Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will you please stop the animated ads?  (Read 10690 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Will you please stop the animated ads?
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:09:50 pm »

I know that this site - which I love - needs to have ad income. But, there is suddenly a rash of animated ads that not only drive me nuts but are idiotic. When I am reading a post or some other site content, I really do not want to have these flickering, changing ads on the screen. It gives me a headache and makes me want to not visit the site. Please PLEASE do not surrender the excellence of this site to the blandishments of the advertisers.

michael

Re: Will you please stop the animated ads?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:20:01 pm »

As you say, they serve a purpose. They attract reader's attention.

In any event, when you scroll down a bit they disappear. The faster you read, the sooner they disappear.

Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 12:21:37 pm »

I think we had this debate before and, if I remember correctly, the answer was: it works. Just like canned laughter in comedy shows, looks silly, but actually works.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 03:06:42 pm »

A note to Chairman Bill:

Posting links to software that removes my income pisses me off!

PeterAit

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 03:24:50 pm »

As you say, they serve a purpose. They attract reader's attention.

Michael

I don't disagree, but I still don't want to see them. I want my attention to go where I send it, not where some cheesy gimmick attracts it. If I go to see King Lear, naked women dancing will "attract my attention" but I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THEM. I want to see the play. On point of principle, I will never click one of these animated ads.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:19:35 pm »

I don't disagree, but I still don't want to see them. I want my attention to go where I send it, not where some cheesy gimmick attracts it. If I go to see King Lear, naked women dancing will "attract my attention" but I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THEM. I want to see the play. On point of principle, I will never click one of these animated ads.

Are you going to see a free play or did you buy a ticket?  ;D

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:42:16 pm »

The fact that you would rather see an old whining man mope about the stage, than admire naked dancing women saddens me beyond words.  ;)

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 05:41:32 pm »

The fact that you would rather see an old whining man mope about the stage, than admire naked dancing women saddens me beyond words.  ;)

- N.

This depends, to a large extent, upon the dancers.

A whining old git with a huge talent is far more interesting than a dancer with no ability, even if she's pretty. I was watching Zee Zee Tops doing a song with Carmen Electra: in that case, even though there are two (fake) whining old men, I'd rather see the dancer, even if she lacks a certain fluidity, for which she attempts to make up with jerks...

http://youtu.be/ZvBJLZPB7M8

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:13:48 am »

A baseball cap with a long brim. Wear it while viewing the site and the brim will block out the ads. Personally I didn't notice them till I read this thread and when I looked up they were there. They aren't going away because they provide free usage of the site.  8)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 04:56:21 am »

A baseball cap with a long brim. Wear it while viewing the site and the brim will block out the ads. Personally I didn't notice them till I read this thread and when I looked up they were there. They aren't going away because they provide free usage of the site.  8)

I'm sure it is only in the USA that men sit at their computer screens wearing baseball caps.  Though I have to agree that in this one rare case the habit may actually be warranted! :D

Jim

PeterAit

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:46:59 am »

Let me repeat that I have no objections to ads, per se - I know they make the site possible. It's the animated blinking ads that bug me. Anyway, they obviously aren't going to change so I will just try to ignore them.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:11:05 am »

I'm sure it is only in the USA that men sit at their computer screens wearing baseball caps.  Though I have to agree that in this one rare case the habit may actually be warranted! :D

Jim

Well, in most other countries it's a sign of poor breeding to wear a hat indoors, that's partly why the bandana: nobody expects you to remove it - but nobody.

Equally, though I don't know the man, I wouldn't want to call SeƱor Steven Spielberg names; you never can tell when you might just bump into him; why blow your chances of stardom as a unit snapper?

http://youtu.be/dDpMrQYoDuc

;-)

Rob C

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:12:50 pm by Rob C »

fredjeang2

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 05:15:05 pm »

Maybe some people should go and have a look on the "Cow" to see what advert in a website really means.
After that flashing experience, you come back in Lu-La and you don't even notice the ads.

Oh well, some wake-up and have a bad coffee, it's been raining for weeks, my dog has destroyed the brand new sofa...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:39:11 am by fredjeang2 »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 05:53:04 pm »

AdrianW

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 06:37:38 pm »

I'm afraid I find the animated ads annoying too. Mind you I don't like video, so I'm probably not your target market ;)

Peter; if you're running Firefox, I can strongly recommend a plug-in called QuickJava, it allows you to turn off animations (or indeed images, java, css,...) with a click on a toolbar. Very handy.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 02:06:50 am »

Hi,

I don't understand the whole discussion here :

Michael and his team invite us without having to pay for it to their website. We can customize all very interesting information without paying any buck for it. We can leave our personal opinion here in in this forum without having to pay for it.  It not only costs much time and effort for the whole team to run such an incredible source of great information, it also costs much money. So, if you will go on customizing these information without haviong to pay for it, you should consider that the Lula-team has to find a way to pay the bills. And, if animated ads pay a bigger portion if it, it will be ok, or, in clearer words, we don't have to judge whether it is ok or not !

In Germany we say ' if you don't like the innkeeper of a pub, take the other pub next corner'.

It is just my peronal view on such things !

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 02:42:55 am »

I haven't yet seen one. Are they withheld from non-USA markets, or from impoverished viewers?
Ken Cameron

fredjeang2

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 06:44:53 am »

If the banners were gorgeous pinups in high-heels and bikinis,
This thread would have never existed...

There will be then some complains that there aren't enough
Ads...

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 08:23:07 am »

By the way, writting my dog has pee, but what's the past participe of pee. Peed? Sounds wired.
I'd go for "My dog did a pee on my sofa"
As for "sounds wired" did you mean "sounds weird"? Simple trypo, or was it on something stronger than the coffee?

Kevin

fredjeang2

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:01:30 am »

I'd go for "My dog did a pee on my sofa"
As for "sounds wired" did you mean "sounds weird"? Simple trypo, or was it on something stronger than the coffee?

Kevin

Thanks for the english tip Kevin.
Before you gave me the clew I edited the sentence for not knowing the correct way.
And yeah...it was weird and not wired...
I need to take serious english classes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up