Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad idea to purchase Photoshop CS6  (Read 2833 times)

yaredna

Bad idea to purchase Photoshop CS6
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:36:01 pm »

I have two packages that we use at home:
. My wife uses a Creative Suite Web Premium CS3 -- she bought it for $1,700 to use dreamweaver. She doesn't need any new feature in CS4, 5 or 6... no need to upgrade
. I owned photoshop CS2, upgraded to CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS6 (skipped 5.5)

Here is a situation: I am upgrading my computer, and giving her mine. What i did:
. Uninstall CS6 from my old computer
. Installed it on my new computer
Worked like a charm.

I moved my old computer to my wife's desk. Tried installing CS3... did not work. Called Adobe service: they will not allow me to deactivate the license on her old computer and move it to the new. Reason received: CS3 is too old , cannot move these licenses anymore.

Bottom line: the "perpetual license" that we all think we are getting right to, when we purchased a CS1-6 package, was smoke and mirror. The "activation" license, "meant to dissuade pirates", was actually a Trojan Horse to force users to upgrade, even if they don't need it.

Bottom line: my wife reverted back to using her old computer. When it will die, i will ask her to forget about using dreamweaver and learn another tool.
The same will happen soon with CS6 -- don't fool yourselves into thinking that this a license forever: the activation code means it is not. One day, when Adobe decides so, or when they go bankrupt, you cannot replace a hard drive, a graphic adaptor or a motherboard on your computer without rendering your CS6 useless.

One friendly advice: don't buy CS6 now, and don't dream about keeping your already purchased CS6 forever.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Bad idea to purchase Photoshop CS6
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:24:51 pm »

Two things are *not impossible*: (a) Adobe has a limit on how many versions back they will support a customer, whether for technical or commercial issues. That strikes me as not unreasonable. We can't expect indefinite backward compatibility of software as computer operating systems advance. Costs would increase and revenues would decrease.
(b) There are technical factors that would inhibit CS3 from working on the computer you wanted to install it on. (You didn't say what the computers are. "Old" and "new" doesn't mean much, if you are here looking for help judt in case any one knows what versions would work on what computer OS vintage - I wouldn't however).

All that said I agree with your advice about not considering any version of software a permanent keeper. Technical change doesn't allow us that luxury. But it isn't a reason to single-out Adobe and bash them. It's in the DNA of high-tech industry. The only aspect of it that sometimes annoys me is when software vendors pull stuff prematurely and replace it with a version that isn't ready for prime time. Adobe is not one of those.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 07:31:51 pm »

I deactivated and moved CS3 between computers with no problem last December (I have my original install disc).  Before that, though I had to text chatwith Adobe support to get old installs on formatted drives (i forgot to deactivate before upgrading the OS) deactivated, which went very smoothly.  Admittedly, that was 6 months ago.  As long as the activation servers are up and running, you should be able to deactivate and move without involving Adobe support.  There must be something in your story I am missing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:24:49 pm by AFairley »

tived

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:00:11 pm »

There is usually two seats by license, as in you can install it on two different computers. If you only have CS3 installed on one computer you should still have a second seat.

Yes, something does not make sense here

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up