the midground. A thick curtain of rain then proceeded to crawl right by me, but thankfully, never a drop fell where I was stood.

Dave

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:16 am »

Oh and for those with a keen eye, its a sheep's leg bone, I went over after the shot and had a good look at it. And oddly enough, I also found wedged into the rocks, one of those many thousands of yellow plastic bath ducks that sailed around the world about ten years ago.

Dave

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 11:26:53 am »

What's the green stuff half-way up & over towards the right-hand side?

Francesco Carucci

• Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 06:34:50 pm »

If I may, Bolognese is not only tomato sauce, but tomato sauce cooked with sedan, carrots, beef and pork sprayed with white (or red) wine. Hate being a picky italian :)

Sweet side lighting, Dave, and I love the sky.
Game Developer Advocate at Google
Facebook|Portfolio|Blog|Shop

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 03:25:14 am »

OK Bill, here is another shot of the same location, but from the following night and in exactly the opposite direction to the original image above.

I like this a lot more than the first one, Dave. Lovely light.

Jeremy

Tony Jay

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 05:10:06 am »

The light is very special in both these images Dave.
Photography - writing with light!

Tony Jay

Guy R

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 12:58:56 pm »

Beautiful shots Dave, the light and depth is gorgeous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up