Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe DNG - your thoughts  (Read 1445 times)

MrIconoclast

Adobe DNG - your thoughts
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:47:38 am »

Greetings.

I have been thinking lately of how I store my images for the long term (My long term that is - I have no delusions that others will want to work with me images 100 years from now!)   I have been thinking of converting my Nikon on Olympus RAW files to the Adobe DNG standard.

Have others done this?  Is their any loss of quality?  Or loss of the ability to work with an image to bring out its best?

Now that Adobe is thinking of going to the cloud for future PS editions, there will come a time when they will not update ACR for newer cameras.  So, if I keep CS6, future RAW images from future cameras may need to be converted to DNG to work with CS 6. 

So, why not just go to DNG for all my images and forget saving RAW images from Nikon and Olympus.

Thanks for your thoughts.

yaredna

Re: Adobe DNG - your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 02:40:03 am »

Do you REALLY want to rely on an ADOBE's format for your legacy work? After pulling the rug under our feet, i would not trust this company at all...

Chris Pollock

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:27:56 am »

Why not just keep copies in both formats? Storage isn't that expensive these days. Better safe than sorry.

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »

Why not just keep copies in both formats? Storage isn't that expensive these days. Better safe than sorry.

If DNG is truly enduring, then one must imagine the DNG convert will be also.  Therefore, if the 'end of the world' happens with my proprietary RAW, I guess I can always convert to DNG then.

John

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:20 pm »

Do you REALLY want to rely on an ADOBE's format for your legacy work? After pulling the rug under our feet, i would not trust this company at all...

The format is published. Why use "Adobe" as a term of abuse?

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up