Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe doesn't mention OTHER Creative Cloud Benefit  (Read 10311 times)

Michael West

Adobe doesn't mention OTHER Creative Cloud Benefit
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:34:56 am »

In all the discussion of the benefits of the Creative Cloud nowhere have I read there mentioning the "Creative Clouds" imperviousness to Theft.

I doubt there will be any websites offering Free copies of Photoshop when the Creative Cloud is The SOLE purveyor of Adobe software

Ben Rubinstein

Re: Adobe doesn't mention OTHER Creative Cloud Benefit
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:06:59 pm »

Dream on.

yaredna

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:25:25 pm »

In all the discussion of the benefits of the Creative Cloud nowhere have I read there mentioning the "Creative Clouds" imperviousness to Theft.

I doubt there will be any websites offering Free copies of Photoshop when the Creative Cloud is The SOLE purveyor of Adobe software

Right... Wake-up, man. The software is NOT run on Adobe's servers, it is downloaded and run on your machine. The only difference is the activation process.

Wanna bet we will see CC versions floating on torrent and in some countries in south east asia within a week from launch?

Software is software. It will be hacked. The Adobe previous activation system punished us, paying customers, while pirates continued pirating. The rental is going to be the same story.

Michael West

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:17:32 pm »

I had not paid close enough attention to the "facts of the cloud". was embarrassingly unaware that the software would not be browser based.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:16 pm »

I had not paid close enough attention to the "facts of the cloud". was embarrassingly unaware that the software would not be browser based.

Even so, kids hack into Pentagon and NASA, for god's sake.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 01:48:23 am »

Even so, kids hack into Pentagon and NASA, for god's sake.

Kids? Or North Korea and/or China's military? Don't spread FUD...be sure you blame the real bad guys...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 01:59:26 am »

Kids? Or North Korea and/or China's military? Don't spread FUD...be sure you blame the real bad guys...

See this:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Greek-Teenager-Arrested-for-Hacking-into-Pentagon-FBI-and-NSA-205040.shtml
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:20:27 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 02:31:19 am »

Dateline June 8th, 2011 about hacks from 2008/2009...old news in internet years!

What do you got from the last 6 months?

That's why I referred to North Korea (bringing the South Korean banking system down a couple of months ago) and China hacking into the NY Times (later last year).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:02:51 am »

Hi Jeff,

Companies/governments do not like to disclose such intelligence about security breaches, but even something as a DDOS attack can cripple large parts of society, as many people became aware of last month in the Netherlands when they could not pay for their groceries at the checkout counter. Their bank was, for several days, under a DDOS attack (which is not the same as breaking in and stealing money, but merely creating enough traffic to swamp the log-in servers and slow them to a grind).

http://www.ddosattacks.net/ has some more news on that type of disruptions (pretty annoying if it happens when your CC subscription is verified).

We do not need to exaggerate such issues, but downplaying such issues is as foolish as ignoring them. We should take them seriously, and try to find ways of reducing the risk, instead of increasing it.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. just happened to stumble on this report:
Washington state courts hacked; potentially up to 160,000 Social Security numbers accessed
The breach happened due to vulnerability in an Adobe Systems Inc. software program, ColdFusion, that has since been patched, court officials said.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:51:52 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 12:21:38 pm »

Dateline June 8th, 2011 about hacks from 2008/2009...old news in internet years!

That's why I referred to North Korea (bringing the South Korean banking system down a couple of months ago) and China hacking into the NY Times (later last year).

Jeff,

I appreciate the restrained response. In retrospective, that's how my own post could and should have been as well. I guess I was too much under the influence of the tone of the debate raging in other Adobe threads recently. I edited my post subsequently.

However, my point is that it can be done, and that even kids can do it, let alone governments.

If someone doubts that governments have any interest in Photoshop, just remember the The Axis of Photoshop Evil Doers: Iran, North Korea, etc.  ;)

Looks like that, as of recently, even Adobe joined the Axis. ;)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:26:16 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:54 pm »

It's a case of Pandora's Electonic Box. (Not being rude here.)

Was a time I felt life was 'normal' and one could carry on doing much what one had been doing or, alternatively, change everything around, but at least that latter option felt under some sort of control.

Today, things control us.

For example, for no good reason or even any act of mine, my computer's toolbar has leaped from running neatly along the bottom edge of the screen to a new, stupid position along the right edge. This means all the windows I open and view are now narrower and my Desktop layout has been effed. Try as I might, dragging the thing only widens it and there is no way I can find of relocating it peacefully at the bottom of the monitor again. Thank you, Vista, for your new party piece.

You see what I mean about losing control?

Rob C

Gothmoth

Gothmoth

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 01:52:33 pm »

well who cares?

kids did hack it.. he is right so accept it for gods sake.
no need to try to have the last word every time.

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 03:18:57 pm »

Hi Jeff,

Companies/governments do not like to disclose such intelligence about security breaches, but even something as a DDOS attack can cripple large parts of society, as many people became aware of last month in the Netherlands when they could not pay for their groceries at the checkout counter. Their bank was, for several days, under a DDOS attack (which is not the same as breaking in and stealing money, but merely creating enough traffic to swamp the log-in servers and slow them to a grind).

http://www.ddosattacks.net/ has some more news on that type of disruptions (pretty annoying if it happens when your CC subscription is verified).

We do not need to exaggerate such issues, but downplaying such issues is as foolish as ignoring them. We should take them seriously, and try to find ways of reducing the risk, instead of increasing it.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. just happened to stumble on this report:
Washington state courts hacked; potentially up to 160,000 Social Security numbers accessed

These days you have crime as a service. For $20 you can pay for an DDOS attack and they will even guarantee that they take down the site for the period paid for, or you will get your money back. Operating out of Russia. You don´t even have to be a script kiddie any more, just pay to crash and take down whatever you don´t like.   >:(

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Schewe

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 03:11:40 am »

Exactly how do you think I was ignoring them?

The fact that NYTs actually admitted their hacking (and other media companies also admitted they were hacked) is an important breakthrough.

There are white hats and black hats...

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 04:14:01 am »

+1, also note that these days "upsetting people" seems to guarantee a DDoS attack sooner rather than later. Doesn't particularly matter who is being upset and for what reason.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 04:29:32 am »

Exactly how do you think I was ignoring them?

Slobodan responded to Michael that not only browser based (Cloud) products/services carry some risk, and that nobody is invulnerable, even The FBI and NASA. In other words, relying on an internet connection to be able and conduct your business (think subscription verification in order to remotely shut down software) carries operational risk (amongst others). Seems like a good observation to me.

However, you responded:

and later:

I could be mistaken, but that sounds like downplaying the vulnerabilities/risks and the frequency of occurrence, which would be as foolish as ignoring them.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 04:43:26 am »

+1, also note that these days "upsetting people" seems to guarantee a DDoS attack sooner rather than later. Doesn't particularly matter who is being upset and for what reason.

Exactly. It's modern day anarchy, and even kids can do it (even if they do not understand the issues or the consequences). It takes very little to upset some people, so it is not just something theoretical.  

A system that can be shut down so easily, without a means to access one's own work in progress, is not smart. Not offering a perpetual usage option as a contingency measure is even foolish, as is downplaying it.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:46:41 am by BartvanderWolf »

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 09:35:57 am »

Would I be being foolish if I saw this as an opportunity to turn back the tide to film and real papers?

Imagine for a moment, if you dare: the real thing again!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up